Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well then, another good weekend had at Billing Aquadrome!

First off - MANY, MANY THANKS to all who came along, both campers and day visitors!

It was great to catch up with all of you and was excellent to see a group of new faces along for the full weekend too. :)

Right, so my weekend started at 7am Friday, when Nigel turned up to mine earlier than expected - cue suddenly waking up to a doorbell ringing, a mad spaniel barking at the front door, and an alarm going off on the phone at the same time. Mind = blown. Dave no function.
Anyway, by 8am, I had woken slightly more, and then we finished off packing the car ready to leave for Bristol when it transpired that its battery was flat. Brilliant. We managed to get it jumped and started, with no obvious reason for being dead (it was fine on the Thursday!). We then went up to Bristol and met Mark to do the food shopping at Costco, which was all good. The car then needed jump starting, again, to get us on the way to Northampton. Mark couldn't make it this year unfortunately, he'll be at the next one though.
We had a steady drive up, being careful to not stall anywhere, which again was pretty uneventful apart from some crap traffic once we joined the A34 at Oxford... Standard. We did have a little bit of fun with a Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Estate that is currently being used on the Pistonheads fleet (stickered up and recognized from their articles) between Silverstone & Northampton. DO WANT MUCHLY. We went straight to a Halfords in town, and bought a new battery for my car, and all seems fine since. Bah.
We were the first to arrive at the site, shortly followed by Phil (Stoneshed) and then again followed by Alex. We got the stand set-up underway and also got the BBQ alight and then settled into the normal shenanigans that Billing brings along...
Members that turned up on Friday to camp through the weekend were;
- Trav & Lee (Cavhopper & Wheelybigcheese)
- Nathan R (NathanR94) & Hannah/Eleanor (depending on if you were Alex or not)
- Nathan B (NathanB95) & entourage
- JP (JPS1) & Rachel & Charlotte/Piglet & Bruce
- Dawn (Dawn68) & Richard

Saturday saw a fair few of us being woken by the rather lovely rattling of the bin truck passing by. Such a beautiful alarm. Anyway, we didn't get up to much for most of the day, until some conversation followed by me saying 'I've got space on my phone' resulted in us spending a good few hours discussing & professionally making our very own version of Wheeler Dealers, later called 'Wheelie Bin Dealers' - more on that in a separate thread...
We saw the arrival of Kris (Vauxmad Kris) & Shelly, as well as the day visit of Sy & Trish.
Matt (Matt-sri) made two visits today, so a trip of 30-45 miles, after coming over whilst Jo was at work, before leaving to pick her up and return later on.
It was pretty hot and humid during the afternoon, so a half-hearted walk around the site was done, and a few photos were taken, but with little enthusiasm, purely due to feeling too hot to be bothered!
The majority of the group went out in the evening to the Fairground, but did a runner whilst I was having a quick toilet break (bastards) so I stayed at the stand to make sure our stuff didn't go walkies, and to utilise the generator to charge my phone up. Lee & Trav, and Nigel were also around the stand, so we spent some time watching some videos of a fat man eating stuff and I also started doing the editing for Wheelie Bin Dealers with a free app.
We had a little bit of rain in the late evening, and after the fair/pub goers returned, everyone just went to bed....

Sunday was a much cooler day, but still relatively warm. We finished the final scenes for Wheelie Bin Dealers and then set about getting Matts Monaro over for our entry to the Chairmans Cup, exhaust blow and all...
Sy & Trish returned for a second day, which was really good of them!
It was a waste of time, although it's a 'bit of fun' it is also ridiculous. Too many clubs multi vote in blocks to get their cars to win awards. And then the VBOA also contradict their own rules when putting cars into their categories. Standard Cars can have subtle mods, but should mostly be as they came from the factory (ie no engine swaps), yet the winner for the standard car this year was a Calibra with a 3.2 V6... go figure. Waste of time for us, again!
After the awards, Matt wouldn't do what everyone else there was suggesting - to drive off with high revs and low traction... Booooo.
A large number of members then stayed away and helped pack away the last few bits of club gear away, and then we all went our separate ways to see the end of another year at the VBOA National Rally.

All in all, even with a small turnout (though better than last year!), it was still a good weekend. I think we will even be seeing some of the new members return next year as veterans, which is great!

Roll on next year! :D

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pics, not many - didn't seem to wander as much this year;
IMG_7064 by djgritt, on Flickr
IMG_7068 by djgritt, on Flickr
IMG_7069 by djgritt, on Flickr
IMG_7070 by djgritt, on Flickr
IMG_7071 by djgritt, on Flickr