Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Yawn.
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well then. Another year, and like 2009, an excellent weekend was had.

Thanks go to Matt & Nic for the organisation - and especially to Nic for sticking around for the whole weekend this time!

Thanks to Alex for the majority of the BBQ work - no known food related casualties this year so far...

Thanks to the members who attended and made it such a good weekend - especially the newer faces

:Cool2:

Right, my take on the weekend;

Friday - we left Dorset in the early afternoon - had a very good run up, not encountering any traffic atall, well, until we took the advised A43/Silverstone avoidance... The suggested alternative route actually merged with the diverted traffic, so between Buckingham and Northampton, we lost over 1hr by sitting in traffic. Still, we arrived between 6 & 7pm, to a very healthily populated stand considering, with more turning up after us - once everyone staying the whole weekend had arrived, we had 15 cars on the stand - thats the best turnout on a Friday for the last 3 years - good to see that. There was some good banter etc going on during the evening - Matt B entertained us when he pitched his eBay special Tent - made Phils look tiny, for which he was most upset...
The usual suspects eventually got bored of the intellectual convo going on on the stand, and disappeared in search of more alcohol and clunge. You may all be shocked to hear that again they were unsuccessful in finding Clunge... :lmao:
A moderately early night was had by most on Friday, until a few of us we woken by the return of the others - although this turned out to be rather entertaining, especially for myself and Nic, who had Phil & Matt B's tents pitched between our 2 - a lot of 'and then' and Duck **** related talk was happening...
Then I fell asleep, and thats all i remember of that.

Saturday - an early start for most, with a majority agreeing that the early sun was just too hot, turning tents into synthetic fibre sweatboxes once it shone on them for a couple of minutes - Danboy was giving his car the 10000000000000th coat of wax of the day not long after I woke up, so some humourous OCD related comments were thrown about... Dan takes it well though, and in all honesty, with the way the Vectra shone for the weekend, the waxing etc was definitely worth it. More people began to turn up, notably Si (WBC) who promptly upon his arrival, promptly starting faffing on the Cav - I think he was at it til well into the afternoon.
The stand was laid out once a few had arrived - after some extensive motivation seeking, long thinking and dismissal of Phils 'spelling out VxON with cars' idea due to the lack of a Helicopter or similar to make it effective - we eventually went for a staggered layout to try to make the stand more inviting for people to walk around on - last year was laid out well, but we didn't seem to get many people having closer looks - the removal of the front bunting 'fence' worked well, and the use of it to completely cut off our neighbouring club worked well in stopping a lot of people walking across the stand as a shortcut - will have to remember these findings for future events...
By the evening, we had 22 and half cars on display - which was good to see - very comparable to last year, with only 1 non-vauxhall present and being used as a generator anchor within the camping area - this was the lowest number of non-vx present in the 3 years I've been.
Saturday evening was similar to friday - except the bar-goers acquired new members of their drinking team with Naomi, Matt & Jo. Their hi-jinks are likely to be documented elsewhere eventually...
FOr the hardocre stand veterans, we amused ourselves by supervising Matt, Si and occasionally, Steve, whilst they were changing the Wishbones on Marvin - well, Steve was more into supplying extra lighting from his port-a-lamp and beating bolts to near death. :lmao:
Once that was all done some more convo was had, and Matt decided that he was hungry - BBQ fun was looming due to it not wanting to stay lit - cue a few of us, paper plates, coal, plastic cups and lots of petrol. The timing was bad, as soon as it was ready for food, all the drinkers returned, resulting in a 2-3am BBQ. We even had some visitors arrive in the form of Turbodave and pals - obviously the stench of petrol cooked Sausage was too intriguing to ignore whilst on a walkabout.
Everyone seemed to disappear into their tents once the food had gone, fair enough.

Sunday - woke up to rain! Well. Drizzle. For about 5 minutes. Then the sun came out! Hot again, but noticeably cooler than yesterday, which was good. The day started off with everyone nominating for their choice for car of the club to be put forward - the result was Rich's white Cav Mk2 XE (the other nominees put forward were Abos Black Cav Mk2 LET, Danboys Vec C, and Jims GTE Champ) - it was cleaned up and then put on the line up in the main arena for the afternoon - unfortunately, it didn't win any of the trophies, but it was definitely a worthy entry, attracting a fair amount of interest.
During/after the voting period and results, the stand was slowly cleared up and people started making their way home earlier to try to avoid any F1 traffic etc. The people who hung around the stand mainly were entertained by people trying to fold away their quick-tents... :lmao:
We made our way home after all of the awards and the raffle etc, and had a decent drive back compared to the one up.

Good weekend, and will definitely be returning next year! :Cool2:

·
Yawn.
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics;

Friday night stand;

Saturday;

Sunday;

Saturday on the stand;

Early morning BBQ;

Matt Bs massive tent;

Tent collapsing fails;

Member Cars;

LSI - Carlton GSi 3000;

Vauxmad_Kris - Vectra GSi;

Dazzi - VXR Nurburgring;

Heath - Cavalier Turbo 4x4;

Danboy - Vectra C;

Stoneshed - Signum V6;

Blitz - Cavalier Mk2 XE;

Abocav - Cavalier Mk2 SRi LET;

Cavman - Cav V6;

Mark - Vectra LSRi Estate;

Blotto - Calibra V6 - note how he is trying to sell it to the Welsh boyos already... :lmao:

JPS1 - Astra GTE LET;

Matt-SRi - Frank the Ramshackle Omega;

Wayne (or Paul!) - Chevette XE;

Paul (or Wayne!) - Cavalier GSi;

Nic - Cavalier '1.8i';

Mine - Corsa Sport;

Matt B UK - Astra Van;

WBC - Cavalier GSI LET;

Jimbo - Astra GTE Champion;

Alex - Marvin the Mabungo Carlton;

Greasemonkey - Frontera;

More Pics;

·
Likes this.
11,020 Posts
Great write-up Dave, superb pics.

Impressed with the standard of cars on our stand - there's something for everyone really, which reflects very well what VxON is all about :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
dismissal of Phils 'spelling out VxON with cars' idea due to the lack of a Helicopter or similar to make it effective -
I thought long and hard over that layout and put a lot of effort into it, we just needed 17 cars and a scaffold tower to do it right :lmao:

Cracking pictures, was nice to see you both again, just don't do any damage to Marge!! :D

·
Yawn.
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lmao...Great pics.
Cheers chap

Great write-up Dave, superb pics.

Impressed with the standard of cars on our stand - there's something for everyone really, which reflects very well what VxON is all about :cool:
Cheers Steve
Definitley one you and Keith should consider trying to get to next year IMO :up:

awsome pics nice one
Cheers

I thought long and hard over that layout and put a lot of effort into it, we just needed 17 cars and a scaffold tower to do it right :lmao:

Cracking pictures, was nice to see you both again, just don't do any damage to Marge!! :D
:lmao:

She's 'restrained' in the Corsa using Rape Ties, be reet. :lmao:

·
Likes this.
11,020 Posts
Cheers Steve
Definitley one you and Keith should consider trying to get to next year IMO :up:
Yeah, haven't been since 2007, which was the very first VxON Club stand at Billing.

I'd like to go next year, even if it's just saturday and sunday. Will see how it all pans out. Would have liked to have gone this year too, but my bank balance said no, lol.

·
Yawn.
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to go next year, even if it's just saturday and sunday. Will see how it all pans out. Would have liked to have gone this year too, but my bank balance said no, lol.
Would be good if you could - you've got plenty of time to save up too - and if you can cope with eating just BBQ food, then you don't have to worry about eating costs as the club pay for that and provide the BBQ 3-4 times a day, so you only need to cover drinks, pitch fees and fuel.

Plus there could then actually be a SW Convoy... :lmao:

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
I'm glad I gave that tent away now :D Good pics Dave.

I sat behind the DHOOP Monaro all the way through the M1 roadworks hoping to hear a V8 roar at the end of them, but he just sissied his way up to 65 mph and stayed there.

·
Rascal
12,106 Posts
Indeed, cracking pictures. That black wide arched Firenza looks the nuts! How did I manage to miss that.

Was good to meet you chap!
Its got a Ford racing V8 under the bonnet too, and the numberplate has the tagline "F*CK THE ENVIRONMENT GO DRAG RACING"

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,977 Posts
Cracking pics. Sounds like a great weekend. I really should go next year - much like Steve, my bank account said 'no' this year.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Great pics, Dave. Not had a chance to look previously due to having only been on t'interwebs on my phone recently.

Ditto matey - really want to make it next year. The stand was missing a crappy, lacquer peeled, rusty 1.8 LS Vec B - Marvin would have put mine to shame! Nice to see some pics of Frank, too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts