Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
You are going to have to clean it up, and try to find where it's coming from.
If it's not dripping when parked up, I would get the gearbox oil level checked, and then keep an eye on it.
Are you sure someone hasn't just spilled oil when topping up, or after an oil change?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying, I’ve checked the brake/clutch fluid reservoir and it looks to be full, or just under the max level.

It doesn’t look to be leaking anymore but it definitely has left a couple patches of oil where I’ve parked it up in the last few days. There is also oil in the engine bay cover on the underside of the van.

I’ve asked around a bit and some people think it might be a seal that is broken somewhere in the driveshaft/gearbox area? Do you know if that is a big job?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are going to have to clean it up, and try to find where it's coming from.
If it's not dripping when parked up, I would get the gearbox oil level checked, and then keep an eye on it.
Are you sure someone hasn't just spilled oil when topping up, or after an oil change?
I replied just below

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
If it's not leaking anymore then either it's run out of oil, or it was spilled oil finding it's way down.
Clean it all off, get the gearbox oil level checked, then see where you go from there.
The only way to tell for sure where it's coming from is to get it up in the air & have a good look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's not leaking anymore then either it's run out of oil, or it was spilled oil finding it's way down.
Clean it all off, get the gearbox oil level checked, then see where you go from there.
The only way to tell for sure where it's coming from is to get it up in the air & have a good look.
Yeah it could quite possibly be from where they filled up the transmission with fluid. The only reason being as the engine bay cover is lose and is/was dripping from where it’s now hanging lose. Over the last 24hours I’ve seen no new oil marks and drove the van a short journey and gear changed were fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it's gearbox oil it will have a very distinctive hydrocarbon smell. The kind of smell that you might associate with a back street car repair garage. But cleaning it up thoroughly and keeping an eye on it is the best course of action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts