Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
I'm new to the forum, thanks for having me onboard. Just wanted to reach out to see if anyone could help me. I am currently in the process of restoring my late dads 1998 Vectra B 2.5 v6 saloon. Its been in the family since 2004 and as probably alot of you know it's more for sentimental reasons that I want to keep it at it's best. I have got it looked at by a bodyshop with a view to a full bare metal respray. In their opinion to restore the car to it's former glory it would need the following...

New Front Wings
New Bonnet
New Bootlid
New Rear Quarters
New Roofskin (Sunroof) Saloon model
New Front doors

I have managed to source new old stock Bonnet, Bootlid and front wings but I am drawing a blank with the rest. Alot of the dealers I have sourced bits from have just been by chance, as spares for the Vectra B were discontinued some time ago. I have thought of sourcing a donor car and cutting the roof skin and quarters off it but would this really work? Advice from others to date has been that parts like roofskins even when gently removed can bend and distort even under slight pressure so it may not be a job. The car is by no means a scrapper, it has a current MOT and I drive it regularly but if I am going to restore it I wanted to do the best job I could with it. Other considerations are that if I am removing all glass for the respray I will most likely need to source new window seals with chrome inset. Again I haven't had any luck with those parts either.

All help and advice welcome. I figured if anyone knew where to source new old stock it would be you guys.

Regards

Stephen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your post stjon1954. The car means alot to me as myself and dad used it as a course car when organising car rallies for many years. We lost him to Lung Cancer at 61 in 2016. I am restoring the car to use it as the wedding car at my brothers wedding in September. I am getting there slowly but surely with parts so heres hoping it all comes together.

Regards

Stephen

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
It’s a problem as cars get older , my 12 year old Astra H is getting a pain for finding new parts.
There isn’t many Vectra B left now although i did spot a minter GSI in Hinckley the other day parked in someone’s driveway.
I always kinda had a soft spot for those motors as they were genuinely different from other cars.
Loads of vectra b rear quarter panels available on eBay.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
I do think one of our requests will definitely have to be second hand, the roof skin with sunroof saloon, I would think that would very hard to find new, i should think most panel suppliers will have weighed them in by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts