Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm spitting feathers at the moment because of this.

Bought a Meriva B (11 plate) a few years ago (main dealer) and it's had minimal use since (maybe 4K miles/year).

It started having problems where the power steering would fail, most dashboard lights would come on, speedo didn't work, and handbrake doesn't work. But after resting the car, the problems went away. It went to Vauxhall dealer about a year ago and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

The problem is now permanent and is back with the dealer, who have said the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) has failed and needs replacing (cost: £1880 - about half the value of the car currently). Apparently the EBCM communicates with other parts of the car, which is why the speedo etc. don't work.

My issue is this: how can a car of less than 40,000 miles have a significant part like that go wrong AND Vauxhall don't accept responsibility (I've had a chat with Vauxhall centrally, who don't seem to think it's a safety issue, even though when my wife drove the car with kids in, it threw her when she couldn't drive properly and could easily have caused an accident).

I've seen other postings about the steering problem known in Meriva's (which apparently get resolved, but there's still no guarantee those replacements will last a long time), but nothing about EBCM.

Is it really possible to have somehow broken that part via normal day to day driving? You expect certain things to need replacing on a car but not a signficant part within relatively short mileage.

Any insights would be appreciated - as yet, I haven't committed to getting it fixed, as I don't feel confident that the dealer has really got to the bottom of what may be a different problem (but diagnostics imply it's the EBCM apparently).

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
On the Renault scenic it used to have a similar fault.
There was a unit under the car that split to the handbrake cables. This bit rusted up and killed the power unit thru over stressing etc

Was a firm in Wales that fully refurbed them for about £150-200.
Maybe similar firms to play on merivas ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Renault scenic it used to have a similar fault.
There was a unit under the car that split to the handbrake cables. This bit rusted up and killed the power unit thru over stressing etc

Was a firm in Wales that fully refurbed them for about £150-200.
Maybe similar firms to play on merivas ??
Possibly - further call with dealer today I said "if I paid the £1880 to get it fixed, would that solve the problem?" They said they can't guarantee that but they have to fix that first of all before looking at anything else.

So I said "can't you access a central database that tells you what happens after that part is fixed (e.g. some cases found another problem, other cases were ok etc.). "No" was the answer - we have to replace that part first.

And then you end up in a position of paying for a part to be replaced (which may not actually be the issue - it could be misleading diagnostics data) and into paying for more - effectively more than the car is worth.

It's a real eye opener that significant car parts can go wrong within quite low mileage and the manufacturer wash their hands of it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on this for everyone. What was apparently a problem with the EBCM on the Vauxhall Meriva turned out to be something different.

I was so annoyed about the treatment from the dealership (Vauxhall Perrys Canterbury) that I posted a blog dedicated to the subject.

In short, misdiagnosis by Vauxhall, and potentially £1,814 down the drain and the problem not resolved. You can see that blog here, including the eventual solution, and hopefully it will encourage others to look around for other viewpoints when faced with similar problems - Perrys Vauxhall Canterbury - 1,814 reasons not to go there - A1WebStats

·
Premium Member
14,169 Posts
I see what your saying but Vauxhall were correct in there diagnosis, the EBCM was faulty, the EBCM is the ABS module, its just called a EBCM on a Vauxhall.,... dont make charging you £1800 right though,...

·
Super Moderator
26,627 Posts
I see what your saying but Vauxhall were correct in there diagnosis, the EBCM was faulty, the EBCM is the ABS module, its just called a EBCM on a Vauxhall.,... dont make charging you £1800 right though,...
You know yourself Andy , any car can have a part fail out of the blue.
I'm sure during your time working on motors you've encountered such pricey failures on many cars.
When my EDU failed on my Astra G 1.7dti , the local dealer wanted £850 for a new unit plus fitting etc.
So i looked around & found a Vauxhall parts garage in Essex who had 3 brand new EDU on his shelves , he wanted £300 so i paid it & 2 days later it arrived.
Local dealer wasn't impressed by my saving but couldn't deny it wasn't a genuine part.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
If you go to a main dealer, expect to pay main dealer prices.

They will only fit genuine new parts at the full retail price, and will charge around £120 per hour labour, as opposed to a small local garage, who may well use reconditioned parts, and a labour charge of about half or less what a main dealer charges (someone has to pay for those fancy showrooms, coffee and dolly receptionists, and that's the service customers).

In this case, it appears the main dealer diagnosis was correct, just that Vauxhall call the ABS module an EBCM.

I just don't understand anyone who takes a nine year old car to a main dealer, then complains about the prices.

Reactions: Fred Bassett
1 - 7 of 7 Posts