Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at this forum for a while and it has helped with previous problems I've had with Vauxhall's but struggling to find anything similar to what I'm currently experiencing.

Since about Easter, it has been going through a lot of coolant/water. I have to check it every day to make sure it's topped up but it's roughly losing half of the coolant reservoir a week (roughly 300 miles of driving). There are no obvious leaks e.g. no puddles on the drive. The oil is not creamy on either the dipstick or the oil cap so not sure if it's the head gasket (I hope it's not...). Sometimes it stutters when starting - not like when there is an electrical/battery problem or sparks. It's not done this for a few days though. It runs completely fine once it's started and isn't overheating while I'm making sure the coolant is topped up.

It's currently under warranty with Blackstar Warranties but I'm having a nightmare with them getting it diagnosed. I had to take it to a Kwik Fit and the master technician there said there could be a leak into the pistons which is causing the starting problem, but because there are issues with who is paying for the diagnostics he hasn't looked at it at all. Been trying for 2.5 weeks with the warranty company and there are only 2 weeks left on it so I've pretty much given up with them as they seem to be doing everything to not pay for anything - leaving me with a huge Kwik Fit bill.

Does anyone on here have any idea what the problem could be? I'm taking it to a family friend mechanic this afternoon but thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2006 Vectra C 1.8, 2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
298 Posts
Any white smoke/steam from the exhaust? If the gasket has gone between the water galleries and the piston it'll just be evaporating and being blown out the exhaust. Could also explain the difficult starting because water doesn't compress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any white smoke/steam from the exhaust? If the gasket has gone between the water galleries and the piston it'll just be evaporating and being blown out the exhaust. Could also explain the difficult starting because water doesn't compress.
I've not seen anything in my rear view and have been looking out for smoke/steam.

·
15,367 Posts
Could be as simple as a faulty pressure cap on the header tank.

Reactions: BORNXenon

·
15,367 Posts
Also carefully check the plastic outlets on the header tank, they can fracture and lead to a slight weep of fluid.

Reactions: BORNXenon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can hear bubbling for 30 seconds or so after I turn off the ignition after longer drives which I thought was probably part of it all. That could be air in the system? Which is a symptom of the header tank too - I believe?

·
Registered
2006 Vectra C 1.8, 2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
298 Posts
Also carefully check the plastic outlets on the header tank, they can fracture and lead to a slight weep of fluid.
Yep, both of them will do it also.
If you have air in the system, that can also lead to coolant suddenly disappearing.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
Check under the coolant header tank, these have a habit of cracking the base of the header tank, the coolant then slowly drips into the ABS module, i would look at the ABS plug for signs of coolant contamination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts