Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for another vehicle and have placed a post regarding the Vauxhall Insignia with a 1.6 diesel engine and have been offered some very good advice.

My query is, what is the difference between the 1956cc diesel engine as fitted to the Insignia and the 1991cc engine as fitted in the Antara?

Many thanks in advance for all replies to help me brush up on my knowedge of these engines and their individual reputations. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Insignia 2.0 is a Fiat design engine,
the Antara uses a GM engine developed with Hyundi and Kia ?
so completely different
Many thanks for your reply.

I dont know too much about the 1991cc, is it relaible and relatively trouble free? I am thinking of having the 1.7 cdti engine as the engine of choice though ;)

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
16,881 Posts
The fiat designed 2.0cdti engine can be problematic, especially at higher mileages. Issues are well documented, including the sump oil pick up seal and usual dpf related problems that can effect most dpf equipped cars these days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fiat designed 2.0cdti engine can be problematic, especially at higher mileages. Issues are well documented, including the sump oil pick up seal and usual dpf related problems that can effect most dpf equipped cars these days.
Many thanks Boroboy for your reply and the details you enclose.

I am particularly interested and curious to know more about the 1991cc diesel engine and its issues and reliablilty. The 1.7cdti seems to be the engine that a lot of people favour and recommend, however there are a couple of decent looking Antara cars with a 1991cc diesel engine at respectable prices which have taken my fancy and I was wondering whether these might be an option? :unsure: ;)

·
Worn Out Member
8,058 Posts
You have to factor in how many of these engines are in service compared to the Astra/Insignia 2.0 but i can't say i've heard of many issues,maybe worth a look through here
Antara Owners Club

·
Super Moderator
28,055 Posts
Antara are well known for their quick repeat DPF regenerations & poor fuel consumption as a result of many frequent regenerations taking place regularly. Personally i wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole , hastily put into production to compete in that class segment & it shows.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to Honest John the Antara is "based on Chevrolet S3X 7-seat concept. Same thing as Chevrolet Captiva 'Theta' 4x4 drivetrain. Built in South Korea. Italian VM diesel engines."

Have a look at the Good/Bad section for some pointers. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/vauxhall/antara-2007/

They are very good value, could well be worth a punt.
Many thanks Westy1600 for your reply and the link ;) Makes interesting reading.

Antara are well known for their quick repeat DPF regenerations & poor fuel consumption as a result of many frequent regenerations taking place regularly. Personally i wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole , hastily put into production to compete in that class segment & it shows.
Thank you very much Fred Bassett for your comments. Looks like its back to plan A........the 1.7cdti engine............and possibly a Mokka ;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Many thanks Westy1600 for your reply and the link ;) Makes interesting reading.
No worries. I find the Honest John website very useful, especially the good/bad section. If a motor has continual problems, they tend to show up, like VAG DSG, Ford Powershift etc etc etc.

If you are looking for uber reliability above all else, Jap or Korean petrol manual cars are by far and away your best bet. My mechanic mate tells me a Corolla is his worst enemy as they never go wrong!

I drive a Honda Jazz at the moment. Brilliant little cars, but about as exciting as your microwave. Hopeless on journeys over 45 mins at any speed due to the noise caused by lack of any sound proofing. Busy and noisy on A roads for sure. That said, I know it is not going to wrong. Tediously reliable and oh so economical! :LOL: Like you, I'm looking for another car. One with some refinement and sound proofing please. The search goes on.......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Westy1600 for your reply (y)

Your last paraghraph I could paste and copy word for word the exact same sentiments apart from replacing Honda Jazz with Ford Fusion 1.4tdi.

Out of curiosity, whats on you shopping list for a replacement vehicle :unsure:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I've seen several Fusions with heaps of miles on them. Run and run until the rust gets them. Same as the Jazz, but at least you've got some torque! :LOL:

A forum member has a Combo thread and mentioned noico butyl mat. I will be researching this further, because I don't think my Jazz has any sound proofing at all.

Next car? Being a boring old sod, I'll probably buy another Pug 308 1.6 HDi. The 92bhp version only has an easy to reach and DIY 'cleanable' DPF, no fluid or any other gubbins. Good value too, ride and handle so much better that they look. A MK3 Focus 1.6 TDCi is another strong contender. Mrs W wants to spend more money and get something posh, but I'm not one for spending money.

I really like the both the Astra J and the Insignia. Given what I've read though, they would have to be petrol. I have yet to find a petrol of either that is in decent nick with a proper history. Lots of abused examples around. More generaly, I sometimes think that accounts for Vauxhalls reliability record. A lot of owners never bother servicing them judging by the scant history on the cars I have enquired about.

What ever I get next Sierra Chalie, it must have soundproofing, comfort. decent seats and cruise control. So everything the Jazz doesn't have!! :LOL: Bring on the day when it can be returned to 2cnd car pottering about duties. I've done nearly 15k in just under a year. First world moan, but it is hard work over distance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen several Fusions with heaps of miles on them. Run and run until the rust gets them. Same as the Jazz, but at least you've got some torque! :LOL:

A forum member has a Combo thread and mentioned noico butyl mat. I will be researching this further, because I don't think my Jazz has any sound proofing at all.

Next car? Being a boring old sod, I'll probably buy another Pug 308 1.6 HDi. The 92bhp version only has an easy to reach and DIY 'cleanable' DPF, no fluid or any other gubbins. Good value too, ride and handle so much better that they look. A MK3 Focus 1.6 TDCi is another strong contender. Mrs W wants to spend more money and get something posh, but I'm not one for spending money.

I really like the both the Astra J and the Insignia. Given what I've read though, they would have to be petrol. I have yet to find a petrol of either that is in decent nick with a proper history. Lots of abused examples around. More generaly, I sometimes think that accounts for Vauxhalls reliability record. A lot of owners never bother servicing them judging by the scant history on the cars I have enquired about.

What ever I get next Sierra Chalie, it must have soundproofing, comfort. decent seats and cruise control. So everything the Jazz doesn't have!! :LOL: Bring on the day when it can be returned to 2cnd car pottering about duties. I've done nearly 15k in just under a year. First world moan, but it is hard work over distance.
Many thanks Westy1600 for your reply, the details and combo link make interesting reading.

Interesting to learn that you quite like the Astra J ( I have now discounted the Insignia myself so will not include that in this part of the thread ) whilst stating it would need to be petrol. After all the debate I have had over the last few days with contributions from good people like yourself, I was fascinated to note that you didn't mention the 1.7cdti as a possibility.

Without so much as a cursory look on the internet to carry out some further research I had also briefly considered a Pug but there was something at the back of my mind telling me they suffered from Ad Blue issues. I quite liked the look of the Peugeot 3008, in fact a neighbour further down the road from me has one on a 12 plate and I am reasonably sure it is fitted with the Ford 1560cc diesel engine. Perhaps I ought to make the effort of having a chat with him to find out exactly what they are like and what faults they suffer from although I do know his particular car has a semi automatic gearbox with no clutch. Being slightly set in my ways ( similar to my stubborn way of thinking about only having a diesel engine ) I don't know whether I could get used to driving a car without a clutch.

Funny what you see and what you notice when a topic is raised. During the course of searching for cars over the last few days I have seen quite a lot of Vauxhall Insignia diesel cars for sale, coming upto or around the 100,000 miles mark, quite a few with service history allegedly but most of them probably in the territory where cam belt/water pump, clutches or oil pump seals requiring replacement. The price of the cars all very reasonable until you factor in the price of getting any of the above maintenance work carried out.

I need to test drive one to find out but the 1.7 cdti Mokka is the stand out contender for me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Many thanks Westy1600 for your reply, the details and combo link make interesting reading.

Interesting to learn that you quite like the Astra J ( I have now discounted the Insignia myself so will not include that in this part of the thread ) whilst stating it would need to be petrol. After all the debate I have had over the last few days with contributions from good people like yourself, I was fascinated to note that you didn't mention the 1.7cdti as a possibility.

Without so much as a cursory look on the internet to carry out some further research I had also briefly considered a Pug but there was something at the back of my mind telling me they suffered from Ad Blue issues. I quite liked the look of the Peugeot 3008, in fact a neighbour further down the road from me has one on a 12 plate and I am reasonably sure it is fitted with the Ford 1560cc diesel engine. Perhaps I ought to make the effort of having a chat with him to find out exactly what they are like and what faults they suffer from although I do know his particular car has a semi automatic gearbox with no clutch. Being slightly set in my ways ( similar to my stubborn way of thinking about only having a diesel engine ) I don't know whether I could get used to driving a car without a clutch.

Funny what you see and what you notice when a topic is raised. During the course of searching for cars over the last few days I have seen quite a lot of Vauxhall Insignia diesel cars for sale, coming upto or around the 100,000 miles mark, quite a few with service history allegedly but most of them probably in the territory where cam belt/water pump, clutches or oil pump seals requiring replacement. The price of the cars all very reasonable until you factor in the price of getting any of the above maintenance work carried out.

I need to test drive one to find out but the 1.7 cdti Mokka is the stand out contender for me at the moment.
The only Pug for me, is the 92BHP version. No pat fluid or adblue, and they have a single mass flywheel. The 1.6 115 or 120, have the pat fluid and DMF. Later Adblue cars can be easily identified by having 'blue HDi' badges. A new urea tank coded to your car is close the £1k, so I wouldn't even consider it. Maybe if ECU testing bring out a reman for £300 it would be ok. However, the 92BHP has a removable DPF and diy cleanable. I'm not saying the PSA 1.6 is the best out there, but there are millions of them about, and I would have confidence in buying one. Enough grunt for what I need day to day.

Astra J, I think is a great looking car. Each to their own, but it gets a tick from me. It would need to be the petrol though. We rented a 2.0 CDTi 160 bhp for a few days a couple of years ago. It was a very brawny lump, and would be a great motor, but the reliability record is a concern. Same with the Insignia. They are a bargain on the used market. I wonder if I could nurse one along with regular oil changes and drive it gently if it would last and not bite me with a big bill. Probably be fine, but.....:unsure:

Bring back the MK2 or Mk3 Cavalier I say. Cars were better years ago. :)(y)

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
16,881 Posts
Looking for another vehicle and have placed a post regarding the Vauxhall Insignia with a 1.6 diesel engine and have been offered some very good advice.

My query is, what is the difference between the 1956cc diesel engine as fitted to the Insignia and the 1991cc engine as fitted in the Antara?

Many thanks in advance for all replies to help me brush up on my knowedge of these engines and their individual reputations. ;)
From little I know about the Antara, seems to have plenty of on going faults, not that great and fuel (heavy car), as previously stated likes regular regens too.
Depending on the size of car, I'd also consider buying petrol too. The 1.7d engine, even the later model seems to be the most reliable of the bunch. Although diesels now, along with petrol engines are tuned to their emissions limits. You also have the dpf and adblue systems to add to their complications.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only Pug for me, is the 92BHP version. No pat fluid or adblue, and they have a single mass flywheel. The 1.6 115 or 120, have the pat fluid and DMF. Later Adblue cars can be easily identified by having 'blue HDi' badges. A new urea tank coded to your car is close the £1k, so I wouldn't even consider it. Maybe if ECU testing bring out a reman for £300 it would be ok. However, the 92BHP has a removable DPF and diy cleanable. I'm not saying the PSA 1.6 is the best out there, but there are millions of them about, and I would have confidence in buying one. Enough grunt for what I need day to day.

Astra J, I think is a great looking car. Each to their own, but it gets a tick from me. It would need to be the petrol though. We rented a 2.0 CDTi 160 bhp for a few days a couple of years ago. It was a very brawny lump, and would be a great motor, but the reliability record is a concern. Same with the Insignia. They are a bargain on the used market. I wonder if I could nurse one along with regular oil changes and drive it gently if it would last and not bite me with a big bill. Probably be fine, but.....:unsure:

Bring back the MK2 or Mk3 Cavalier I say. Cars were better years ago. :)(y)
Thought provoking reading there Westy1600 with some great details ;)

Another school day for me with your information about the blue HDi badges (y)

From little I know about the Antara, seems to have plenty of on going faults, not that great and fuel (heavy car), as previously stated likes regular regens too.
Depending on the size of car, I'd also consider buying petrol too. The 1.7d engine, even the later model seems to be the most reliable of the bunch. Although diesels now, along with petrol engines are tuned to their emissions limits. You also have the dpf and adblue systems to add to their complications.
Thanks very much Boroboy for your reply ;). The Antara I saw for sale has now been sold, so that is not a consideration now.

Still undecided about converting to petrol though :cautious:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Any Peugeot with adblue up to 2019 are chronic, repeatedly need reprogrammed, my work had 120 of the older model parters, and were in the garage for a minimum of a week at a time, after the vans had been in 6 times or more, they were off hired for newer models, which so far, haven’t had any of the issues, but aren’t as quick, on the plus side tho, their a lot quieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
May have done myself a favour this afternoon, I have spoken with my neighbour down the road who has a 2012 Peugeot 3008 fitted with a 1560cc diesel engine (apparently it is listed as a 1600 Active E - HDi with 115hp) and asked whether his vehicle used adblue.

He responded and mentioned he didn`t use adblue in his vehicle ( it has no reservoir ), it has no dual mass flywheel as the car is semi automatic. It is £30 a year road tax.

Anyway it appears he is thinking about selling it.......................I wonder whether this might be a contender...................photo of badge from rear of vehicle attached to this post for reference. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
May have done myself a favour this afternoon, I have spoken with my neighbour down the road who has a 2012 Peugeot 3008 fitted with a 1560cc diesel engine (apparently it is listed as a 1600 Active E - HDi with 115hp) and asked whether his vehicle used adblue.

He responded and mentioned he didn`t use adblue in his vehicle ( it has no reservoir ), it has no dual mass flywheel as the car is semi automatic. It is £30 a year road tax.

Anyway it appears he is thinking about selling it.......................I wonder whether this might be a contender...................photo of badge from rear of vehicle attached to this post for reference. ;)
I'm a long way of being an expert, just have a weird thing for 308's. Must be my age! :LOL: PSA over 92 BHP have a fluid pouch, pat fluid, usualy near the rear axle N/S iirc. Not too much grieft, but the car will need to know its been filled by Pug Planet. I see it as just extra expense and complication. But, compared to adblue, it's not been known to cause the grief.

I've read a few horrors on the EGC systems. Automated manual, not proper auto boxes. The control panels are fragile. Have a google and see what you reckon.

Did you ever see Top Gear and their take on Peugeot and their owners? Well worth a watch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts