Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My car horn is not working... I checked the fuse box on the front. I believe position 4 is for the horn.

I pulled the fuse out and it looked OK... I mean, not sure what one of these types of fuses look like when they are burnt out, but it did not look like it had any damage.

I then took the fuse out of position 5 (for transmission I believe) and placed it into position 4. I know the transmission works so the fuse in position 5 should be OK.

The horn still fails and I can hear a clicking sound each time I press the horn.

So I guess this means it is not a fuse issue?

I then had a look under the car....

Is the horn the thing on the top right 23 seconds into this video?

Tips for next things to try?

Replace the horn?

Is there another fuse under the steering wheel? I guess everything from the steering wheel where the horn button to the fuse box is OK if I heard the clicking?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Have you gone through any deep puddles or water recently to flood the sounder out?

If your hearing clicking it could be the relay, have you checked this? your video is in the right place on the D i think its just under the washer jet bottle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah - just saw your new post. Will check the actual relay itself as well then. Is it a matter of just pulling it out then?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
You will need the horn to pass the MOT, so best to get on top of it sooner rather than later, As above if its clicking, changing that relay i have drawn around should hopefully sort it

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there, there are several things you can do, like change the relays around as the man says, check for power both sides of the horn fuse with ignition on, the horn its itself could be faulty, you could take it off and stick it across a battery see if it works, and one nasty idea at least with my C it has an air bag on and horn buttons on the steering wheel, and if the wires in the "clock spring " break the horn wont work...but do the easy things first, the best place to start iyour investigation is at the relay.....30 live, 87 to horn, probably 85 live and 86 to horn button to ground...that's from memory i haven't looked in the book lol...you could try banging the horn see if it will work...if its works with an alarm does it work ok with that....if you connect 30 and 87 together see if it blows, that will have halved the problem...Fred.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok - I tried switching the relays around and the horn is still not working. With the replaced relay the behaviour is the same. It clicks once when I push down on the horn and then once more when I let go. I guess this is just the relay opening and closing the circuit.

I also took the relay out and pressed the horn again and it was silent (so this proved that I was working on the right relay).

Looks like I will need to get under the car to get to the horn. Just watched a few videos on Axle stands/jacks/wheel chocks...
looks a little hairy, but I guess it should be OK so long as I am careful! A visit to Halfords tomorrow then...

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Well it sounds like the relay is clicking ok, so the primary circuit seems ok...that doesn't of course mean the relay is any good....but if you have changed them over it prob is ok....sounds like the problem is on the secondary side from the fuse to the horn....have you tried bridging 30 ad 87 on relay holder to see if the horn blows?...if not make sure you have power to the link wire you are using from 30 to 87...that's the easiest thing to do before you start taking bumpers off and things lol...Fred.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I bought this jack kit a few months ago to service the mrs corsa d special edition, done the job nicely

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/car-lift-recovery-tools/jacking-and-lifting/trolley-jacks/?529771121&0&t5_247

Try what fred suggested first though
Yes i bought a Jack like that Louie about 2 years ago off ebay, about same price, same make...never used it yet...but i dont do much mechanical work these days, if i want to do anything on my car i take it in the garage where i used to work and use a Bradbury lift, 2 or 4 poster....used those for years...there made in Braintree about 7 miles from me, or at least they were unless they have moved, they have a 3 tonne Canadian lift there as wellllfrom Fred.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I found the problem!

Went to Halfords and bought stands/ jacks/wheel chocks.

Lifted up one side and took a better look.

However, the lifting area seemed to crumple :p I guess i needed a piece of wood the right shape...

https://imgur.com/gallery/nxScl

Not pretty...

Anyhow, I stuck my phone up closer to see how the horn was connected as I could not see from underneath...

And... it was not plugged in! You can see the cable hanging loose in the video.

After a bit of fiddling around I managed to get it plugged back in and it worked!

Just as well since I did not have the right tool to remove the horn from the bracket.

Will return the new horn and inline fuse thing I bought.

Thank you guys for all the help!

My first car problem resolved! (And my first bit of accidental damage!)

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Whoops, I get funny about using a block of wood if it splits your in for some trouble, I try get it on the frame of the car or something solid to bump it up, something rubber is better, someone put pics on here other day of a modified hockey puck, good work on finding the problem odd it was unplugged though!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoops, I get funny about using a block of wood if it splits your in for some trouble, I try get it on the frame of the car or something solid to bump it up, something rubber is better, someone put pics on here other day of a modified hockey puck, good work on finding the problem odd it was unplugged though!
Ok will need to get one of those puck things next time I need to jack up the car again. I just searched on YouTube and could see a few examples. Good idea.

On a separate note, I must admit that I was a little unsure about where to put the stands after lifting up the car. I was hoping to see a big chunky axle like on a toy car, but was faced with what looked like flat sheets of metal. Will probably do a bit more research into this as well next time.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Tell you what, Bricks are even worse than wood, they break up and the car comes down, i have never tried it but i heard that....axle stands, best place is under the chassis if you can or axle, subframe anything solid, within reason, i would avoid the sills if you can, they often collapse, then the car looks a bit funny lol....Fred.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts