Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2003 Combo 1.7di that's having some technical issues. It always ran without problems and I changed all the fluids and filters a couple of months ago. Then recently the service light started illuminating when the engine got to temperature after a while, so I planned on putting it in to the garage but then when I was driving along it was running as normal and the engine just cut out completely. The electrics stayed on but the engine just stopped firing. The van now starts intermittently, sometimes it fires up first time with no issues, then if I turn it off and try again the service light and the EPS lights are illuminated and it won't fire. The engine cranks okay and turns over, just no spark. I've heard this can be a problem with the ECU but I'm not sure so posting for advice as it's currently sat on my drive not being used. I know I could just call a garage but I thought I'd see if it's a big problem that wouldn't be worth fixing before trying

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

·
Worn Out Member
5,311 Posts
Hi all,

sometimes it fires up first time with no issues, then if I turn it off and try again the service light and the EPS lights are illuminated and it won't fire.
The engine cranks okay and turns over, just no spark.
It needs a code read,no point in guessing,
btw it's a diesel so there is no spark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check if the fuel filter is blocked. Sometimes you get water in the fuel which is what this sounds like....

It has been a very wet winter and some fuel suppliers are not careful.

To check usually means draining the the tank and replace the fuel filters, also check that you have not cooked the motor and that there is no oil in the water or water in the tappet cover.

Cars have had electronics for over thirty years, just start with the basics.first, check the earths, battery charge and if the motor turns by manual means and if the glow plugs are all getting power if it's a diesel as in this case. Remember direct injection is dangerous so don't be careless and never aim at or inspect in line with your face as all diesels are under high pressure

• Start with the basics and work from there
  • Battery
  • Earth
  • Fuel

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi mate did you manage to pull any fault codes ?

Also the ECU is common with these so.may be worth looking into that's aswell but would be best to get codes first before spending money

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mate did you manage to pull any fault codes ?

Also the ECU is common with these so.may be worth looking into that's aswell but would be best to get codes first before spending money
I tried to get some codes but my code reader won’t pick up the vehicle so isn’t showing anything

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure where the ECU is located but check see if therr is any signs of water damage or corsion on the ECU plug and the ECU itself

1 - 6 of 6 Posts