Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
I am hoping someone may be able to help with a starting problem i have with my Astra. My vehicle is a 2006 Astra 16oo SXI, I parked it on my drive, having driven home with no problem. The next morning i came to start it but there was nothing when i turned the key in the ignition. All the dash was lit up, the radio worked but there was no buzzing sound, the sound of the fuel pump kicking in, when you turned the key. I managed to get the car bump started. When i drove the car the power steering was not working, the speedo and rev counter did not work, the battery light stayed on. I managed to complete my journey to work but when i turned the car off there was nothing again. I have taken it to a garage and they do not have any idea what the cause of the problem is. They tell me they have had a auto electrician look over the vehicle but cannot identify the fault, they seem to think that something is stopping the fuel pump working. I am just enquiring if anyone has any idea what the issue could be. The car is only worth a few hundred pounds so don't want to keep taking it to different garages and adding more expense. Many Thanks for reading. Any ideas would assist

·
Registered
167 Posts
Check battery voltage and voltage when car is running to see if alternator is working, also all fuses

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check battery voltage and voltage when car is running to see if alternator is working, also all fuses
Many Thanks for the suggestion. (y)I am assured by the garage it is at that this has been done. It was just strange that the speedo's as well as the power steering were not functioning when i had it running.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
If you were able to bump start the car, then the fuel pump must be working!
The first thing I would do is to clean the UEC (the big fuse box under the bonnet). These are prone to water ingress, causing multiple electrical problems. It can be a DIY fix, for the minor expense of some electrical contact cleaner.
There are a number of you tube videos on this subject, and here is a link to a thread on this forum on this subject:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were able to bump start the car, then the fuel pump must be working!
The first thing I would do is to clean the UEC (the big fuse box under the bonnet). These are prone to water ingress, causing multiple electrical problems. It can be a DIY fix, for the minor expense of some electrical contact cleaner.
There are a number of you tube videos on this subject, and here is a link to a thread on this forum on this subject:
Many Thanks Alan, I will give that a go. I really hope it is something as simple as that.(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts