Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fella VOC members.

I have a 2012 Astra estate which unfortunately has interior lights only at the front. In cold (alright, not so cold... ) & dark December evenings, we often struggle to buckle up our daughter due to lack of light. The lights in front don't provide enough visibility at the back, especially behind the seats.

Online (ebay, halfords), I can see several custom led interior lights available. I wish to find out if any of you have fitted an interior light for the backseats (on the roof) by yourself. If you have been successful, could you share some inputs on whether this is something that could be diy'd and if yes, any supporting information on what to buy and how and where to wire it etc.. ? or would you rather recommend getting it done in a garage.

I have so far done couple of mini projects with my astra - fitting OEM bluetooth set and hard wiring my dash cam to the fuse board directly and hoping, I could do well with this interior light fitting and save some money.

Appreciate your help & wish you a very happy new year.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
The wiring should not he hard. Itd taking the roof lining off carefully that important.
Also, you have to think hpw you will keep a light up there. Cutting away at the roof lining is one thing.
You actually may need to find like a reinforced cross panel in the roof to mount on. Welding a snall bracket will only bmheat the pain on the outside.
Its a small modifcstion if you have the patience.
I would try to look for a festoon light off any car from a breakers, angle grind the bracket off the other model and then retrofit to your own car.
If ypur carris worth a few quid. May be worth having a coachworks or body shop if you have the bits. Its a easy job for a professional. 40mins work if you are handy. You can just extend to the front connection and have the bulbs running off the doors opening and closing pr use the manual button override still.

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Never fitted one myself but they actually do a rear reading light for the estate. You might be lucky and have the wiring already ready to go. Anyway part number is 22774329 (Only 1 colour sadly which is Titanium (grey) and is 20 quid from megavaux.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Never fitted one myself but they actually do a rear reading light for the estate. You might be lucky and have the wiring already ready to go. Anyway part number is 22774329 (Only 1 colour sadly which is Titanium (grey) and is 20 quid from megavaux.
Good point, there could already be the mounting point for it too then.

I like how you know the part number. Very good.

Why not buy used for just £15.00 delivered?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09-14-VAU...862289?hash=item3d0588e391:g:qXIAAOSwT5tWF8en

·
1,647 Posts
I put one in my Astra h club , the hard bit was pushing the wire from back to front I used a roll of thick wire first then taped the wire I used to connect it with and pulled it through , I got a switch from eBay that had a holder to connect to the roof lining and a connector that had a bit of wire to connect with , cot the hole with a sharp knife fit the holder , push the strong wire behind the roof line and out the front light I took down then just connected the new wire to old loom job done if I find the fitting I'll post a thread all the best

·
1,647 Posts
GENUINE ASTRA VXR REAR COURTESY LIGHT

CAN BE RETRO FITTED TO MOST VEHICLES (NOT JUST VAUXHALLS)

IT WAS AN UPGRADE ON THE FOLLOWING MODELS:
ASTRA G
VECTRA C
SIGNUM
ZAFIRA
MERIVA

PART NUMBER: 09 153 194

CONTAINS 2 BULBS AND A SWITCH FOR EACH SIDE, CAN BE SWITCHED ON AND OFF FROM THE DOORS ALSO. COMES WITH PLUG AND ABOUT 2 INCHES OF RIBBON WIRING TO SOLDER TO.

IN A GREAT CONDITION WITH NO DAMAGE
USUALLY POSTED WITHIN 24 HOURS
PLEASE ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS

I TRY TO BE AS COMPETITIVE AS POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE DO UNDERSTAND THAT THE SALE PRICE TAKES INTO ACCOUNT POSTAGE AND PACKAGING COSTS ALONG WITH ASSOCIATED EBAY FEES.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO VIEW MY LISTING.

Car-breakers-uk on eBay if you search Vauxhall roof light you should find this add only get this one as it has the holder to fix to roof first and wire ribbon to connect the wire to , others that look like this may not have the backing plate you need or the connector to follow on with , having done this myself I found this the best light as you can turn it off or on and gives good all round light just don't set it too far back all the best

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GENUINE ASTRA VXR REAR COURTESY LIGHT

CAN BE RETRO FITTED TO MOST VEHICLES (NOT JUST VAUXHALLS)

IT WAS AN UPGRADE ON THE FOLLOWING MODELS:
ASTRA G
VECTRA C
SIGNUM
ZAFIRA
MERIVA

PART NUMBER: 09 153 194

CONTAINS 2 BULBS AND A SWITCH FOR EACH SIDE, CAN BE SWITCHED ON AND OFF FROM THE DOORS ALSO. COMES WITH PLUG AND ABOUT 2 INCHES OF RIBBON WIRING TO SOLDER TO.

IN A GREAT CONDITION WITH NO DAMAGE
USUALLY POSTED WITHIN 24 HOURS
PLEASE ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS

I TRY TO BE AS COMPETITIVE AS POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE DO UNDERSTAND THAT THE SALE PRICE TAKES INTO ACCOUNT POSTAGE AND PACKAGING COSTS ALONG WITH ASSOCIATED EBAY FEES.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO VIEW MY LISTING.

Car-breakers-uk on eBay if you search Vauxhall roof light you should find this add only get this one as it has the holder to fix to roof first and wire ribbon to connect the wire to , others that look like this may not have the backing plate you need or the connector to follow on with , having done this myself I found this the best light as you can turn it off or on and gives good all round light just don't set it too far back all the best
Thanks a lot my friend. Extremely useful and detailed.

I couldn't find this item listing. Could you help me with the item id please. So just to confirm my understanding, I need to buy 2 things, a- Light & switch unit with roof holder, b- a connector with wires. Can you give me some pointers for the connector with wires please. I assume this is the connector which would fit near the light unit ?

Also, when you say connecting the new wires to the old loom - did you mean connecting the new wires to the wires coming to the front seat light unit ? Is there a spare connector near the front seat light unit or we have to strip and join the wires with battery disconnected ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for prompt and detailed responses. I am feeling more and more confident that I could do this myself, courtesy friendly and detailed answers from you all.

·
1,647 Posts
That's the item if you copy and paste that's all you need from it you then need a wire I think 3 or 4 core that you solder to the tape you see coming crom the back , the wire goes to the front light fitting Haynes manual tells you how to get that out , then it's trilal and error to see what wire to connect to what to get it working sorry I only have half the help you need but maybe some one will have the rest ,
This fitting has the holder that you can remove and use as the template to cut a hole in the roof and it fits first then you pull the wires through and do the connecting , when I did mine I got this unit and a card board box and tried it first with cutting the hole, you only get one chance with you roof small holes can be made bigger please take your time , no need to remove any edge lining just cut the hole fit the holder as its metal it's good to have as you need to push across the roof to the front I used a conduit cover plastic and taped the wire to the end also opened the boot to get the length 2.4 mtr will do all the best I'll keep an eye on this thread if you need any more help but I think that this should get you started ,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.