Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi am having a few problems with my vauxhall astra h 1.6 sxi
My car was working fine and I swapped my insurance to a company that requires a black box
The engineer come to fix the box
He started the car before he began
He then installed it
After that the car would not start
I had a auto electrician out to get a diagnostic done
And he couldn't communicate with ecu
So I bought a second hand reset ecu
I also had to get the pin from main dealers
The garage Try to reprogram but was unable to
Iv unloaded a photo of the fault codes can
Anyone help
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
So after he fitted the box and it wouldn't start what did he do, just walk away,...

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
I'd get on to your insurance and tell them their engineer has killed your car and you want compensation for out of pocket expenses.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
I seem to remember another thread on here with the same problem, but I can't remember the outcome.
You shouldn't have got anyone else to touch the car, and got straight on to the insurance company.
If their "engineer" has broken your car, it's down to them to sort it out.
Threaten to take them to the county court if they won't take responsibility, and do it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Assuming that 1-2 weeks has gone since the install, and if you haven't told them about their fubar, my bet is that after you've had a play with electronics by various people the insurance scammers will wash out their hands.

Starting point would be bringing the car to its original state without that box including every single wire touched by that cowboy. Who knows, magic can happen and solve your issue...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So after he fitted the box and it wouldn't start what did he do, just walk away,...
Well he tried to tell me it was a ignition barrel fault but I was getting power and all lights was coming on as they would
Then he tried telling me it was the starter motor so with me knowing a little bit at cars I bypassed the starter motor to check if it worked and all was fine starter motor powered fine
Then he told me it was the ecu and told me the best thing fo me to do is buy a full ecu kit
He tried disconnecting the box he fitted to see if it started but still no luck
I complained to the company and they sent out a manager to inspect it and they said the engineers work looks fine it must be a problem with the car
I checked all fuses and Relays and was all fine
So I had a auto electrician out to see it
He couldn't communicate with ecu
And he recommended a full ecu kit
So I bought a reset ecu(not a kit)
Took it to garage and still no luck
I spend £150 at the garage £50 recovery cost and £50 for ecu
So I stuck with what to do
I can't find a full kit that has the same part number as mine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd get on to your insurance and tell them their engineer has killed your car and you want compensation for out of pocket expenses.
I already have and they are not willing to take the blame
They want me to fix it and prove they are at fault and they said they will reimburse me the cost of it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick question
To anyone who knows
I'm looking for a full ecu kit but I can't seem to find one that matches
I just want to know
Can I buy a ecu kit
If the simtec code and the Hw code is the same as mine but the long number on the ecu is different
Would that be possible

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why you want to spend a lot of money not knowing what the problem is? Might be (or not) that bringing your car to its original state will solve your problem. In the worst scenario it will give you correct starting point. You will have problems all the time if the electrical installation and canbus is fubar.

I would call the insurance scammers to cancel the policy - if they cancel then it stays on your record, but not if you do it as this is your right. Imagine what their service is if the worst happens?
I would tell them to remove their brick gizmo by different installer and that I want every single bit of electrical installation to its original state.
I would then call their complains department describing this situation, and I would mention Consumer Rights Act (any tradesperson who takes on any task that you employ them for is required to carry out the job with ‘reasonable care and skill’), and an ombudsman also telling them I am prepared to take this matter to newspapers.
I would write an official complain if they refuse to cooperate - by doing so specific laws kicks in, with the right to go to the ombudsman. Insurance companies are allergic to ombudsman as by law they have to keep number of this type of cases low.

I wouldn't spend a single penny.
If I had to, I would call ecu repair companies and see what say, might be less hassle.

You have right to desregard everything above ;)

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
I would try the insurance ombudsman first, if no joy there issue proceedings against the insurance company in county court for the full value of the car plus all your out of pocket expenses.
The car was running correctly before their "engineer" touched it, so I think you have an excellent chance of recovering your losses.

Reactions: ConnorM395

·
Registered
68 Posts
I doubt you can use an ombudsman before an official complain, there is a specific procedure to follow, and an ombudsman will refuse until you fulfill all requirements.
But what I did in the past is first I called the ombudsman to obtain info what my options are (it was an absolutely unbelievable bonkers case).

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Try unplugging the Power steering pump, if the steering pump on this car has Canbus it may be that whats pulling the Canbus system down, if that dont work try unplugging the ABS pump, in both instances try to get comms with the engine ecu after disconnecting.
If that dont work test the Canbus system via the obd port with a MM and see what resistance you get.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
The CIM module is the Can gateway on this vehicle hence why you get the 'no comms' faults,... The CIM is whats telling you it has no comms with the relevant modules,.... the other giveaway is the fault codes for the HS Can and LS Can.
Test the Canbus first and then try unplugging the modules in my post above,.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try unplugging the Power steering pump, if the steering pump on this car has Canbus it may be that whats pulling the Canbus system down, if that dont work try unplugging the ABS pump, in both instances try to get comms with the engine ecu after disconnecting.
If that dont work test the Canbus system via the obd port with a MM and see what resistance you get.
The garage has already done all that and still no joy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt you can use an ombudsman before an official complain, there is a specific procedure to follow, and an ombudsman will refuse until you fulfill all requirements.
But what I did in the past is first I called the ombudsman to obtain info what my options are (it was an absolutely unbelievable bonkers case).
Ive already put a complaint in to the installation company and the insurance company as they was the ones who instructed the engineers to fit the box
The funny thing is while he was installing the box he didn't know I was stood in the garden
Then once the car didn't start he then asked me if the car had any problems with starting
Even though I was there when he started the car before the installation of the box
So I said to him you have just started the car so obviously there is no problem with the car starting and he responded with ohh yes the car started first time
But then he just started throwing out problems that he thought it could be saying they are all common fault with this model of car

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I attached a photo
But this is not the original state of the installation it's been disconnected and then connected again
But all it is is 3 wires
A black from the box to a brown on car
A red from box to red on car
And a white from box to a black

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes the garage checked with it when it was connected and disconnected it was giving the same readings

1 - 20 of 60 Posts