Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
28,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as the weather had picked up I decided that I needed to change the oil/filter. I've done many oil changes in my time but I have never come across a sump bolt that was such a ball ache to remove. The last time it had an oil change I'm sure they tightened up the bolt with an air gun as the correct sized socket just rounded off the nut :cry: After many hours fighting with it yesterday I decided to knock it on the head and try today as it started to get dark. Today I attacked it with an angle grinder and yet it still wouldn't budge until I cut a notch in it and hammered away for at least an hour. Anyway after much swearing the bugger came loose and this is what the bolt looked like after it had been removed:

AstraHSumpBolt.jpg

I also noticed something else quite troubling whilst underneath the car which explained why I had a tinny tapping noise when it was idling:

AstraHGearboxBracket.jpg

As you can see the gearbox bracket bolt had completely come loose and the only thing stopping it from falling out was the flexy joint on the exhaust :eh The bolt above it was also loose, which meant that the gearbox was only supported by one loose bolt :shake

I'm glad its all over for another few thousand miles, and now it seems to be more stable on the road now I've tightened up the gearbox bracket :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Is it an alloy sump? You're lucky the threads didn't knacker up!

Lucky you spotted that loose bolt though. When I looked under my mum Astra H a few weeks ago, I spotted it was leaking engine oil from the bell housing! (only on 40k miles!)

·
28,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it an alloy sump? You're lucky the threads didn't knacker up!

Lucky you spotted that loose bolt though. When I looked under my mum Astra H a few weeks ago, I spotted it was leaking engine oil from the bell housing! (only on 40k miles!)
Its funny you should say that as I noticed some oil around the left hand side of the intercooler where the pipe goes in :think

Did you use a six sided socket??? best one for a tight soft bolt.
and also bit late but how about trying to do it up some more then undo it
I can't remember mate but it was a very tight fit and I would have had no chance of tightening up even slightly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Patience is the key when it comes to tight bolts. best thing to use is to use a penetrater spray every 24h over a period of a week or so. If a hex, use a 6 sided socket instead of a 12 for a better grip. try on a daily basis to undo it. This gives the spray a chance to work its way in. as mentioned above sometimes it works much better to first tighten the screw than trying to loosen it, to break the rust/bonded to the bolt-end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.