Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Unless it's actually dripping, I wouldn't be too worried about a bit of seepage.
You are never going to find an oil tight diesel when it's got some miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would agree with AlanGH. I know for a UK MOT, an oil leak has to drip a certain amount in a certain time limit. Put a piece of carboard under your car and see what happends. If no leak detected, all OK and the MOT will be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
I would agree with AlanGH. I know for a UK MOT, an oil leak has to drip a certain amount in a certain time limit. Put a piece of carboard under your car and see what happends. If no leak detected, all OK and the MOT will be fine.
A leak exceeding 75mm in 5 minutes, (with the engine running) is a fail at MOT time. That is a bad leak!
From the testers manual:
8.4.1. Fluid leaks
You must check for fluid leaks on all vehicles other than Class 3. You should do this with the engine idling.
A leak of fluids such as engine coolant, screen wash and fluid required for Selective Catalyst Reduction are not reasons for failure.
You should fail a vehicle if a fluid leak creates a pool on the floor within 5 minutes that’s more than 75mm in diameter or if there are many leaks which collectively leak fluid at the same rate.
You can refuse to carry out the test if there’s an excessive fluid leak. For details see item 4 in the Introduction of this inspection manual.
DefectCategory
(a) Fluid:

(i) leaking excessively and likely to harm the environment or to pose a safety risk to other road users

(ii) leaking continuously and likely to pose a serious risk to road safety

Major

Dangerous

Reactions: zhivko1019

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there guys.
Thank you all for the prompt replies.

It’s not really leaking, its rather only somehow forming from somewhere. However, I would
really want it tight and maintain it tip top all the time.

So what should I do? Bring it for a clean up and being it back in some miles time to identify where the leak is from? Also how much would such a job cost, just so I know roughly if they (garage) are trying to rip me off.

With thanks,
Petrov

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
As I said earlier, it's a diesel, you will always get some seepage, I've never seen one yet that is totally oil tight when it's got a few miles on it. If it's not dripping, just enjoy driving it!

Reactions: zhivko1019

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it !! :)(y) Not sure how many miles your motor has done, or if its using any oil. However if its done a fair few miles and uses no oil as such, put it down to character.

AlanGH has kindly linked the MOT details, so you have a guide to work from if it warrants further attention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again guys.

It’s on 74000 miles. I would really want it not to leak at all to be fair. I want to maintain the vehicle and make it last for some years.

Wonder how durable are those motors What’s the average milage life span they get?

·
15,401 Posts
They are all but bullet proof if looked after.

Think @Fred Bassett got his up to well over 250,000 miles when using it as a taxi.

Mine's just run in at 120,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
27,938 Posts
These engines are pretty bulletproof if you look after them , i wouldn’t worry too much about the oil leak. Just check your fluid levels every week & have a good feel of your coolant hoses , they go soft from chemical reactions with age. Mine still ran sweet with the high miles she had recorded.

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Wonder how durable are those motors What’s the average milage life span they get?
As Fred says above, if maintained well (regular oil changes, with regular oil & water level checks) they go for a long time.
The newer ones are not as reliable as the ones in the old Astra H (as the power output has been increased, the reliability has got less).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Difficult to tell from the photos but one looks like clutch slave connection leaking or being leaked on.(if it's that leaking can just be the oring inside, and you will see brake fluid drop over time, it has a separate chamber within the reservoir for the clutch so it won't affect your brakes)

Other looks like an intercooler hose with a split in it but you should be able to hear that if you give it a rev.

Oil spreads everywhere and can be misleading at times as to the actual source, so best as you say to clean it all off and reassess in 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It turned out the seepage is on the intercooler / turbo pipe work.

I am going to book it for investigation. However do you guys have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
That is a common place for oil to seep out. Just check all the clips are tight, and leave it alone.
At the mileage your car has done, there will be some oil fumes coming from the engine breather into the turbo intake. That will almost certainly be the cause of the seepage, and you will spend a fortune trying to fix it (almost certainly without success).

·
3,079 Posts
hi, our J 1.7 has the same maybe not as bad as yours but second picture looks identical, could never get it to go away... i clean, check ffittings and clips keep an eye for few weeks every day all good... 2 months later looks the sameo_O:rolleyes:... is like that for over 3 years now and made over 90k in 3 years and is not getting any better or worse... we decided to let it be... does not reflect on the dipstick level... but we change the oil every 9000k...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts