Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Right, just wanted to get some advice from you helpful people about a couple of bits on my car that have gone wrong.

1. The power to my cigarette lighter is temperamental - I've replaced the socket and tried different plugs and it still happens. I had the lighter fitted a couple of years ago at Motorworld - the guy just pushed it through the bulkhead and hooked it up to the battery. Could the wire be damaged and causing a short somewhere?

2. The rear windscreen wash fluid pipe has come loose and everytime I connect it together again (push the plastic tube onto the metal bits) the pressure knocks it off again. I've tried tape etc but it won't stay - any tips?

3. I've been getting condensation inside the car recently, and checked out the rear light area - there's no water in the actual lights but there's a pocket out the back there somewhere that is full with water. Guess I need to get that area resealed?

I know what you're thinking - scrap the heap of junk and get a new car, but I really can't afford that at the moment so will have to repair this one if possible! :p

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Hi, as far as the condensation goes, try taking out some of the floor pan/cill grommets out from the outside of the car. This may drain off water thats collected in there. Make sure you put them back.

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
2. The rear windscreen wash fluid pipe has come loose and everytime I connect it together again (push the plastic tube onto the metal bits) the pressure knocks it off again. I've tried tape etc but it won't stay - any tips?

a really small jubilee clip, then tighten it up over the tube

1. The power to my cigarette lighter is temperamental - I've replaced the socket and tried different plugs and it still happens. I had the lighter fitted a couple of years ago at Motorworld - the guy just pushed it through the bulkhead and hooked it up to the battery. Could the wire be damaged and causing a short somewhere?

if it's been just pushed through a hole in the body with no rubber grommit ,chances are the body work has damaged the wire,get a grommit and re thread a wire in,or take the live for it off your car stereo live wire

·
Registered
117 Posts
Be careful with that cigarette lighter problem, first disconnect the negative (earth terminal) from the battery to isolate the electrics then check the wiring to the cigar lighter. It should go through a grommet to stop any live wire rubbing on the body and causing a short circuit. It should have a fuse in the live feed from the battery end, you can get one of those in-line fuse holders that hold a blade type fuse. It will be high rated due to the current it draws, you can't just attach it to the stereo wire feed as it will burn that out.
Once sorted re-connect the earth terminal on the battery - always disconnect the earth terminal as if you slip with the spanner and touch the body it doesn't cause a short circuit.

Re the water leak - try drying it out with a towel and checking if it's coming into the boot, is there any under the boot carpet or in the spare wheel well? It may be leaking around the rear lights and need to take them off and re-seal them into the body around their mountings.

Re the rear wash wipe connection - could you use a cable tie to make the water pipe hold on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.