Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are aware, my 2.0l Omega has become a bit of a Oil Burner of late.

(<PATRONZING VOICE>despite bitching about her 405 that was a "dirty oil burner" I was allowed to buy the car I wanted, only difference is the 405 was supposed to</PATRONZING VOICE> -G/F)

I know that the Valve seals need doing, and this is part of the head gasket set.

Problem is, My girlfriend is about 5weeks from her due date, and I know that as soon as I crack the head bolts, she will go into labor (Sods Law!! :rolleyes:) So I am trying to limp it out as long as I can.

Is there anybody out there that has the time to spare to give me a helping hand at changing them?

Obviously copious amounts of tea/cofee/beer will be offered to the winning bidder (beer after tho, not a good idea to work on a car when drunk! Found this out years ago on a Mini Mayfair!)

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
What are you going to do if the head needs skimming?

I'm completely swamped with my own headgasket for at least this weekend and next weekend but after that I'm more than happy to swing by

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

If you were closer I'd happily lend a hand, managed to do a Cavalier 1.8 head in 4 hours flat once. Ecotec, with stem seals would probably take a day :).

So long as the head is not warped, which I doubt, you'll be fine. I know what you mean regarding the wife being pregnant, mine is just over 18.5 weeks, which is why I am getting all the time consuming jobs done on the car now, so that come August 1st, everything will be ready and working :).

James.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt that the head would need skimming as it hasn't overheated, so have no reason th suspect that it is warped.

The car was working okay, just it started to burn oil, but at 158K, then I guess its to be expected.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Oh, so are you just doing the head gasket because you want access to the valve stem oil seals then?

What about piston rings?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Rings rarely wear these days, the bores do on the 4 pots if porely maintained (No 1 cylinder)

If you did need the head skimmed, you can normaly get it done for about 25 quid and it only takes 30 mins or so.

I would recommend getting a paste table or put a cloth in the boot so you can lie everything down in the order removed and keep the bolts etc together.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, was gonna try and get some small tubs as well, for the litttl ebolts, and maybe envelopes or something so that they can be labelled.

The vehicle has a very good service history, up until 120ish it was Vx main dealer (ah...wait a min...!) after that it was IVC in Coventry.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Bit far away for me - would cost me £25 in juice - but am willing to lend you the tools - got the tool to extract the seals - (use a deep 10mm socket to re-fit them) and a collett fitting tool.you can pick a valve grinding tool & paste up from halfords for a £5 - you need a deep valve spring compressor for the ecotec valves (i always use my mates as we do valve jobs together so can't lend you that) so if you pay for insured postage I will lend them to you, makes the job a lot easier/quicker with less F'ing and Blinding getting the collets in.
Email:[email protected] also got the cam locking tool for the 2.0 16v
cipher said:
Yeah, was gonna try and get some small tubs as well, for the litttl ebolts, and maybe envelopes or something so that they can be labelled.

The vehicle has a very good service history, up until 120ish it was Vx main dealer (ah...wait a min...!) after that it was IVC in Coventry.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

One tip I remembered about getting collets in, in the absence of a nice tool to do the job, I found dipping them in grease, then attaching them makes all the difference, as they generally stay in place.

HTH,

James.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I saw that on "A Bike Is Born", when he rebuilt the harley head, he used a dob of grease to hold the split collets in place.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Yes we used a little black sealant on a screwdriver - but this kit is great - its a split magnetic cup on a handle - you put the collets in put them on the valve stem - and when you release the valve spring compressor - they are in first time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bargin it also comes with a screened magnet so it only picks the collet up and doesn't stick to the valve spring. saves hours of struggling
Vectrolosys said:
Hello,

One tip I remembered about getting collets in, in the absence of a nice tool to do the job, I found dipping them in grease, then attaching them makes all the difference, as they generally stay in place.

HTH,

James.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts