Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been offered a corsa d with a knackered engine. What should I offer for it?

It definitely needs a new engine, the rest of the car looks ok

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T725 using Tapatalk

·
everson38
96 Posts
Been offered a corsa d with a knackered engine. What should I offer for it?

It definitely needs a new engine, the rest of the car looks ok

Thanks

Hey hugo.

This has a few more questions. As in affect your paying for the shell of the car. When.buyong a car really its about how it run and the mileage but your getting a new engine. For me i would see how kcuh a 59 plate goes for today and the half the price, as a new engine is a cost to you, regardless if you can do the work yourself or not, its still the time your putting in. Fpr a car that old i would have to get it for a steal as a fully functioning running one would be that much today, so.taking on ine without an engine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of offering 50 to 100 and see where that got me. In fairness I'll probably break it

·
Super Moderator
25,784 Posts
Well the garage I towed it to offered 100. I suggested he took it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The scrap in weigh value of the average car around our way was £140 but over the last few months it’s dropped down to £110.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Depends on a lot of things..is it a SRi, SXi, 1.0, 1.2, 1,4 etc.
What condition is the rest of the car and what mileage etc.

·
Super Moderator
25,784 Posts
Depends on a lot of things..is it a SRi, SXi, 1.0, 1.2, 1,4 etc.
What condition is the rest of the car and what mileage etc.
Sadly not , my sons top of the range Ford Fiesta 55 plate was a top spec version , bloke scrapping it told him his only consideration was the amount of metal to weigh & the recycling values were not much different from car to car.
Remember to scrap a vehicle you need the relevant environmental licences for disposal of the fluids.
The days when you could scrap a car on your drive without breaking the laws on disposal of parts as long gone.
Sure you can still do it on your drive until someone shops you in to the authorities then your goose is well & truly cooked , i wouldn’t risk it on our close as there’s a couple constantly phoning the relevant authorities to get people checked out by the council or environmental etc.
I like to live & let live & certainly don’t think it’s clever to keep looking at how others live & then decide they’ve got to tow the line.
Some people are just so perfect in their lives that get all out of shape when someone living near them doesn’t match up.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
But if a breakers are buying the car what the rest of the car is like is very important.
If it's a sport model in good condition apart from the engine, it's going to break for more money.

·
Super Moderator
25,784 Posts
But if a breakers are buying the car what the rest of the car is like is very important.
If it's a sport model in good condition apart from the engine, it's going to break for more money.
All depends on certain factors , like what’s caused the car to be scrapped , if it’s been in a crash chances are certain parts are damaged so cannot be sold.
Other parts don’t get asked for as much as other parts.
It’s like my Astra , i have to source some parts used but say like my tailgate lock , it doesn’t matter if it’s from a sportier version of my Astra or not the lock is the same throughout the range.
Certain parts become rather quicker than other parts as all models in the range use that part & as the cars get taken off the roads those parts get sold off quickly , however as the amount of that model on the road dwindles then you end up with more used parts than what’s actually needed so the value of the scrapped car isn’t so appealing to the merchant.
My sons fiesta had no saleable headlamp units ( both damaged ) broken front bumper ( no fixings )
Dented wings , cracked instrument cluster , dented rear tailgate , broken rear light cluster.
Engine was ok & gearbox ok & a couple of doors were worth saving & that’s about it.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Was talking about the blown engine Fred, so if the rest of the car is in good condition and has sports seats, bumpers, skirts etc it's going to be worth more than say a standard entry level model of the same car.

We have a totally different way of looking at things which is good, if we was all the same it would be boring.
I would think that if it was a car with dwindling numbers that parts would begin to be rarer, might be a good idea to start storing some parts for when people are going to pay more money for them.
Look at how much old Vauxhall parts are now for the likes of Sporty versions, like Cavalier GSi, Turbo, Vectra GSi, Astra Mk3 GSi, Nova parts, Mk2 GTE, etc etc.

Sounds like your Son doesn't look after his car.........:p

·
Super Moderator
25,784 Posts
Was talking about the blown engine Fred, so if the rest of the car is in good condition and has sports seats, bumpers, skirts etc it's going to be worth more than say a standard entry level model of the same car.

We have a totally different way of looking at things which is good, if we was all the same it would be boring.
I would think that if it was a car with dwindling numbers that parts would begin to be rarer, might be a good idea to start storing some parts for when people are going to pay more money for them.
Look at how much old Vauxhall parts are now for the likes of Sporty versions, like Cavalier GSi, Turbo, Vectra GSi, Astra Mk3 GSi, Nova parts, Mk2 GTE, etc etc.

Sounds like your Son doesn't look after his car.........:p
No that would be his wife lol 😂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts