Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Zimmer GT for me!
Black, Astra 1.9 CDTI "Caravan" (apparently).
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just having me cambelt changed at a local garage, and they've spotted that the auxilliary belt lower pulley, the one on the end of the crank shaft, has a perished rubber center! i never noticed the rubber inside that steel sandwich before, but sure enough there it is. And when I went to check the one on my spare engine, that's blimmin perished to! :(
Or what should I expect to pay, as yer maun has ordered one that will arrive on Monday but he hadn't checked the price when I called in.
Are there any 'solid' types that fit?

Cheerrss.

Pete.

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have in mind to clear, let's say 5-6 mm of the rubber out get it welded all round both sides ,then lathe turn the welds for balance. I'd do the lathe turning myself. ;)

·
VxON's local spooky lurker
740 Posts
i assume it has aircon and the likes its mainly there to stop things from slipping/inersher so id just get a new one

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
i would not weld it if you dop as said it will be off balence and will shake to bits. the rubber is there as a dampener, it reduces jolts and vibration. You can get solid ones from places likely courtenay sport, lmf, and Chris Astley motorsport. If you want to get an original one, give autovaux a call they can supply genuine parts at much reduced price compared to the stealers.

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it's just another anti vibe thing, and it's probably out of balance already seeing as the rubber is cracked all round. I could check it for 'trueness' on a lathe, but not for actual balance.
The one on the spare engine is in the same condition. Doh! :lmao:
Checking prices now. ;)

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HOly flikkin blip!!! £83 from my garage!

£43+vat from Autovaux.

My mech has already put the car back together with the old one, as it was driving fine. So that's oky by me. I reckon loads of older Vauxes are driving around with these pulleys in this condition.
I can replace it a little later.

So, what I'm gonna do is, take the spare one to work, check the concentricity of it with a dial micrometer on a lathe. If it looks fair, I'll skim out a little of the old rubber, then get the garage to tack weld it, check it again for alignment, and if it's still ok, get it welded completely on both sides. And finally check that it's concentric again, and lathe turn off the face of the weld, keeping an eye for gaps in the weld.
And I have an idea about checking the balance of it. If that works, I'll post the result. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.