Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the man who makes things
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the heater tank when system is pressured up,but carnt find any leaks?
nothing in the oil (weres it going)any ideas

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Two possibles.

The oil cooler seal or the thermostat seal.The water would then run down the valley and out the back onto the gearbox.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
how much water are you losing, a little or a lot?

mine was losing a little, noticed I could hear a slight hissing if I opened the bonnet after a drive, turned out to be a leaking coolant expansion tank cap - replaced and fine ever since. Perhaps not that simple in your case, but worth checking if you already haven't - cheaper to fix too!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
As Mark says, i have this problem... gonna nail it this weekend!

Take a look under the car after a journey, you will see pure coolant at the bottom of the gearbox and possibly down by the oil filter...

Bugger of a job 2 sort.... :(

Also check you header cap, look around the bonnet for signs of dried coolant

·
the man who makes things
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sophos9 said:
As Mark says, i have this problem... gonna nail it this weekend!

Take a look under the car after a journey, you will see pure coolant at the bottom of the gearbox and possibly down by the oil filter...

Bugger of a job 2 sort.... :(

Also check you header cap, look around the bonnet for signs of dried coolant
loads of answers mmm , right ill try the themo first off (what these cooler seals as i dont think ive got any due to converting it in to a pickup?i know if i leave the cap off the heater tank dosent seem to lose any its when its pressured but dosent overheat at all?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I may, and i say MAY have found the cause of a constant leak on my 2.5 V6, it could be coming from the coolant bridge casting that feeds both cylinder heads with coolant at the rear of the engine sitting on the Cylinder heads......let me tell you what i did

I had a fizzing dripping sound on exhaust manifold at passenger side and water was running down bellhousing too.
I stripped it down and found no culprit......so scratched my head and set to work on joints etc.....changed dowty seals on coolant bridge and torqued it up ok.....result was when engine hot and under water pressure it leaked again but you cannot see where from.
Anyway stripped it down again and undid banjos again and this time i put some copper washers in and sealed it with plumbers Boss Green compound water sealer all over the washers.....and as yet i cannot hear the same fizzing sounds when stopped......maybe i am close to the problem now but it's took a lot of time to get to this point ..........this coolant bridge doesnt look much like an offending item but when you examine it's functionality and its design ...then it could be a reason why i've had this leak.

cheers Monza

·
the man who makes things
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
monza987 said:
I may, and i say MAY have found the cause of a constant leak on my 2.5 V6, it could be coming from the coolant bridge casting that feeds both cylinder heads with coolant at the rear of the engine sitting on the Cylinder heads......let me tell you what i did

I had a fizzing dripping sound on exhaust manifold at passenger side and water was running down bellhousing too.
I stripped it down and found no culprit......so scratched my head and set to work on joints etc.....changed dowty seals on coolant bridge and torqued it up ok.....result was when engine hot and under water pressure it leaked again but you cannot see where from.
Anyway stripped it down again and undid banjos again and this time i put some copper washers in and sealed it with plumbers Boss Green compound water sealer all over the washers.....and as yet i cannot hear the same fizzing sounds when stopped......maybe i am close to the problem now but it's took a lot of time to get to this point ..........this coolant bridge doesnt look much like an offending item but when you examine it's functionality and its design ...then it could be a reason why i've had this leak.

cheers Monza
nice story there matey ,ive no need to buy a manual ill just ask you ,,,basicaly theres no sizzleing sounds and the engines really clean and dry (as ive had all the injection off to convert to redtop ,i noticed a small heater pipe was leaking ,but hasnt stopped my prob dam thing the pipes go nice and solid as well and carnt hear anything from the engine soon as i turn the key off?its puzzleing me ?oh and a dam oil leak which is runing down the back off the starter moter ,but the rocker gaskets above are dry?:shame:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Places to check for coolant loss and idealy have a coolant pressure system ready to pressurise the system so you can see where its leaking -

Coolant bridge & connecting hoses
Oil cooler plate seal
Oil cooler seals

If you have oil leaking and its definitely, check your header tank for any contamination, possible oil cooler failure.... Not good :shame:

Dont forget to let us know how you resolve this issues....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had a huge leak last year, HBV and a split hose. Sorted that but I have been losing about 1pint every 2-3 weeks. No steam or hissing. No oil in water, no water in oil. Nothing obvious really. It's been too cold and wet get under and have a look. I will be monitoring the situation and when the weather gets better I will try and find the leak.

L

·
0 Posts
As the boss says, if there is a water leak, and no obvious signs, then the thermostat housing is starting to look a likely culprit.

I had the same problem on the MV6, Mark has had it on his
(yes even the wise one can have car problems! :eh ), and I have heard of one or two others over the last few months.

Simply remove plenum on the V6 (dumbest thermostat placement I have ever seen!) and look around the thermostat housing for signs of leakage.

·
the man who makes things
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
laidback66 said:
As the boss says, if there is a water leak, and no obvious signs, then the thermostat housing is starting to look a likely culprit.

I had the same problem on the MV6, Mark has had it on his
(yes even the wise one can have car problems! :eh ), and I have heard of one or two others over the last few months.

Simply remove plenum on the V6 (dumbest thermostat placement I have ever seen!) and look around the thermostat housing for signs of leakage.
cheers ill rip it off and reseal it (checked the waterpump its dry no odd signs of water corrision

1 - 13 of 13 Posts