Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems my original thread on this got nuked during the server move, ah well... Anyway, just had the head gaskets on my V6 replaced following the weird combination of symptoms we had a couple of weeks ago. For anyone who recalls the original thread, we had thick mud-like sludge being forcibly expelled from the coolant expansion tank due to overpressure in the coolant system, plus a total lack of any actual coolant in the system, along with a pretty serious amount of engine vibration at low revs making the whole car shake as if the V6 had been replaced with a diesel from an ancient tractor.

The diagnosis from our usual garage (independent back-street guys, seem pretty reliable and honest, and don't charge the earth for the work they do - don't even charge for some stuff that'd be an easy 60+ quid at a VX dealer) was head gasket failure. Leaving the car sat at home, my wife cabbed it to and from work the following day and ended up chatting to the Omega-driving cabbie who brought her home... he recommended a local guy who does all his servicing. Took a slow and steady drive over to his house and left the car overnight for him to give us his opinion once the engine had cooled down. Phone call the next day - definitely head gasket... Good news, he was quite willing to do the work for significantly less than even the indie garage, let alone whatever VX would have asked.

After an utterly miserable week of driving around in a hired Megane (pokey little 1.6 engine, twitchy steering, brakes that send you through the screen if you so much as breathe on them at anything below 35-40, manual box - after 3 years in the Omega, my left leg was wondering wtf was going on here - and a stereo system with less bass than my PDA... decent aircon though!) the work was done and we got the car back. Engine is running nice and smoothly again, and the only things left to sort out now are a leaky PAS reservoir and a rather rough-sounding radiator fan, oh yeah, and giving the engine bay a damn good clean to get rid of all the dried oil sludge...

...which I'm thinking had just been lurking in a deep recess of the cooling system since the oil cooler replacement 8 months ago, and had then been forced out into the open by the excess pressure, as opposed to being a fresh symptom of this problem.

So, having said all that, two questions:

1. Just how rare is V6 HG failure? Everyone keeps on saying it is, so have I just been really unlucky?

2. Is there anything that can make it more likely? The car has never missed a service or cambelt change (assuming the service history is accurate for the period prior to us buying the car) and the engine hasn't been thrashed (I like to give it a good stretch every now and then, but we don't constantly drive round with the rev counter bouncing off the redline). It has however done around 135000 miles - is it simply a case of an old and well-used engine component giving up due to age/mileage wear and tear?

Actually, I'll add a third... just *what* is it about the Omega that keeps us so loyal to a car which is so capable of burning time and money on repairs?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I worked at the V6 plant on warranty and durability - V6 head gaskets do go in time - usually after 100k - they go around the water jacket. look at jseamans posts I did a V6 rebuild for him around Feb this year his gaskets had failed at around 120k.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I worked at the V6 plant on warranty and durability - V6 head gaskets do go in time - usually after 100k - they go around the water jacket. look at jseamans posts I did a V6 rebuild for him around Feb this year his gaskets had failed at around 120k.
Wowzers, that's quite some work the two of you got through! Damn good reference material for anyone else contemplating anything similar as well... Thanks for the HG info, if it's purely an age/mileage issue then I don't need to worry about this new one going - chances are I'll still be driving an Omega in 100k miles time, it just won't be this one.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Shame it never got made into a how2 (do it properly) but a lot of people have used it for reference though.

Wowzers, that's quite some work the two of you got through! Damn good reference material for anyone else contemplating anything similar as well... Thanks for the HG info, if it's purely an age/mileage issue then I don't need to worry about this new one going - chances are I'll still be driving an Omega in 100k miles time, it just won't be this one.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
I suspect its more time related than mileage related plus regular coolant changes help.

I know of cars on 250K miles+ at 10+ years old with original headgaskets still going strong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.