Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im toying with the idea of changing my 2.0 Ecotec engine to a Cav V6 engine and would like to know what gearbox comes with the v6 engine.

Also would the F20 gearbox with its closer ratio's be better and would it fit?

·
Registered
689 Posts
The V6 is fitted with the F25 gearbox as standard.

Yes, the F20 will fit, there is a how to for doing the F20 gearbox conversion on here... Really helps with the V6, the ratio's make total use of its power...

I considered it myself, but in the end decided i would keep to the taller gearing on the F25 as it offered a higher top speed and lower engine revs at motorway speeds, something i do both of alot and its all extra fuel being burnt otherwise.

That said, its a very popular conversion. Your need to make some spacers up to fit it, and convert the linkage among other things too... But dont think its an easy job... I had to drop the subframe on my V6 to get the box out when i changed the clutch. Its ALOT of work, and being the V6 everything is everywhere... I did it on a ramp no worries though. :) Took me 2 days to do it, though i only worked on it for about 6 hours each day and everything was seized or broke. lmao.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
The V6 is fitted with the F25 gearbox as standard.

Yes, the F20 will fit, there is a how to for doing the F20 gearbox conversion on here... Really helps with the V6, the ratio's make total use of its power...

I considered it myself, but in the end decided i would keep to the taller gearing on the F25 as it offered a higher top speed and lower engine revs at motorway speeds, something i do both of alot and its all extra fuel being burnt otherwise.

That said, its a very popular conversion. Your need to make some spacers up to fit it, and convert the linkage among other things too... But dont think its an easy job... I had to drop the subframe on my V6 to get the box out when i changed the clutch. Its ALOT of work, and being the V6 everything is everywhere... I did it on a ramp no worries though. :) Took me 2 days to do it, though i only worked on it for about 6 hours each day and everything was seized or broke. lmao.
May have to borrow you then to do my clutch/flywheel/thrust bearing when it's needed...same procedure...how much would you charge? lol :bananasmi By the way, what is the 6 speed gearbox from the Calibra Turbo called? Does it have an f number?

·
Registered
689 Posts
May have to borrow you then to do my clutch/flywheel/thrust bearing when it's needed...same procedure...how much would you charge? lol :bananasmi By the way, what is the 6 speed gearbox from the Calibra Turbo called? Does it have an f number?
Absolutely no worries mate, just let me know when you want it doing and as long as you feed me a bacon sarnie tea (milk no sugar!) and contribute to my fuel ill gladly help you mate. I cant til around middle of next month though, as ive a few things to do before MOT and have to wait til im paid (10th) before i can start driving again! :(

Dont worry about paying just help with fuel, i used to work on cars, but left the industry a little while back and its more a thing of leisure now. :)

The 6 speed is the F28 mate. But its usually very expensive to get hold of, and you need a 2wd conversion kit as well... But they suit the V6 well i believe.

EDIT: You said you have it already, so im guessing its been converted... :) Though if its in an Omega, im not sure if its been converted how you need.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Cheers V6Cav, much appreciated...no the omega engine is in a cav with the v28 vectra gearbox lol all very confusing...especially with the omega headlights but works well i think :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
If its 2wd it will need the conversion kit, i think that goes without saying to be honest... That person may not have needed it as the conversion was in place maybe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts