Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in Comm Central rather than Vectra Tech as it is more general information/opinions I am after

Going to be getting the cam-belt (and related ancilliaries) changed on the V6 soon.... will either get local mech to do it 'sort of on the side' and it would cost £200 or maybe a bit more parts and labour all in.

But do want to get doing a lot of bits on the car(s) myself - rather than using mechanics....

1) Using "Haynes" in conjunction with How2's from here and/or VVOC is the V6 Cambelt change do-able by someone with little direct experience, but is good at following diagrams/directions? [Dont have the Haynes yet so cant look it up and see what's involved - hence this thread].

2) Can it be done from above - as getting under the car isnt an option with no ramps, axle stands etc (unless factor them into the cost).

3) What other tools lkely to be needed as my tool collection is still pretty minimal (again - to be factored into the cost).

Alternatively would "caution be the better part of valour", and leave it up to the professional doing it on the side - as quoted above, which is still cheaper than it going in 'officially'.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nudging in a plea for attention...

maybe someone online early tomorrow (or later today as it turns out) can chip in their tuppence worth

·
I dont fear the Reaper, Reaper fears me
6,869 Posts
You will need it off the ground on one side with wheel off.. so basically requires axle stand to do it safely, altho obiously the wheel under the car is the old trick...
To be honest mate if your not to "with it" regarding mechanical knowhow, then on a V6 i would suggest pay for the assurance.....

Tool's wise you will most likely need a set of Torx bit's [ star shaped sockets as belt covers are these [ at least on my SRi they were ],
possibley a couple of cam lock's again dont knw if you need these you generally do on diesel's, can be done without but need to be more careful....

you MAY need to remove Engine mount for ancill belt [ again dont know for certain on V6 ],

Not trying to put you off just coming up with possibilities, as i havent done one on a V6 so couldnt say for certain..
And of course, patience time, somewhere clean and dry to do it....

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well cheers for that.....

am not a completely devoid of mechanical know-how and pottered on my own cars in the states - but there's the difference.... had a nice dry garage a couple of axle stands, big jack and a range of tools..... all of which are currently lacking over here.

on the 2.0 8v Dip' I would definitely have a crack now (having seen it done once before), but the V6 is a different matter.
on the face of it then - partly for speed and ease of mind - might be better getting it done this time round and can work on the rest as time goes on.

if anyone else has tuppence'worth to share - then feel free.......

·
I dont fear the Reaper, Reaper fears me
6,869 Posts
Indeed 8v units are P!$$ easy due to only having to worry about the one cam mark lol,
dont want to sound to negative but without knowing the situation you'll be doing it in [ which sounds like outside ] , no stands / supports and quite possibley lacking in the tool's then maybe lkeave to mech...

But thats me lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts