Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to those reading,
Currently in a horrible situation due to my Astra mk 5 1.6 petrol.
Tonight about 50 miles away from home my car has had to be abandoned due to it not being able to start. The first problem I faced is that the starter motor wasn’t working so I gave it a tap with a metal bar and repeated every 5 minutes until my starter motor started to work again, problem resolved... not quite. I then go to start my car and it cuts out while the engine is rumbling to start, after this I kept on trying to bring my car back to life but every time I turned the ignition the car would cut out while all my dashboard lights and electrics were flickering, I then realised I had drained my battery while getting my (brand new) starter motor to work, after waiting for 30 mins someone was kind enough to help me by giving me a jump start with cables, however after letting my car charge for 10 mins it still wouldn’t start it would just cut out while electrics were flashing.
Any suggestions or comments would be highly appreciated as this is a stressful time, I have to move my car from the place I left it tomorrow and I can’t afford to have it towed away so my only solution is to fix it somehow.
Note* fuel filter got a bit clogged but I cleared it out over a period of 3 days last week by driving it on the motorway for long periods of time.
Recently had a new starter motor replaced around 4 weeks ago,
Battery was completely dead last week but worked when I gave it a jump start.
Has had issues starting for the last week, for example, starter motor not engaging.
Engine cutting out just before t finally fires up, (starts firing making noise then dies)
Engine trying to start then all lights flicker and car dies. Every single time though it’s started in the second attempt no matter what the reason is for it not starting until tonight. I’m hoping a good long charge tomorrow may do the trick but I’m not so confident :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you got anyway of getting the fault codes
Hi, thankyou for the response, I was able to do a pedal test but no fault codes were shown, I believe the car to have had fuel problems lately as I have ran it in it’s reserve tank quite a few times due to financial issues. Until tonight my car has worked everyday but sometimes wouldn’t start, the thing which is confusing me is that when it doesn’t start, it’s a different issue each time, sometimes it’s the starter motor not turning over which fixes itself on the second or third attempt, other times it seems to be the battery, although I recently had it tested, then jumpstarted and took on a long drive to fully charge it. the most frequent problem is sometimes it doesn’t start due to what I believe is the engine not getting enough fuel and having to give it gas just before it fires up otherwise it cuts out. Just to add I’ve had my car at a full tank for the past few days and topped up my engine oil

*each time my car has failed to start because of one of the above issues, it has started after the 2nd or 3rd attempt

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
It would be diffiult to say or guess to be hounest I'm not sure of the Astra H. But I know of 2 sensors that cause this problem and don't leave fault codes behind. Crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor. Both are used by the ecu to control fuel and spark

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would check the terminals on the battery and the earth strap to the body/engine. This could easily be just a weak connection and the battery not getting a full charge or just a too weak connection for the starter getting all the amps required to start the engine with out getting a boost via a jump start. Hope you get it sorted and it is a cheap fix.

·
Super Moderator
27,809 Posts
If your battery died on you recently then it's time for a new one , it may well cure your problems . A tired out battery trying to power a starter motor to turn the engine over won't have much left to provide the electrical juice for the engine management system to operate the sensors etc , hence the poor starting & cutting out your experiencing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be due to the recent work in the starter motor area. Wire not fully connected or bolted tight enough
Hi I have tested the battery and attempted a second jump start, the battery is perfectly fine and I am mainly thinking now that it could be a loose wire under the starter motor, however I am also scared it could be something to do with fuel, as once it primes it sometimes drops right back to zero, still no fault codes either

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your battery died on you recently then it's time for a new one , it may well cure your problems . A tired out battery trying to power a starter motor to turn the engine over won't have much left to provide the electrical juice for the engine management system to operate the sensors etc , hence the poor starting & cutting out your experiencing.
Hi, thankyou for the response, I have tested the battery and everything is okay on that side, checked all fuses and made sure connections were tight and car was earthed properly, everything okay on that aspect, my suspicions now is that I’ve loosened a cable when tapping the starter motor last night

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to add, I have checked all fuses, and earth connections, battery is fine and starter motor does work fine, no fault codes are appearing, have had to leave it where it is for now as can’t have it towed home until tomorow, need to find out what the problem is before chucking money at it as I am currently skint and also can’t get to work without my car due to the area I live in being a countryside, rough times. Main suspicion I have is a loose cable under the starter motor (small red cable) due to me tapping it last night and the recent work I had done to replace the starter motor, either that or problem with the fuel as sometimes when it has primes the fuel gauge will drop back to zero after a few minutes and doesn’t seem to be reading my fuel correctly anymore as I have over 1/2 a tanks and it’s nkw reading at 1/4. No leaks either that has been checked, thankyou to everyone who has responded so far I appreciate and apologise if my knowledge on cars is vague, I’ve only been driving for 9 months.
Absolutely loved my Astra unti these recent few weeks as it’s been my most reliable car

·
Super Moderator
27,809 Posts
Hi I have tested the battery and attempted a second jump start, the battery is perfectly fine and I am mainly thinking now that it could be a loose wire under the starter motor, however I am also scared it could be something to do with fuel, as once it primes it sometimes drops right back to zero, still no fault codes either
If the battery is fine why are you needing jump starts ?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Like what Fred has said I too think that your battery is goosed---how are you checking it--also sounds like your starter motor may have a fault too.2 bits of advice I can give you is ---never let your petrol tank run right down--it just draws any rubbish into the system--and secondly you should really get some breakdown cover for yourself--it will save you a lot of hassle and these days it can be obtained quite cheap.Don't think i'm getting at you as we have all been there including me------Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like what Fred has said I too think that your battery is goosed---how are you checking it--also sounds like your starter motor may have a fault too.2 bits of advice I can give you is ---never let your petrol tank run right down--it just draws any rubbish into the system--and secondly you should really get some breakdown cover for yourself--it will save you a lot of hassle and these days it can be obtained quite cheap.Don't think i'm getting at you as we have all been there including me------Dave
Yep I’m starting to believe that there is a loose cable which is affecting the starter motor and the battery was tested last week using voltage testers and tested last night by checking all lights, junpstarting and leaving it to charge etc, I also had breakdown cover however I literally changed insurance policy 2 days ago and havent included it in my new policy- my mistake but I can only learn from it I guess

·
Super Moderator
27,809 Posts
I first thought the problem was the battery which is why I attempted to jump start but had no luck
What happens is this , your battery dies so you jump start off another vehicle . However because your battery is down the battery on the running car can’t supply enough juice to both your starter motor & your engines management system , the battery on the other car is also having to keep the other cars engine management system running & that cars alternator is only putting out its normal voltage while all this extra electrical power is needed.
Found this out when the wife’s Astra H battery went flat when she left her lights on all day , her uncles 2.0 tdi golf wouldn’t get the Astra started despite the starter motor spinning over . The RAC came out & put his special jump starter booster pack on to the battery & boom up she fired into life , his battery had enough to spin the starter & supply the engines management system with the juice it needed to function .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all, my car has been fixed by a garage today’, the problem was that the mechanic who last fitted my starter motor left all the wires loose and stripped down which has caused the starter motor and other electrics to short out, damaging my coil pack and plugs, this in turn caused my car to run on 3 cylinders while it did work and messed one of my injectors up causing my engine to flood a little and my oil and fuel filter needing replacement, new coil pack, plugs and filters were fitted and all loose wires sorted out, (explains why my car had 3 different starting issues before she finally went) car starts and drives perfectly since picking her up today, however in the last hour the engine management light has appeared ( yellow car with spanner running through) I understand this is most likely because the electrics have been played with and that fault codes probs haven’t been resettled but just looking to know if this is common, thanks in advance and appreciate all the previous responses.

32 minutes agoEditReport
+ QuoteRepl

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Well done something so easy but once it's forgotten can cause loads of issues and damage to other previously healthy parts.
What I would do is save the fault codes and have them cleared and see what returns as they could be down to the wires being reconnected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well done something so easy but once it's forgotten can cause loads of issues and damage to other previously healthy parts.
What I would do is save the fault codes and have them cleared and see what returns as they could be down to the wires being reconnected.
I will do that, thankyou

1 - 19 of 19 Posts