Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a flat battery (as of have been cleaning the car out, changing bulbs and getting the elec sunroof un stuck) and remembered i have a spair battery (brand new) and thought i would swap em over, esp due to the old batt being at the end of the life, the onlything is i got it for heavy duty for the frontera, so it has 700 cold crank amps for 130 min, im not sure what the GSI one is supposed to be, but i should be ok??

I usually go up one battery rating due to haveing the heaters n sub on all the time, but this is a tad extream, but cant see a problem?

Any idea if it will cause a prob?

p.s the batterys are physicaly the same size.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but then again, you wont be taking anymore out of it then you would on the correct size battery, it only charges what is taken suerly?

C

·
0 Posts
If the battery isn't rated to the alternator, the alternator will always be working it's socks off to fill the battery.

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
Alternator is self current limitting.

Battery won't take any more load than has been taken out of it.

If you've run the same load for the same time, with the engine off, a bigger battery won't take any more current.

I've got a 72AH battery on my GTE.

Was fine on the 55A 20XE alternator, and fine now on the 120A 30XE alternator

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
I have a 66Ah battery in mine - it is listed for a 44Ah but it only had a 40Ah which was a tad on the small size when it came to starting on cold mornings. The alternator is rated for higher than 66Ah so it is fine ;)

I took out the 40Ah battery that was in it and replaced it with a brand new 66Ah one. Bit of a difference in size :lmao: but it fits in like a glove ;)

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
yeah it will be fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts