Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basicly, rev engine and release pedal, sounds like a kinda errrrr fart/backfire, i don`t know how to explain it, i picked my car up today from having it lowered and the mechanic said i probably have unburnt fuel going back up??? or a "mixture problem i think he said" what the blazes does this mean, she runs fine and pulls great generally drives fine, any ideas or know what i`m talkin about????

i mentioned to him that i might be going to the rolling road, and he said they would be able to pin point the problem more acuratly, is that true, or is there anything i can do, and please remember i`m not mechanicly brained

X20XEV ecotec 95 cav cdx

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Rolling road will point you in the right direction

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
If as you say drives fine,,, then get it on the rollers and see what they tell you??

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any of you guys know what it might be??? or had the same expirence

know doubt this is gonna cost alot, the mechanic said the word cat, makes me cringe

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
My old Cav overfuelled a little but had a mixture screw on the airflow meter, don't think there is any way of changing it on an Eco-tec

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
If he used the dreaded word,,,,
Just get underneath and give it a whack with an oversized tapometer ;)

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WannabeCowboy said:
If he used the dreaded word,,,,
Just get underneath and give it a whack with an oversized tapometer ;)
what will this do???

bigdrifter: so if i`s over mixing there is nothing i can do? and do any harm, coz irc it has been doing it since i had the car

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
If the Cat rattles when you hit it then its knackered basically. If the cars running fine though I wouldn't stress too much and wait to see what the rolling road day turns up

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, a bit of an update, i cleaned the car today,(really blitzed it) and decided to tap the cat, no problems there, started her up, and revved a few times, still did it, then i noticed she stopped, so i might be tempted to add to this problem that it only does it when she`s cold, does this help diagnose the prob, also, not sure if its coz i had just washed the car, but when i revved her she was spitting something out of the exhust, now this could be were i washed her, previous condensation, or the unburnt fuel(is that possible)?

as for the colour smoke, its hard to say wether its grey or white, and as for the smell, i could`nt decide that either, wether its a normal smell or a "rich" fuel smell, in my mind i feel that its not to fuel smelling.

so after reading that, does it shed any light on the subject???

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dest said:
If it runs ok it will be fine till the RR day.
Jamie will soon tell you if its running rich etc :)
is it true that if its running rich, then nothing can be done on an ecotec? what i mean is that the little screw you turn on the carb, that would solve this would`nt it, ( i have no idea what i`m talkin about) lol

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,825 Posts
Snail said:
what the blazes does this mean
Tally ho old chap,......let's get this bally Spitfire back in the air!!!!!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
i had the same pronlem on my astra , exactly the same symptoms except one day i was thrashing it and it at fast gearchange i noticed a big black cloud of smoke come out the back and lots of bits of rusty metal bouncing down the road , funny as !!!
Turned out to simply be the silencer and rotted in the middle and had collapsed blocking it thus making the funny noise , silencer looked fine on the
outside , anyway replaced it and all was fine after that ,

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
silencer is the back box????

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to update this thread

i have changed the back box as the baffles had completly gone which has improved my idling, i still have the unburnt fuel problem though, at the RR there was no mention of it so i`m none the wiser, and my mechanic was also hoping that he would be able to pin point or near as damn it where the problem may lay,

has anybody had this "unburnt" fuel problem???? how did you resolve it???
2 my knowledge it can be down to a few things, but it can be expensive procedure trying different things to find the fault, even the CAT could be a prob :( (need that like a hole in the exhaust)

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Is it missing at all? All the fuel should be burnt up in the ignition process, if it's not it might be your plugs not providing a good enough spark. When was the last time you changed them/leads?

EDIT: is there black smoke coming out the exhaust?

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no black smoke

they were changed the last time i had a service which was in augustish, i am waiting for a delivery of spark plugs and i have received the leads.

if this happens to be the cause, and i change them, will the popping stop? or will the fuel still be sitting in the exhust popping??

sorry to sound thick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts