Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, another amature here in need of some advice!

Motor in question is a 05 plate vectra C club 1.8 16v.

I've finally finished all my suspension work, arms bushes shocks springs etc, feels a whole lot better on the road but I think there is still room for improvement as far as comfort is concerned, especially with the state of Edinburghs road at the moment, I can't keep going round painting male genitals on pot holes any more as the law is on to me ;) so..I'm looking at bigger tyres, in the hope that they will take a bit more of the brunt when it comes to potholes and alike.currently there are 205 55 16 91v on. Has anyone here tried 60s on a vectra? Or even 65s? (Which is practically a van tyre)
There would be a 6.49% difference with a 65 on, which I think may be a bit daft, I don't know? 60s would be 3.24% difference which i think is pretty excetable. Question is has anyone here ever tried this and if so with what kind of results? I'm all about comfort btw

Cheers

Pete

·
Mud Lover
526 Posts
You might find the choice of tyres on the 65 profile a bit restricting, as you said, that size is common on a van, so a lot of the tyres will have tread patterns aimed at a commercial, rather than a car. This might not bother you though.

Any change in tyre size will effect the speedo, so bear that in mind!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might find the choice of tyres on the 65 profile a bit restricting, as you said, that size is common on a van, so a lot of the tyres will have tread patterns aimed at a commercial, rather than a car. This might not bother you though.

Any change in tyre size will effect the speedo, so bear that in mind!
I'm not fussed about tread pattern, as long as it's legal and sticks to the road I'm happy, just want to smooth the road out a bit. Just wondering if it's really going to make much of a difference before a splash out £250 getting them fitted. Will ofcourse take in to account speed, I very rarely go abover 60mph so can't see it being an issue with 60s on. Ideally the bigger the better.

·
Mud Lover
526 Posts
Its not usually in 60 & 70 limits that an inaccurate speedo is a problem, it's mainly 30 & 40 limits.

As far as tread patterns go, the commercial tyres are not usually as quiet or fuel efficient, and often don't grip tarmac as well as a car tyre, especially where cornering is involved. They flex less as they are usually thicker, which also effects handling. Speed ratings are often less.

Plus points are that they can cope with more weight, and grip on loose surfaces is much better.

I'm not trying to put you off of commercial tyres, I've run them on a car before, just want to point out the differences!

If you did want to avoid commercial, but go taller than 205/60r16, then 215/60r16 will be a touch taller.

But in the grand scheme of things we are talking very small changes anyway, and potholes will still notice, but obviously the taller the sidewall the more likely it would be to soften up the blow, slightly.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers ed
So am i right in thinking I could fit 215s onto my existing alloys? That I didn't know.

Edinburghs roads do resemble dirt roads at the moment, but I hear you on the commercial tread, perhaps a bit to hardcore to justify.

I'll have a think.

Cheers

·
Mud Lover
526 Posts
You can go one size either way on a rim, sometimes more. Rim width is measured in inches, and should be stamped somewhere on your rim. On alloys with a centre cap, its usually between the bolt holes, others it might be on the rear.

This site has a chart showing what width tyres can be fitted to each rim width:

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts