Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Vauxhall owners. I want to ask if anyone here has used an engine cleaning additive & got results from it? I have the iveco 1.7 cdti in my 2011 astra j "sports" wagon with 95k miles on the clock. I've used with good results lucas oil injector & head cleaner which sorted out an irregular tick over. I've had to change the glow plugs & the 4th one snapped! I'm watching videos on how to remove it, the thread is out but the rest is stuck probably from carbon looking at the one that came out with no problems. So if you've had success with an engine cleaner deposit remover please let me know. Also any tips you've used yourself to remove a broken glow plug would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance satanic fuel users (Clarksons view not mine!) 馃槄馃槀馃ぃ
Household hardware Office supplies Gun accessory Metal Nickel
Automotive tire Plant Sunglasses Gas Eyewear

Attachments

I've used Redex diesel treatment for years with excellent results. Only 拢2 a bottle when Tesco have it on offer.

Registered
Same here I do a standard dose for a full tank then quarterly dose every tank tank full.
I find you get better mpg this way.

Registered
Thanks guys but none of this matters unless i get the broken glow plug out!
I think the fuel makes contact with the end of the plug, this is I believe where the carbon can collect that can seize it into the head.

On my last diesel that had 6 thin plugs I ran a strongish concentration of Reddex through the week before removing them successfully with a 1/4 impact driver.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ashley, but the horse has already bolted! It snapped & I'll never touch another again! So far 2 weeks of misery & my garage can't do anything until the 25! No car no freedom is so depressing. Thanks & I hope others read your tip

Registered
Thanks Ashley, but the horse has already bolted! It snapped & I'll never touch another again! So far 2 weeks of misery & my garage can't do anything until the 25! No car no freedom is so depressing. Thanks & I hope others read your tip
Can you not run it with three working? Probably wouldn't do any harm in the short term?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you not run it with three working? Probably wouldn't do any harm in the short term?
Yes sure but I don't want it to come loose and fall into the engine, sods law! Booked into my local garage where "Mr thread" will sort it, it's gonna cost but no choice now

Premium Member
Yes sure but I don't want it to come loose and fall into the engine,
There is no way it can fall into the engine, look at the shape of the new glow plug.
If anything, it could just blow out, if you are exceedingly lucky!

Registered
There is no way it can fall into the engine, look at the shape of the new glow plug.
If anything, it could just blow out, if you are exceedingly lucky!
Yeah, that's not going to happen, but it may be a bit lumpy for a few seconds after starting. Hope they can get it out without too much hassle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts