Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK now I got your attention, I've managed to shear off a brake caliper nipple nearside rear, it's stuck good an proper it's 1.7 2007 combo crap heap, I was going to rebuild the caliper but it ain't happening today I don't have an extractor kit, anyone successfully welded a nut on, don't want to play around with it yet until I get some new bleed nipples, next question is what size is it, looks like an M10 x 1mm is that correct? Cheers guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tbh it would probably be cheaper and easier to just replace the caliper. Has it snapped flush you could try drilling with left handed drill bit or an easy out. The issue you may have is that if you where to damage the casing trying to remove it and still required a new caliper then a motor factors may not give you your surcharge back

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tbh it would probably be cheaper and easier to just replace the caliper. Has it snapped flush you could try drilling with left handed drill bit or an easy out. The issue you may have is that if you where to damage the casing trying to remove it and still required a new caliper then a motor factors may not give you your surcharge back
Yea it's snapped flush, I dont have the money for a new caliper right now as they are about 70 to 80 notes, I tend to rebuild them rather than buy new as the seal kits are less than tenner, already bought the seal kit so got to get this stub out come what may.
Since I posted this couple people have recommend heating it up, soaking in wd40, drilling and knocking a torx bit in, welding a nut on or easy out but the easy out is the last option as I've had them snap on me before.

·
13,352 Posts
I paid just under £45 for two rear new rear callipers, they are not that expensive.
Mine was fine hydraulically but I got fed up of the handbrake mechanism seizing up so changed them. Same as on your Combo - unless you have the Bosch ones.

I've had good success with heating them up with a blowlamp, I wouldn't go near them with a welder.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dont recomend using an easyout type extractor. The are too hard and brittle for removing rusted in bleed nipples.
I learnt that lesson the £hard way with a motor bike front brake caliper.
Think car ones are expensive at £80? Dont look at the price of new bike bits. Even second hand (at the fime) was £HFM !!! :)

·
Super Moderator
26,651 Posts
When i read the threads title I was going to say Ice Cubes , but then I remembered it's a car forum lol 😄

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I dont recomend using an easyout type extractor. The are too hard and brittle for removing rusted in bleed nipples.
I learnt that lesson the £hard way with a motor bike front brake caliper.
Think car ones are expensive at £80? Dont look at the price of new bike bits. Even second hand (at the fime) was £HFM !!! :)
Yup when I had the mondeo and the 2 front shocks went, the knuckle is held on to the shock with one bolt, 9 times out of 10 the head will sheer because the bolt bends as it's tightened up, drilled it and used an easy out and it snapped in there, many swear words were invented that day, unless your easy out is forged under a dragons breath "really must stop watching merlin :giggle:" or made in Japan don't bother.
My brother was into bikes and on first name basis with his bank manager.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts