Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I've been unemployed for a few months now .
I was talking to Laura today and she said that HGV driver training is part of their training programme after 6 months unemployed :eh
I couldn't believe it bloody great wonderful .
Does anyone else have any info on this ?
Also can you do more than one course ?
Had a look on job center website but not much info on training .

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
i think, although dont quote me, but its 1 course per 6 month stint.

you do a course then spend 6 months trying to get a job doing it, then if unsuccsessful, you do a different one.

brother, uncle and 2 cousins all got FLT licences that way.
wasnt aware something like hgv was avaliable tho.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i did it..at first they said i had to "have a start date for a job"..a lot of p1ssing me about followed..then went to a "client adviser" and told her what i wanted to do ..she put me in touch with a training centre...
its a five day intensive course...but you have to pass theory 1st...

·
Registered
0 Posts
tell them its the training you want to do and they can get you a "jobseekers grant" £500...use it to pay for the license, and medical, and theory test...and get workwear...you "need" to get PPE..hi vis vest , hard hat, boots, gloves and hi vis coat..they may try to fob you off at job centre ..so go to a "Training agency"

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the advice . Doing an Hgv works out at just over a grand for the lot . Realy want to do it .
1 course per 6 month stint is fine I'll choose Hgv if I can .

So Garth , you actually got your Hgv with the help of the job center ?
So I gotta be a bit pushey though .
Five day intensive sounds wicked , a little holiday too :cool: :lmao:

·
Registered
0 Posts
sort of...i did my FLT, then went to ask about hgv..job centre are awkward twts...would'nt let me do it...so i went to a "client advisor" at a training agency, connected with the job centre.....she made some calls and a few weeks later found training...but had to try and get cash from job centre to pay for it...again they were p1ssing me around...
eventually got them to pay...
while i was at it i applied for HIAB..and did that...

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right cheers mate so I gotta be real pushey .
What's HIAB . Not as in crane work ?

·
VXON-0095
186 Posts
it cost me £1000 of my hard earned money while paying a mortgage running 2 cars and supporting my wife who is pregnant to pass mine about 2 months ago what a funking country why didnt i just f**k my job off and get it handed to me on a plate

Sorry thats my rant over grrrr

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Daddy Cav, when did you get your Driving Licence, was it before January 1997?

If not, got some bad news for you, you will have to sit your Catagory C1 (7.5 ton) before you can get Category C (HGV2 18ton)

HIAB is the samll crane on the back of some trucks, good to have if you will be doing site work.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Don't confuse the Job Centre with a Training advisory centre. They are measured on people who move into employment and they don't care what it is.

For adult training advice and free job related internet use go to your careers guidance unit run by local council for school leavers. They DO have an adult careers officer who will know more about grants, loans and will be able to list all training courses and providers. The other thing is that they were able to give me the truth about 'dream jobs' . I asked about becoming a driving instructor and apparently the average instructor clears about £14K and has a second job. When I was unemployed, I spent 3 mornings a week searching the internet and using their phones and one day they even provided me with coffee.

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the advice lads I passed my driving test in '96 by the way .
veccylad- I've been in full time employment since I was 16 , just trying to make the best out of what advantages I can with training .
I too struggled on **** wages when my wife was pregnant .

I'll give careers advice a look cheers although I always thought driving instructors were on at least 30k .

·
VXON-0095
186 Posts
daddy cav said:
Cheers for the advice lads I passed my driving test in '96 by the way .
veccylad- I've been in full time employment since I was 16 , just trying to make the best out of what advantages I can with training .
I too struggled on **** wages when my wife was pregnant .

I'll give careers advice a look cheers although I always thought driving instructors were on at least 30k .

not a dig at you pal:Cool2: was just havin a rant

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah mate :cool:

C

·
0 Posts
This an American place??

Area dependant you can earn up around £700 a week on the artics.

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you mean by American mate ?
Want to do class 2 first , then artics at a later date .

C

·
0 Posts
Center :turd

Have to do 2 then 1 now, (rigid then artic), or whatever letters they use now.
Good fun beating around in a lorry, interesting down the little lanes....:bust:

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So they wont make me do 7.5 tonne then ? passed in 1996 .
Might bring in some new rules or something if you never drive a 7.5tonne .
When you say 2 tests then artic does that mean I'll have to do 2 different courses for rigid to start with.
Got to get myself down the training centER :lmao: in basildon and ask as many questions as I need to know .

C

·
0 Posts
1st Jan 97 for 7.5 ton, so we both just squeezed in :Cool2:
Cant just go from car to artic now, have to do rigid first. More money for someone I guess.
I drive 18 tonners most the time, without too much load you can drive them like a car, sling them about etc. Easy enough really.

CentRE you tosser, we're in England! :lmao:
You must have worked for Wolseley?

·
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whoops sorry meant to do RE on that last one :lmao:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts