Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it illegal and against the MOT test to have TPMS deactivated ?
I want a full size Spare as I know a man who owns a Salvage Yard and can Supply me with Secondhand Wheels with part worn tyres already fitted if I need to replace worn out Tyers as I wear them out, I don't want this Cr?? of having to program in every wheel I fit and use on my car.
Also the only reason why the full size spare wheel was Axed , is for car manufacturers to Cheat New Emissions Regulations by reducing the extra weight and engine effort emissions to hump the spare wheel around. but even then it wasn't good enough so they installed Emission Cheat Software in the cars Brain , until it got exposed all over the world.
So if I can switch off the TPMS and not fall foul of MOT's or the law as the vehicle has the Provision ? Could you let me know, and how you DEACTIVATE the TPMS.
Yours
Mark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can’t see why not. As long as the light on the dash isn’t on come mot time it shouldn’t be an issue
No I'm not a fan of TMPS,
some thing simple with less Expensive Electroic Wizardry that is bound to go wrong when the batteries run out or the brain goes wobbly, int not like a simple Morris Minor where you simply neen an adjustable Spanner , screwdriver and hammer.
But then technology is the future? Although I doo like Electric Windows despite the old Windows that closed fast with just 3 winds of the handle.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
From the MOT Testers Manual about TPMS:

Tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
The inspection of the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is for M1 vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012.
The TPMS warning lamp (see diagram 3) can operate in many ways depending on the vehicle type. You must only reject vehicles if it’s clear that the lamp indicates a system malfunction and not simply indicating that one or more of the tyre pressures is low.
Diagram 3. Example of a TPMS warning lamp

Reason for failure:
(h) Tyre pressure monitoring system malfunctioning or obviously not workingMajor

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
Having a spare without TPMS isn’t an issue , as you’ll only be using it until you get the original tyre fixed / replaced. From my experience of looking after a small fleet of vehicles with TPMS fitted it’s been very reliable & accurate across all makes & models we run.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having a spare without TPMS isn’t an issue , as you’ll only be using it until you get the original tyre fixed / replaced. From my experience of looking after a small fleet of vehicles with TPMS fitted it’s been very reliable & accurate across all makes & models we run.
I spose a normal rubber valve will doo the job , its a shame Thurow Nunn didn't give advice so I purchased a Non Refundable £71 sencer Valve ? That doesn't even come with the Tube Nut and fitting kit ?
It just plays on my mind that in 5 years when my car is 10 years old ? Some Backstreet car sales person won't just Deactivate TPMS to avoid paying for new sencers , reduce the clock mileage to 75,000 and program the Brain to Egnore the Intermittent Engine Managment light , and still sell her for £1,200 .
It would still be interesting to know if it can be Disabled.

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
I spose a normal rubber valve will doo the job , its a shame Thurow Nunn didn't give advice so I purchased a Non Refundable £71 sencer Valve ? That doesn't even come with the Tube Nut and fitting kit ?
It just plays on my mind that in 5 years when my car is 10 years old ? Some Backstreet car sales person won't just Deactivate TPMS to avoid paying for new sencers , reduce the clock mileage to 75,000 and program the Brain to Egnore the Intermittent Engine Managment light , and still sell her for £1,200 .
It would still be interesting to know if it can be Disabled.
All depends on the owner of your corsa by then , someone may fork out £200 for new sensors if the cars still worth spending on , if not it may well be scrapped.

Reactions: Boroboy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts