Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having valences fitted to my mini facelift omega b. In the valences there is a dip in the front and rear to drill through to get to the towing eye, the problem is it does not have the screw in type eye but the loop type. I do not want to permanently cover them over, I'm led to believe that the facelift omega has the screw in type. Can anyone provide a picture of it and how it's attached to the body to see if we can replicate it.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Facelift front is a fixed loop, not a screw in. IIRC there is a little pop off cover

Pretty sure the rear is permanently fixed too, never used mine as had towbar

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Facelift is screw in so I've been told by someone with one. Currently waiting for pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Facelift is screw in so I've been told by someone with one. Currently waiting for pictures.
They are wrong on the front

My 02 Facelift was definitely NOT screw in, if you do the obvious and google the owners manual it will confirm this

Estate also has fixed rear, saloon is screw in rear only

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy who says they are will be sending me pictures when it stops raining, I don't need to see where it screws in I need to know how it's attached to the body. The owners manual shows the rear on the saloon as a screw in type. I've attached a screenshot.

Attachments

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No matter what it's going to have to be made up anyway just trying to find something to go off

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi, my 2001 has screw in type. The towing eye is screwed into a tube located behind a small diameter removable plastic disc as a cover on bumper. Looking underneath the tube with the internal thread that the towing eye screws into is bolted or welded to a plate which in turn is welded to the end of the Box Section. ie the end cover plate to box section has the tube fixed to it. Trust this makes sense and apologies for taking so long to look underneath.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information, could I be a cheeky swine and ask if you could upload a pic or two please

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi that is not a cheeky request, I must confess I have no idea how to transfer photos into the Forum. What I can do assuming I have a towing eye I can measure the thread pitch and diam, from which I should be able to work out what its size is, If that helps. Your problem then will be finding or machining a suitable piece of pipe you can Tap out to that size and obtain a towing eye to screw into it.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can find a thread and a towing eye I just don't know how we are going to fit it lol I'd like to see how the whole assembly fits to the body of the car. It's such a head fuck lol skirts are looking nice tho. You can upload pics from your phone by clicking upload file

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi,
I have just done some measurements on the Towing Eye. I think what I have found may present a problem that wont show on a photograph.
The Thread pitch is 3, assuming it is Metric which is 3mm between peaks. the outside Diam of this thread is about 15.7 mm for a thread of this Diam I would have expected 1.5 maybe 2. So If you are using the standard Vaux eye I would suspect it is a strange very coarse thread that you will struggle to get a tap for.
You say you have found a towing eye, is it the Vauxhall one have you found? If so I think you will need the matching tube it screws into because of this coarse thread. I don't wish to point you in the wrong direction as I am not an expert on metric threads so might be worth checking with someone with more experience.
Fixing the tube to a plate and welding the plate on the box section may be the easy part of this job.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply, the plan so far is to cut the existing loops off and try and weld a tube or box section to the body and source a towing eye and a matching bolt as the bolt can be welded to a plate with a hole in it and then to the end of tube or box section.

I'm not fussed about it being a vauxhall or GM part or size, I just want it to be useable as I want to use the car as a daily driver and I'd rather have access to tow or be towed if it was ever needed without having to tear the valences off.

It would just be nice to see how they have modified the design to have that type of towing eye.

Spent a long time doing it and put a lot of effort in I don't want to cut corners now.

Thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts