Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of towing a caravan with my 2.5 v6 cdx, its a w reg with 120000 miles, i know its powerfull enough but i was thinking of putting an extra oil cooler on it for the gearbox, (auto box), the reason for this is that some years ago i had a 2.9 auto granada & the gearbox allways ran hot when towing the caravan, has anyone got any thoughts on this, thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
towing

Hi Weely Good
I would'nt have thought you needed to fit an extra oil cooler, how heavy is your 'van?. I've just come back from Cornwall towing a Monza(750kg ULW) and mines an auto, no problems. It may be advisable to change your G/box filter and fluid but wiser heads than mine will no doubt confirm. Best of luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
oil cooler

i've been towing an abi transtar for a few months now cornwall & peak district same engine & gearbox no problems so far did think about putting an extra cooler but seems to run o.k. so not bothered.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The gearbox is cooled to some extent anyway, and i've seen literally hundereds of Meega's towing some very large caravans.

Also, my ol' man nipped into his local Caravan place, mentioned he was thinking about buying a 99 2.5 Elite, the bloke looked it up on the computer and said "that's the best towing car out there, the next best thing is a large 4x4!"

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi weely good I also owned a granny Which after advice I fitted a transmittion fluid cooler to because I tow a rather large boat.I asked the same question as you on here when I got my Meega and was advised that it did not need a additional cooler fitted,the car pulls the boat an absolute dream with no trouble:Cool2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.