Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought an Insignia estate and need to fit a tow bar. A friend of mine has one from his old Zafira he's offered me. How can I check the compatibility of this with my car? Do they tend to use the same fixings or are they all vehicle specific? Grateful for any pointers.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Need to be very careful when getting towbars attached, taking into account the rating of your vehicle and the rating of the towbar in question.

Worth going down the genuine part's route for this one, there really isn't a safe and cheap option with a towbar anymore I'm afraid.

Pete

·
Team Tommy Tank!
4,415 Posts
Get a genuine one fitted--think they are Witter make--certainly would not fit a secondhand one under any circumstance's i'm afraid---Dave
Just out of interest, why would you avoid second hand?

I've got a second hand Thule detachable on mine and it's great.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Only reason i have for saying that is a few years ago i had a secondhand one fitted to my Freelander--told it was all in good condition and i only towed a car trailer with it and if it wasn't for the safety chain keeping the trailer on the freelander i would of lost the trailer and would of caused a serious accident--the welding had broke away from the towing eye plate and the trailer dropped onto the road-as i say the safety chain saved the day--the towbar when fitted was all painted up and looked in good condition--not sure what make it was but when it failed i filled me pants i can tell you--had a new one fitted at an Indepension garage who fit towbars and it was fine after that--the metal on the first towbar that failed was made of poor steel according to the garage who fitted the new one--thats my reason for saying put a new one on or one that you know is a good make-----Dave

·
Team Tommy Tank!
4,415 Posts
Only reason i have for saying that is a few years ago i had a secondhand one fitted to my Freelander--told it was all in good condition and i only towed a car trailer with it and if it wasn't for the safety chain keeping the trailer on the freelander i would of lost the trailer and would of caused a serious accident--the welding had broke away from the towing eye plate and the trailer dropped onto the road-as i say the safety chain saved the day--the towbar when fitted was all painted up and looked in good condition--not sure what make it was but when it failed i filled me pants i can tell you--had a new one fitted at an Indepension garage who fit towbars and it was fine after that--the metal on the first towbar that failed was made of poor steel according to the garage who fitted the new one--thats my reason for saying put a new one on or one that you know is a good make-----Dave
Ah yes, definitely agree with that then.

Hence I bought a good used Thule rather than Chinese :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.