Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I am going in to have a tooth cut out tomorrow so might not look at this for a few days but thank you for your help so far.

I know where that earth point is, I'll clean it up. Fairly sure when I tested terminal 86 to ground it was open circuit.

Reactions: andy_v

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Looking at the diagram it shows the clutch switch is sharing that earth point and the switch is working because it disengages the cruise control as it should so that narrows it down to a possible break between where the clutch earth point joins the earth wire that then runs up to 86.

Reactions: andy_v and TTT

·
Registered
379 Posts
Maybe yes maybe not. Same as voltmeter have high impedance input, maybe that clutch switch processing unit does not need much current flow. So a bad earth point could theoretical carry sufficient current for data processing but maybe not enough for a relay coil. But I think we nailed it. Take care.

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well that's two of us in disguise then, I'm on Corsa C too, but not as Koi.

Reactions: TTT and andy_v

·
Registered
379 Posts
Don’t have time for that one anymore. I have to make choices. Plus my corsa c is sold some time ago.

Before anything else, bring a ground wire to the relay 86 and check if car starts ok. This warrants further dig out.

·
Super Moderator
17,028 Posts
Don’t have time for that one anymore. I have to make choices. Plus my corsa c is sold some time ago.

its dead on there anyway mate, i try to get them to come over here......... have ya still got the tigra

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've been having issues with our Touran for a while starting because it is sat nearly all the time with just the odd short trip. So I've been putting the battery charger on now and again and it's been fine.
However, a few weeks back I took the dog to the vets which is a round trip of near 50 miles. The next day it wouldn't start but the battery was fully charged. Stuck the charger on later and it fired up fine a few hours later.

So now to the present situation, the car will not start. Turn the key and the dash comes on as normal but nothing when you turn the key to activate the starter. The battery has good charge and no headlight dimming when turning the key.

So tonight I took the air box out to see if I am getting ignition voltage to the starter solenoid and I am not! I am only getting 4.5V with the key held in the start posit. I'm testing with the feed wire unplugged and would expect batter voltage. I'm testing using a paper clip as a probe.

View attachment 98915

So then I've checked the engine bay fuse box and with the ignition on I have battery voltage at each side of all the fuses.

View attachment 98916

I then checked each of the fuseable links on the front of that box and they are all good.

View attachment 98917

Took the black relay out and checked that and I have resistance between the two small pins. If I put 12V across those pins I get continuity across the two large pins.

So I check the dash fuse box and find a 5 amp blown fuse. The owners manual is fairly useless and does not give a fuse listing, other than a few other fuses. According to the diagram it is fuse 44 but I don't know what it is for.

View attachment 98918

Anyway I replaced it and with the ignition on or off I do not have battery voltage either side of that fuse. Every other fuse has been checked and has battery voltage each side of every fuse with the ignition on.

View attachment 98919

View attachment 98920

So firstly can anyone tell me what that fuse is for please?

Secondly I suppose the next obvious thing to try is to put a feed to the starter solenoid direct from the battery to see if the starter turns?

Some additional information just before it died the information screen threw up a few spurious messages. One of which was for low brake pads, but the sensors are bypassed so I know that's false. I have a feeling it is a bad joint or high resistance somewhere, which might have thrown the error messages.

If the starter turns when I "hot wire" it where do I go next?

Car's been out of use for a few weeks waiting for good enough weather to be able to have a crack at it and I need it back on the road.
I had similar problem last year with mine and it was a bad earth strap. I would definitely try it.

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Update.
It's not the relay.
I pulled another relay out and used that to test the circuit and it didn't energise.
So released the relay from the carrier and put a test earth in the back and it starts.

Since @TTT helpfully put up the circuit diagram of the relay wiring we know it only shares an earth with the clutch switch so I can either just add an additional earth or try and locate the earth point.

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
It's one of thes
And the ground location for 655. Load test the wire up to the relay.

View attachment 99020
Looks like 655 is the middle one then.

This one. (The thick brown one).

May as well give them all a clean up.

Attachments

Reactions: TTT

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I was expecting a much thinner wire though. :unsure:

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Definitely needs a bit of attention.

Reactions: Alan G H

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Annoyingly the earth point nearest the front of the car sheared off so I have had to drill a hole on one of the support brackets for the slam panel and bolt the wires on there.

With a slave earth from the relay to the dash panel it starts really well now and been out in it tonight. But it is still throwing up a brake pad warning ⚠ even though there are no sensors.

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Had loads of error codes but managed to clear most of them now. The rear inside lights still stay on all the time the engine is running but oddly I'm not getting the check exhaust system errors which were due to 4 burnt out glow plugs anymore. I've not done anything to them so need to check I've still got a live feed coming to the glow plugs in case that has failed.

Just got to get rid of the pad warning light somehow before the MoT and can have more investigation when I am on leave next.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just a thought, but it might be worth visiting a VAG forum of some sort to see if you can get access to proper VAG.com diagnostics. Might be something you can't read, and often members are willing to help. For example, I know of a Peugeot forum that has a map of members with Peugeot Planet diag.

·
15,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Looks like that might be the best way forward now. I've got it starting but the wiring diagrams are very difficult to follow compared to the Vauxhall TIS ones.

Well I done 35 miles tonight on the motorway and it has dropped into limp mode, had to keep changing down from 6th gear to 5th just to maintain 50mph.

I think I might have found something, got to check it out tomorrow. If I'm right it might explain a lot of the issues.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts