Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The BKC4 diagram shows the Type 1 fuse box 馃摝 everything on the car is the Type 2 so on ours there is just a single relay in the under bonnet fuse box.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

Registered
That鈥檚 all I got for vehicles to 2006. After 2006 I see indeed another type fuse box, with one relay in the middle, called k1.1 main relay.
Then there is a relay carrier left behind a cover in dashboard, with relay k1.65 terminal 15, k1.114 relay terminal 30(?). And 2 more relay boxes but can鈥檛 find a start relay?

Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The start relay is on the relay carrier board in my photos, that sits behind the dash and up above the other relay board and the dash fuse box.
Wonder if the car has the later wiring and perhaps the diagrams for post 2006 would match?

Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Appreciate that.
Will have a quick look again tonight.

Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Progress. (y)

It's not the starter motor.
Bridged the 433 relay and it cranked and started up almost instantly, better than it's done for ages.

With the relay removed I have 1.6V at terminal 85.
When I turn the ignition on that rises to 11.6V and when I hold the key to the start position it rises to 12.5V.

Now the odd thing is that if I measure the voltage at terminal 85 with the engine running it stays at 12.5V. The voltage at pin 30 which is feeding the relay is 12.5V with the ignition on but that rises to 14.2V as soon as the engine starts.
So I have an ignition controlled feed to the relay coil that is not doing what is supposed to do.

Registered
I don鈥檛 believe in voltmeter measurement. Have you loaded the circuit with small test light to see if it holds the voltage? Oem 25gb downloaded and it is installing for like an h now.

Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't think it is the relay, I think there is a supply issue to the relay which is preventing it from switching the feed to the starter solenoid. I could be wrong though so next thing to do is to try and feed battery voltage direct to pin 85 with the relay in place, if it works then it has to be a wiring issue. If it makes no difference it is the relay.

So the key has to be finding where the feed to terminal 85 comes from because I shouldn't be getting nearly battery voltage there with the ignition on, only when the key is held in the start position.

Everything else, as far as I can tell is working as it should.

Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Off to see if I can find my 21W test light.

Registered
Ok, oem diagrams up and running. Much much better. Slow down with testing to have some time to make print screens and dig through this. 1st time for me also.

Registered
So, this is how it looks like oem. I would measure this wire from the smart fuse box up to relay pin 85. If ok, I'm afraid its something in that smart supply box. It warrants an removal and visual inspection for (water) damage. Start from J682 is the start relay.

Attachments

Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The multimeter is throwing red herrings at me. Test with a 21W bulb and not a flicker with ignition on, but the bulb lights nice and bright with the key held in the start position. So the voltage with ignition on is a phantom 馃懟 feed only.

Registered
So you say that the voltage up to the relay terminal 85 is good when cranking. Very good. Then probably its time to chase the ground wire to relay coil?

Discussion Starter · #36 ·
21w is a bit on the high side. No simple test light?
I found my test light but it was smashed in the draw where some careless person had put something heavy on it. Oops 馃槵.

Only other tester I have uses LED bulbs so no good for load testing. Going to solder some leads onto a side light bulb I have. 馃挕

Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'll look 馃憖 at the diagrams you sent on my tablet, I can't see them on my phone which annoyingly is running them as a slide show.

If its as simple as being an earth fault I will be well pleased. Calling it a night now anyway, at least I can start it.

What package are you using for the diagrams?

Registered
If you wanna know, not on this forum. I could install it for you provided you download the files.

Ground wire has 2 splits and one body connection. You see where this is going?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts