Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
That wire is now repaired after cutting out the damaged section.

Had a productive day outside in the damp and soggy Welsh weather and no longer have the MIL illuminated and no fault codes in the ECU.

Took the toy battery off that was only there to keep the central locking working and put the original battery back on. Wouldn't start of course because that battery is fubared, but started 2nd turn of the key when jump started off my Meriva. Not putting the brand new battery on until I'm fully happy with it.

But I now know why the airbag switch has that spring loaded piece - it is a presence detection mechanism. I didn't plug the switch back in because I had sealed the wires with liquid tape that was still drying. If you don't plug the switch in the airbag light on the instruments is illumination and the passenger airbag light flashes continually.

But I have new problems 🙃. The ABS, EPS and steering warning lights are all now on, which is normal after the battery has been disconnected. Normally if you drive it a few hundred metres they go out but I've been up and down the road a few times and then took it for a run of about a mile. The lights are still on and the steering is not fully assisted. Couldn't go much further because it started raining and the wiper motor is in the boot!

I hadn't closed the bonnet completely and have a feeling that needs to be closed in order for the steering to self calibrate, which will then put the other lights off, sure I got caught out like that before.

Even though the ECU now has no fault codes there are loads in other modules, including the phantom auxiliary heater which the car doesn't have!

Stick VAGCom on it tomorrow and disable the brake pad warning ⚠ and see if I can clear any of the other faults down.

Progress is painfully slow, but it starts and runs now, so I'm optimistic the end is getting slightly nearer.

Reactions: Nesss

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Normally it just takes care of it in a short drive.
Going to close the bonnet tight tomorrow and then drive it.
I have a feeling that will sort it.
I've done a few 3 point turns at the end of the road already lock to lock.
Plug the airbag switch back in and the wiring plug that I think is part of the heating system tomorrow too so it's all back as it was when it was working.

Might even be able to start putting the glovebox and panels back in soon so it doesn't look like I've stolen it.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,778 Posts
Had once went to a corsa non start, I usually work with gloves as I have no option to wash hands in the street. Police came on us me and the car owner, sharp neighbourhoods here, my middle finger to them.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Ratdate.

Look what I've done.

Speedometer Car Odometer Tachometer Trip computer

All warning lights off. :)

I coded the brake pad warning light out so that has gone.

I plugged in my VAGCom unit and it threw up a few codes that my dedicated VAG hand held scanner missed.

Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Telephone

This is what I started with today:

Blue Font Display device Multimedia Parallel

After clearing loads of faults down I am left with this:

World Font Technology Parallel Rectangle

The Central Electrics module is throwing a fault for the driver's side wiper motor which I think is because the passenger side motor is in the boot. I think the module must communicate with the driver's side motor which then controls the passenger side motor. When it fails to get a response it throws the fault. I should have plugged it in to see if my theory is correct, but I didn't think of it then.

The only other faults are in the phantom Auxiliary Heater module so I'll have to do some more research to sort that, or just ignore them. 🤔

I plugged the airbag switch back in, plugged what I think is a heater sensor in and made sure the bonnet was shut, then took it down the road. After about 200 metres the ABS and ESP (traction control) lights went off, leaving the steering wheel light still illuminated with only partial power assistance. Did try the full lock to lock thing a few times but it made no difference, but on the return from the end of the road the warning light went off and full power assistance was restored 😀.

It appears on the Touran there is a steering wheel module and also a separate steering assist module.

Blue Material property Font Tints and shades Electronic device

My hand held unit doesn't see the steering assist one at all and VCDS was reporting an "end stop limit not set" error, but reporting "calibration OK". Either way it has sorted itself out and even restarted off the key on its own after I shut it off.

Then believe it or not it pops a message up on the info screen "service now", straight after I had shut the laptop down.

Attachments

Reactions: Nesss and andyl

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Next thing is to find where I have put my cloth loom tape so I can re-bind the loom where I have opened it up, repair the mesh where Roland got in and then start putting everything back under the bonnet that I had to remove. Refit all the interior panels and it's more or less ready for an MoT.
Only thing to do then is to take the driver's side wheel off and remove the arch liner to see why the washers stopped working. The motor is running, so I am expecting to see the tubing has been nibbled through and possibly even a 🐀 rat's nest where Roland has been travelling along with us.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I might have an auxiliary heater after all :unsure:

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

I've also found out that you can't clear faults from it because it is locked and it needs a coding change to unlock it. If it really is there it would explain why the car has always warmed up so quickly.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Can't believe we have had the Touran from 8 months old and never knew it has an auxiliary heater. I now know what the smoke is from when I start it up. I was blaming the valve stem seals.

This is where it lives:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

And this is what it looks like:

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design Machine

Well every day is a school day.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,778 Posts
I was about to say that its impossible for a module to talk on bus without it being installed. But I didn't want the Devil to come here and tell me I talk when I don't know.
I think unit needs dismantling and a good chamber cleaning.

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,930 Posts
I was about to say that its impossible for a module to talk on bus without it being installed. But I didn't want the Devil to come here and tell me I talk when I don't know.
I think unit needs dismantling and a good chamber cleaning.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
First thing to do is unlock it because currently its locked due to the low voltage codes caused when Roland Rat 🐀 ate the wiring. I can sort that with VCDS.

Ordered some cloth loom tape so I can rebind the loom and have been waiting for a while for it to come with other items from China 🇨🇳.
Came down the girlfriend's place last night to find 2 rolls of loom tape on the table for me from the Sumimoto factory up the road (ask no questions 😀). She used to work there years ago making wiring looms for Vauxhall and called in a favour to get the tape, which is much better than the roll I ordered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That wire is now repaired after cutting out the damaged section.

Had a productive day outside in the damp and soggy Welsh weather and no longer have the MIL illuminated and no fault codes in the ECU.

Why was your mother in law no longer illuminated? 🤷‍♀️🙈🤣🤔🤭

Took the toy battery off that was only there to keep the central locking working and put the original battery back on. Wouldn't start of course because that battery is fubared, but started 2nd turn of the key when jump started off my Meriva. Not putting the brand new battery on until I'm fully happy with it.

But I now know why the airbag switch has that spring loaded piece - it is a presence detection mechanism. I didn't plug the switch back in because I had sealed the wires with liquid tape that was still drying. If you don't plug the switch in the airbag light on the instruments is illumination and the passenger airbag light flashes continually.

But I have new problems 🙃. The ABS, EPS and steering warning lights are all now on, which is normal after the battery has been disconnected. Normally if you drive it a few hundred metres they go out but I've been up and down the road a few times and then took it for a run of about a mile. The lights are still on and the steering is not fully assisted. Couldn't go much further because it started raining and the wiper motor is in the boot!

I hadn't closed the bonnet completely and have a feeling that needs to be closed in order for the steering to self calibrate, which will then put the other lights off, sure I got caught out like that before.

Even though the ECU now has no fault codes there are loads in other modules, including the phantom auxiliary heater which the car doesn't have!

Stick VAGCom on it tomorrow and disable the brake pad warning ⚠ and see if I can clear any of the other faults down.

Progress is painfully slow, but it starts and runs now, so I'm optimistic the end is getting slightly nearer.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Should have started a YouTube channel for this, judging by the number of times it has been read :geek:

Day off today to put it all back together turning this:

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire White Hood Motor vehicle

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

back into this:

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design

But before that had to put jump leads on it so I could open it and drop the windows to dry some of the damp out.

Hood Product Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Attachments

Reactions: TTT

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Repaired the air intake grill for the heater where Roland Rat ate his way in, usung a thing for cooking oven chips on which cost me all of 79p!

Successfully unlocked the auxiliary heater and there are no fault codes showing in there now.

Wood Font Rectangle Gas Circle

Rebound all the wiring loom sections that I had repaired and got the wiper motor back into place. So made a lot more progress than I expected to, but I have a problem 😅 😕.

I've misplaced the scuttle panel that sits in front of the windscreen. It's not where I thought I had put it so a bit puzzled now. By the time I realised I didn't put it where I thought I had the temperature was dropping quickly so a good time to call it a day.

One thing I will say, the Touran is certainly well put together, with lots of clips and locating pegs on all the panels, that are a challenge to line up.

Got another day off in about 2 weeks so hopefully by then I will have tracked down the elusive scuttle panel.

Reactions: TTT and Nesss

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Found it!

Reactions: Nesss and Alan G H

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I had put the scuttle panel "safe" and then made sure it was extra safe by putting the carpet that I use under the car on top of it. Of course by putting it "safe" I also made it invisible!

I remember it was incredibly difficult to get off so I will see if it will go in easier with the metal bulkhead panel just sitting there loosely before I tighten that back up. You need fingers like ET to get at the 3 lower bolts and it's all done by feel.

Trouble is the weather is not looking great for the next week so don't know when the next episode of this adventure will be.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Day off today so the scuttle is all refitted properly, clipping it into the groove at the base of the windscreen. Bulkhead all bolted back properly and new battery in and currently undergoing a conditioning charge.
Air box assembly in and just wiper arms to refit, just hope they don't need reprogramming so going to put just one back first.
Should be alive again later thus afternoon, which is more than I can say about my feet 🤔 which are frozen with the cold 🥶 and the wind chill.
Then all being well I can see about getting an MoT for it.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Like everything in life you learn from it and it keeps me out of trouble 💯 😌

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Wiper arms back on and playing nicely with each other.
Did have a glitch when I took it for a quick run down the road with the ABS, ESP and handbrake light all flashing. Not had that one before. Cleared all the codes that would go but they were flashing
Turned the engine off and restarted it and it seems to have sorted itself out.

Forgot I've still got to sort the front washers out, the motor is working but water just pours out in front of the driver's wheel. Either the pipe has come off the pump, which is unlikely because they are clipped into place, or more likely the pipe has broken. Everything else seems to be working.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts