Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt a rat. The carcass of one is all but rotted away under the scuttle.

Liquid Water Fluid Electric blue Astronomical object

Liquid Flash photography Water Astronomical object Electric blue

Managed to get quite a bit of the remnants out but more to get out when I can either get the scuttle off or my flexi grab tool in there.

Luckily the wiring I can see that end is intact, which I think is going to the wiper motor.

Hood Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Automotive tire

Reactions: Nesss

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
He pongs a bit now I've disturbed it. :poop:

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I've liberated Roland 🐀 after removing the scuttle panel and the bulkhead panel.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Wheel

Not a lot left, but his tail is remarkably intact.

Water Wood Organism Twig Trunk

Little swine had been chewing the foam from around the wiring harness to make its nest.

Automotive tire Grey Font Engineering Tread

Loads of damaged wiring.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Glove Human leg

I can now see how he got into the heater air intake box - there is not supposed to be a big hole through it.

Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle Bumper

Got the wiper motor undone, just can't get it unplugged, it's stuck solid even though I've lifted the latch. Once that's out I can get in there and start the repairs.

Attachments

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Wiper motor removed and all hoovered out to get rid of all the dead and decaying leaves and the remnants of Roland's foam nest. Will have to wash the area where he died down because it is a bit pongy now I disturbed things.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
The damaged section of loom luckily can be moved forward into the engine bay now I have the wiper motor removed.

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car

There is damage both sides of the grommet.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

I'm hoping there are not multiple wires of the same colour because I'm colour blind and telling stuff apart is bad enough without added complications. 😉

Progress is being made now but can't do much till I get another weekend to myself and I have a romantic week away coming up next weekend.

More Roland updates soon

Reactions: Alan G H and TTT

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
The damaged section of loom luckiley can be moved forward into the engine bay now I have the wiper motor removed.

View attachment 101075

There is damage both sides of the grommet.

View attachment 101076

I'm hoping there are not multiple wires of the same colour because I'm colour blind and telling stuff apart is bad enough without added complications. 😉

Progress is being made now but can't do much till I get another weekend to myself and I have a romantic week away coming up next weekend.

More Roland updates soon
Roland was certainly a busy little devil, wasn't he!
Good luck with sorting it all out. Lots of patience needed I think.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Patience I have loads of, it is time to tackle it that is always in short supply.
I am hoping that one of the wires is the missing earth from the ignition system, another is going to be the signal wire to the MAP sensor, one should be the feed to the starter solenoid and at least another one should be connected to the alarm system and one more will be the brake pad warning system.

I've covered the car up this morning to keep the rain out of the engine bay. On the Touran the scuttle plastics clip into a groove at the bottom of the windscreen, effectively preventing water from getting into Roland's play ground. With it removed water will just run in there and could get into the heater box

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
Well unusually I have a weekend to myself to have been back out to tackle the rat mobile. 🐀
Battery and battery tray out along with the air box.

Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

So now I have access to the damaged part of the loom.

Hood Working animal Electrical wiring Electric blue Wire

Hood Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Gas

Three broken wires and two damaged wires, which is good because I have 3 things not working. I'm fairly sure the MAP sensor reference wire is one of those, one of the others should be the brake pad sensor and the third should be the starter solenoid trigger wire.

Got to get the loom unwrapped a bit more at the bottom to get enough wire to solder my repair pieces in.
Then some more damaged wiring to cover in liquid tape inside the cabin on the airbag wiring.
Still thankful that it could have been a whole lot worse.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Can't see at the moment what is holding the thick part of the loom to that silver bracket so might have to release that bracket to give me the movement I need.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
More updates as I make some progress. With over 3,000 views of this thread it seems there is quite a bit of interest in my battle against Roland and his mates.

Reactions: Nesss

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
That silver bracket was held in by 3 long M8 bolts, with one hidden up underneath the scuttle. Typical German over engineering because all it does is hold the loom in two places and 2 vacuum pipes at the other end.

Did try and release the loom clips but they are meant to go in and stay in so I had to force them out in the end.

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Three wires repaired and reconnected with heatshrink to protect the joins.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

I've got an old wiring loom in the garage which is ideal for jobs like this. As usual I couldn't find it because someone has piled a load of stuff in the way so I've improvised with what I could find.

The pegs are keeping the wires apart where I have covered the damaged wires with liquid tape. Put a good coating on but when I get some spare time I will give them a second coat for extra protection before binding the loom back up with new cloth loom tape.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Quick update.
The repairs have made no difference to the starting, it still needs the additional earth lead I added in behind the starter solenoid.
So it looks like there may be further undiscovered damage somewhere 🤔.
I was really hoping that was all the broken wires.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
It's alive!
Jump started it off my Meriva and it fired up second turn of the key and sounds quite good, even though the MAF was unplugged. To be more accurate the MAF was on the back, passenger seat! Anyway I thought I may as well slide the airbox back into the intake pipe to prevent anything nasty being inhaled by the engine and plugged the MAF back in.
I'm pleased to see the MAP sensor is now reading correctly, along with the IAT.
Not so happy that the brake pad warning light is still on though. I'm thinking there must be damage to the section of the wiring in the wing above the wheel arch liner. I think that was Roland's entry point. Anyway, since the pad sensors do nothing any more on this car I'm going to disable them, but more on that later.

So going through all the modules with VCDS I've cleared loads of fault codes out but bizarrely the auxiliary heater has loads that won't go.

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number

Textile Sleeve Grey Font Material property

Well, that's because the car doesn't have an auxiliary heater! No idea why it is able to connect to something that isn't there, show me the fault codes but then deny me access to clear them. No matter, I can live with a faulty non-existent auxiliary heater.

Got a few issues to clear out, the steering angle sensor and ESP system need to self calibrate, which usually happens within about 50m of driving it. But can't drive it because the temporary battery is balancing on top of a stack of bricks, which in turn are sat on top of the gear selection mechanism.

The one that has me puzzled is this, which wasn't showing up before.

Font Rectangle Parallel Personal computer Screenshot

I have no idea what the electric load controller is?

Going back to the pad wear warning this is the current coding:

Font Gas Parallel Pattern Electric blue

Looking at the coding options I think if I change the 3 to a 2 it should code out the pad wear option. 🤔 I think 🤔 maybe 🤔?

Font Parallel Technology Pattern Personal computer

Anyone able to clarify that?

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Some clarity has emerged out of the mist. The load controller doesn't exist as such, it is merely telling me that fault codes are logged in other modules. One of those codes relates to the driver side wiper motor, which has a communication error. 🤔 That is because it is trying to talk to the passenger side motor, which of course it can't do because that motor is in the boot! So not too worried about the load controller errors at the moment.

Figured out the brake pad warning coding, I just have to reduce the correct part of the coding by 1 and it will disable that system.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Found more damaged wiring.

Cable Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Close-up

Fortunately it is only the insulation so some liquid tape will sort that. I don't even know what that bit of the loom is for but think it's part of the A/C because it plugs into a box attached to the heater ducting. 🤔

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
But now I am stuck because I need to repair damaged wiring going to the switch that allows you to disable the passenger airbag.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Electric blue

Ideally I want to de-pin that wire from the plug and solder it before sliding heatshrink over it. But I can't get the pink locking bar out so I can release the pins.

Rectangle Yellow Creative arts Magenta Plastic

That is as far as the bar will slide and I don't want to force it. I've poked the ends of it.

Rectangle Wood Material property Wrist Electric blue

I've tried levering them sideways a bit but that doesn't help. When I look in the connector the bar looks crooked.

Purple Rectangle Gas Font Machine

Product Paint Yellow Font Line

I can't work out what is stopping it moving because it moves easily to the position shown but no further.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
The black plastic piece in the connector is spring loaded.

Automotive tire Gas Bumper Font Machine

I don't know what the purpose of the spring loaded part is but I've tried depressing it fully 🙃 and it makes no difference to the pink locking bar. I've tried prising the black piece out but there is nothing obvious to release to free it.

Anyone know how this plug is dismantled so I can de-pin the damaged wire?

Yellow Automotive tire Toy Gas Machine

And just to make clear the battery is disconnected when I'm working on that connector - the airbag going off would be a bad 👎 thing!

@andyl @TTT any ideas before I just cut the damage out and solder a section in

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,778 Posts
Cut and solder, no point to waste time with the plug. Some locking plastics do not come out fully in order to unlock, not sure about that one.

·
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I think I agree that's the best option before I break something.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts