Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Socket set, screwdrivers and a means of lifting the engine...

Pair of axle stands and a trolley jack wouldn't go amiss either.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
No specific male or female torques bits?
:think Never worked on an SEH, so couldn't tell you...

Get a Pro Kit mate, I'm still trying to find something I can't undo or tighten with mine! :bananasmi

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That'll be my christmas pressie mate. Gotta watch the bills at the moment and keep the old Sports Klaxon Wagon running, plus still trying to get myself debt free again, so paying it all off quicker to avoid the interest.

We're using a local garage at the moment as grounds for our project, so can just borrow what tools we need from there.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
flat screwdriver, 19mm spanners/sockets (S/S), various extension bars, a breaker bar if you're a bit girly, 15mm S/S, 11mm spanner, 10mm S/S, 13mm S/S, pliers, stanley knife, rag.
if you want the 'box aswell;
a bar, balljoint splitter, big socket (cant remember driveshaft size but its a big 'un).
also you'll want something to drain stuff into and a hoist unless you're feeling big.
if you want the subframe aswell add a 16mm S/S (iirc).

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the ECU out, but will need the loom.

The whole engine and box will be going into a 1.6 Cavalier 'Super-Shed' style. Will I need the subframe?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
sholdnt need the subframe to be honest, depends on how brave your feeling..

although, leave the wheels on and you could wheel it under the new cav :p

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Wiring can be pulled through into the engine compartment just by unplugging it behind the dashboard and out it comes...can just undo the subframe and lift the car over the engine leaving it sitting on the subframe...advantage being that you can use the subframe to drag the engine around...or simply just bolt the subframe straight onto its new donor plug everything in and away you go...

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
:think Never worked on an SEH, so couldn't tell you...

Get a Pro Kit mate, I'm still trying to find something I can't undo or tighten with mine! :bananasmi
I'd agree with that. Ripped out a V6 engine using a Halfords Pro 150 piece kit. The same kit that Trish won at the 1st year party incidentally!

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Its 30mm (Drive shaft nuts)
i couldnt remember if it was 30mm or 37mm (but that'll be peugeot diesels -i knew it was one or the other).

Got the ECU out, but will need the loom.

The whole engine and box will be going into a 1.6 Cavalier 'Super-Shed' style. Will I need the subframe?
if you're doing a conversion its easier to leave the lot on the subframe. undo strut top mounts, gear linkeage, matrix hoses, fuel lines, throttle and clutch cables, servo vaccuum pipe, abs sensor wires (if its got it), brake pipes, pull through the ecu loom and unplug the round multi plug up the front, exhaust, rad pipes, the mounts from the body then drop the lot. that way you swap the suspension, brakes, engine, 'box, shafts, etc etc all at the same time. saves on splitting ball joints and doing more jobs than you need to. also, hal pro kits are great but you only get a short reach multi-sided 16mm so better to get a seperate hex one to make sure.:Cool2:

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
The garage will have everything you need mate.

As it's going straight into another car, I agree with Siraff, just remember the difference in brakes and suspension on the back too... will be easier if you do the LOT at the same time! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Dont disconnect the loom from the engine, disconnect it from the ecu and relays then pull it through with the grommet and sit it on top of the engine when you lift it out, it will just be a case of running it back through the hole, connecting the ecu and relays instead of the task of matching plugs and wiring etc.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers for the advice guys.

Si, won't be having the rear beam off the panther, it needs to be a rolling shell I'm affraid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts