Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok amoungst other things the Chavalier (as it has become known lol i have some really nice mates :rolleyes: ) will be undergoing some work under the bonnet.

I wanted a project car that i could build on and turn into a bit of a feature car. So i made my choice and as some of you have seen collected myself a nice 2.0 16V SRi Ecotec MK3 Cav.

Thing is the engine bay will be having a bit of a kit out.

Plans start at yoinking the lump out and majorly overhauling it. The question is as i pulling it out wouls i be best to drop a red top back in?

For the purposes of tuning is the red top any better?
I am happy with the power delivery of the Ecotec and (sorry a bit off willy waving here :O ) she keeps my mates 150 TDi Leon Cupra well in sight and i actually pull on it past 100 (lightyears a second of course ;) )

Engine bay will be kitted out with lots of shiny chrome bits but i dont see the piont of having a car with show and no go. So engine tuning etc will be required.

I have checked various reputable tuning sites for parts and idea (Regal and Coutrnay amoung others) and both engines seem to have parts readily available for them and both with similar power gains. The chrome bits are readily available for the red top but seem to be less so for the ecotec although i have no problem with paying out to get certain bits made custom making the car more special perhaps!! So before i go decideing what parts from where i want which engine should i choose?

NB/FOOT NOTEY TYPE THING - For those of you who are worried about it actually becoming a chavalier fear not my friends i promise you i am anything but a member of the burberry brigade. My recent run in with a "cruise" Got me odd looks when i turned up listening Placebo :lmao:

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
all depends on power. thing is when you change the engine you go into the world of mods, and as of experience finding insurance to a engine conversion can be expensive and difficult. the eco is a very good engine and i think 170bhp is a realistic goal with that engine, consider tb's and cams, sort of induction and exhaust. there are prob chips out there for it. have the head ported on polished.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surley 170BHP should be easy to obtain with the relevant funding. The book power is 136 but i have seen several roll in at 140+ in standard form.

I was thinking of going down the route you listed above.

Cams, Remap, Exhaust (full system manifold and decat) Head reworked. Sorting some decent induction for it soon. Have a drilled box atm but it needs "blinging" Well the whole engine bay is going to be "pimped" but i dont want to do it bit by bit really engine out clean the whole engine bay and the engine and mjor overhaul and encorperate the parts at the same time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts