Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my cars been running like a bag of poo. Thot it was the knock sensor at first but checked the timing and the belt is on all three marks. but when using the strobe the marks on the cams and bottom pulley are no where near the marks, bottom pulley 90 degrees off, inlet 2 teeth behind and exhaust one tooth. tried moving th belt to these marks but it ran worse? could anybody help please? could it be something to do with the dizzy, ever since i fitted a complete whole unit (dizzy) its gone to fook.............

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Few things to check:

If it's a 16 valve - are the correct marks aligned - cams have 2 marks on each pully, one for the exhaust cam timing and one for the inlet cam timing.

Check the alignment of the crankshaft pully. The outer pully (the one for the alternator and powe steering) is in 2 parts. It is possible for the outer section of the pully to become mi-aligned as it's set onto an inner wheel with a rubber section in between. - with the belt on, set all the marks in alignment then remove the belt and the alternator crankshaft pully. There is a notch in the inner crankshaft (small) pully that should sit at the 6-O'clock position if all is right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its a 16 dude. Got both the cams lined up with there marks along with the outer pulley section mark, never knew there was one on the inner pulley. ill try checking that. Any rough ideas how much it would cost at a autovision? moving house just now so time isn't on my side :(

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
The timing needle for the crankshaft pulley can quite easily be bent to the wrong position.

You can check whether the crankshaft pulley is correctly indicating top-dead-centre;

Remove the spark plug from no.1 cylinder (the one nearest the cambelt) and put a piece of wood dowelling (or similar) through the spark plug hole to rest on top of the piston. (Clearly, you don't want to introduce any dirt into the cylinder if at all possible - clean wooden dowelling rod is ideal as it will also not scratch the top of the piston or any other part. Just ensure the rod is long enough; you don't want it falling into the cylinder!).

With the battery disconnected, you can turn the engine over by hand using a bar on the crankshaft pulley centre - the timing needle should line up with the notch on the crankshaft pulley when the no.1 piston is at the top of it's stroke.

This is easier if you have someone to watch the dowelling move up and down whilst you're turning the crankshaft!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will give that a crack too! we had the timing strobe on it with the thing that goes between the plug and lead. According to the strobe its well off, so shes sparking well before she should. we moved it to these marks and it barely ran with a funny sound (like valves hitting). would the new dizzy have anything to do with it, does it need setting up apart from setting the rotor arm to cylinder no.1 at tdc?
Its like the marks are fine belt end but its not sparking when it should?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Mine doesn't have a dissy, so not too sure...

On all the cars I've had that were fitted with a distributor, the rotor arm only fitted in the correct position - it was physically impossible to fit it any other way. Also, the cap should only fit one way.

Are the plug leads fitted in the correct order on the distributor cap? Clearly, if the order is wrong, this will lead to sparking at the wrong time!

Are you certain the distributor is correct for the engine?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah plugs are spot on dude.
on the dizzy side, i took the bosch number off the old one and it matches and it looks to be the same unit?
would it be worth taking it to a vauxhall dealership?
:cry:

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I wouldn't go near a Vauxhall dealer unless you've got endless patience and very deep pockets!

Might be worth considering a local garage though...

Why did you change the distributor in the first place - didn't sound like it was running too bad with the old one :think

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was great, but then it had problems starting and after investigating, the rotor arm and inside the dizzy cap were mangled.
After taking the dizzy unit off its self there was alot of play in it and i was told there should be none, so replaced it.........

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
It was great, but then it had problems starting and after investigating, the rotor arm and inside the dizzy cap were mangled.
After taking the dizzy unit off its self there was alot of play in it and i was told there should be none, so replaced it.........
Never known a diss unit to give up like that in short notice. Are you sure it wasn't just play in the Rotor arm. Double check you taking the timing from the correct lead aswell. Also if the T-belt has stretched (worn) or is out of adjustment that can throw the timeing out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh man this thing was proper goosed, my car always seems to do one off, out of this world things!
it was my mates dad who confirmed, he was a mechanic at vauxhall for 35 years, the dizzy was bad
The rotor arm was hardly there, the points in cap were not there and the cap was split, the spark was just goin where ever it could!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If the dissy and rotor were that bad I'd be looking at the HT leads and plugs next, when were they last replaced?

Time the engine on the timing marks, not on a strobe.

Yes, that funny knocking sound may well have been the valves hitting the pistons you may have done some serious damage there, worth doing a compression test before you go any further with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts