Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

Just a quickie I am looking at doing my timing belt for my 2007 Zaffy with Z16XEP now i'm lead to believe from people on here and videos I've seen on here that the belt ONLY is run from the Crankshaft Pulley to the Camshaft pulleys and NOT via the water pump which is driven by the aux belt.

Now thanks to my boss and other friends who claim to be good DIYer mechanics I've been 'scared' of doing this job myself due to the high nature of risk if I screw it up. I've been using my Zaffy as a bit of a project car and have attempted a number of the things which i wouldn't of normally done (blame lockdown, spare time and nice weather).

So I am wanting to of course look into and attempt this job on my own, I'm s competant engineer and know my way around engines. So here is how I'd go about the job, please shout if I've missed anything or if you have advice.

1. Disconnect Battery and jack and stand the front of the car up.
2. Remove driver side wheel and cover in wheel arch
3. Support the engine with jack and remove air filter box
4. Remove engine mount assembly and then belt cover
5. Manually rotate the engine aligning all the time marks
6. Lock the engine off (how can I do this without the tooling) or maybe etch markers in case it gets moved
7. Remove tensioner and idle pulley
8. Remove Belt
9. Refit belt, tensioner and idle pulley
10. Ressemble and test.

Additional

When I run my A/C system the engine revs DROP instead of increase. the car runs fine but I am suspecting my A/C compressor is starting to fail, any thoughts n what I can do to test etc, new compessors are out of my range plus a de-gas and re-gas.

I assume it's a case of removing the AUX belt and once the A/C has been de-gassed its a case of undoing the A/C lines and unbolting the unit from the mounts.

I'd appreciate any advice

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
My advice would be to buy the locking tools, when refitting the new belt the crank will move about, 1 tooth out and it will idle rough as,.. no real need to disconnect the battery unless it makes you feel happy, always use a block of wood between jack and sump when supporting the engine to distribute weight to prevent cracking the sump.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok wont bother battery disconnection. Yeah rather get the lockimg tool thinking i will do it after winter as ive no garage or space in works unit..... will be bloody cold. Does the rest sound right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Missed the wood out ha but was going to use one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
Yes but there are cheaper one's available and they are all the same kit from China.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it works fine when it's on and get nice ice cold patches on windscreen and condensates on a hot day etc...... Just I have to turn it off to reverse into my parking space on a hill

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
Sounds like the A/C clutch is not disengaging properly when the engine comes under load, does you car have a clutch switch fitted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok where do I look under the dash haha (I've never heard of the pressure switch and will try do love check and post tomo

·
13,673 Posts
The clutch pedal makes contact with it when not depressed.

But since you have an OpCom connect it up and look in measuring blocks to see if the switch output changes when you press the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm now.confused the AC clutch switch is up and downstream of the compressor why would the clutch pedal switch it can you be simple lol

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
The clutch pedal may or may not send a signal to the ecu to tell it the clutch is depressed, this may have a bearing on the A/C clutch disengaging, which in turn will help with engine torque when your trying to reverse, you said you had to switch the A/C off to reverse, so im trying to determine what scenario we are getting, if i have to explain why i ask questions this is going to take a loooong time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah no I understand now....... I turn it off so I don't have the rev the nuts off to reverse up a slight hill... I will try and show you this week :)

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
I dont need to see it i need to know if your car has a clutch switch and if it does that its working correctly,... please.......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok will get back to you hopefully.tomo willp at some.live.data up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts