Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just joined this to look for some info about tunning the good old vauxhall nova!!
Basically I'm a student at sheffield uni doing mechanical engineering and one of the projects im involved in is to do with prepping a nova rally car. The car is a 1.4 road rally car running a ported and polished head along with a kent cam and bigger carb. It also has a fully cage, bucket seats and belts, our hope one day is to build the car into a buisness and hire it out for stage rallying, but thats along way off yet....
Anyway my question is to do with engine tuning, we are thinking off upgrading to motorbike throttle bodies and running the car on the Megasquirt ECU, firstly has anyone done this before on a nova??
Ihave a fairly good understanding of megasquirt, but have a few more question about the ignition side of things. We would be wanting to convert the car to distributor less ignition and run it from a coil pack from the ECU, I'm familar with the EDIS system used on fords but is there an equivilant vauxhall system that is used on later cars that could be adapted??

If anyone can give me any advice or help I'd be very gratefull, this is my first post so I apologise for the length and number of questions!!

Cheers Chris

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
If running throttle bodies then megasquirt may proove difficult as it works off MAP so workss better with a single throttle butterfly.

As for the ignition, yes, Vaux have many DIS modules and ignition amps (i.e. the 1.2 Nova ignition amp) but, you moight as well use the EDIS as its proven with teh Megasquirt n spark system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marks DTM Calib said:
If running throttle bodies then megasquirt may proove difficult as it works off MAP so workss better with a single throttle butterfly.

As for the ignition, yes, Vaux have many DIS modules and ignition amps (i.e. the 1.2 Nova ignition amp) but, you moight as well use the EDIS as its proven with teh Megasquirt n spark system.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm fairly confident that the MAP will be alright as I can join vacum pipes from each of the throttle bodies together which I have seen to work quite well on quite a few cars.
The nova I have is 1 1400 on a B plate with the SOHC engine, was there ever DIS ignition used on this engine, as I would need a crank trigger wheel and CPS from something simliar to mount to this, any idea what engine I could get it from? I'd prefer also to keep with a GM DIS rather than EDIS just for simplicity

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On second thoughts I have decided to use the Ford EDIS system as I've found it can be adapted quite easily to these engines.
Therefore does anyone know If any engines similar to mine where fitted with fuel injection? As I will need a crank trigger wheel with CPS and coolant sensor, so would like to know which model to look for?

Cheers Chris

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Look around some of the Astra's, they used a toothed crank pulley for the crank sensor pickup. this might fit or could be adapted to fit.

As for cam position, you effectively already have it (distributor!) and its only really used to run the sequential injection...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Also I have realised I will need to alter the fuel system to run a high pressure pump for the injection. Is the fuel pump on a nova inside the tank or outside? And therefore is it neccesary to change the tank from a carbed one to an injection one which has a fuel return fitting?

Cheers Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts