Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 707 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it has more to do than just policing within America. Which involves the aftermath from Corona, loss of jobs, social injustices and people being sick of lock down.
Now there's some supporting demonstrations within London, let's hope they stay peaceful.

·
Premium Member
14,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some one is gonna blame/mention trump for it :ROFLMAO:
dont fancy been that copper that did it, been locked up, wonder how long he will survive.
Depends which jail he goes to:ROFLMAO:You were close enough, knee on the fellas neck from a police officer. Looks like he's going to jail too.
Someone will blame "trump", for it, I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Racism is a huge issue in America. The latest riots about a white police officer in Minneapolis kneeling on African American George Floyds neck while arresting him and who later died in custody are just that – the latest. It’s happened before so many times.

This particular incident also happened in the run-up to the 99th anniversary in of the Tulsa Race Massacre where a white mob burnt down more than 1,200 black-owned houses and murdered an estimated 300+ black Americans. What makes it particularly incendiary is that no one has ever been held responsible for it,
The Case for Reparations in Tulsa, Oklahoma | Human Rights Watch

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I don’t quite get why people are protesting in the UK about something that happened in America.

It seems to be a systemic problem in our society. America seems to have a very big problem with it, that’s not to say here in the UK it is much better, I’d say it’s much less extreme over here.

Racism seems to be a part of our “white” culture, but I don’t really fully understand why that is.

Why is the white old lady (just an example) more likely to be fearful of a black male than a white male? Somewhere along the road of growing up we have been taught that black people could be more dangerous.
If you look at black and white toddlers interacting with each other you can see the colour of their skin is of no consequence, so I’d say racism is learnt behaviour.

When I was at school, the fat kid, the kid with glasses, the black kid was made fun of, why is that? Is it that we don’t easily embrace difference?

And the trouble is it works both ways, the black kid is taught to be careful of white people as otherwise you could get yourself into trouble, so that sets up fear/racism from black to white people.

As a white male it is very difficult for me to understand exactly what a typical black person has to endure throughout their lives, I can only ever imagine, not actually feel it.

For example a black friend of mine was talking about job interviews, he said firstly your name is vetted, if it sounds to be non English it gets knocked down the list. His surname is brown so, he tends to pass that stage and get an interview, then he’ll get the comment you were not what we were expecting. He said as a black person you have be 3 times better than a white person to get the same job.

This shocked me that stuff like this still goes on.

Somehow we need to find a clean slate to erase these prejudices from all sides. Which obviously is much easier said than done.

·
Premium Member
14,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t quite get why people are protesting in the UK about something that happened in America.

It seems to be a systemic problem in our society. America seems to have a very big problem with it, that’s not to say here in the UK it is much better, I’d say it’s much less extreme over here.

Racism seems to be a part of our “white” culture, but I don’t really fully understand why that is.

Why is the white old lady (just an example) more likely to be fearful of a black male than a white male? Somewhere along the road of growing up we have been taught that black people could be more dangerous.
If you look at black and white toddlers interacting with each other you can see the colour of their skin is of no consequence, so I’d say racism is learnt behaviour.

When I was at school, the fat kid, the kid with glasses, the black kid was made fun of, why is that? Is it that we don’t easily embrace difference?

And the trouble is it works both ways, the black kid is taught to be careful of white people as otherwise you could get yourself into trouble, so that sets up fear/racism from black to white people.

As a white male it is very difficult for me to understand exactly what a typical black person has to endure throughout their lives, I can only ever imagine, not actually feel it.

For example a black friend of mine was talking about job interviews, he said firstly your name is vetted, if it sounds to be non English it gets knocked down the list. His surname is brown so, he tends to pass that stage and get an interview, then he’ll get the comment you were not what we were expecting. He said as a black person you have be 3 times better than a white person to get the same job.

This shocked me that stuff like this still goes on.

Somehow we need to find a clean slate to erase these prejudices from all sides. Which obviously is much easier said than done.
Generally speaking unless people look at racism on a whole as discrimination I doubt things will change for the better. Discrimination is discrimination whether it's against blacks, whites, gays or the disabled.
Obviously what has happened is wrong, it was a violent act against another human being, regardless of their colour.
Then you are going to see some people over react to the situation by causing criminal damage or looting from shops, again which is wrong.
Maybe a president that is prepared to reunite the country may help too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
In the states, the racism is rife, iv hear it myself when over visiting family, but what’s going on over there is beyond racism, it’s more hatred, from people wearing badges. It’s not just coloured that are protesting as seen on tv, it’s all parts of society, with exception of the upper classes.
In my view, Trump certainly didn’t help matters any by saying that when the looting starts, the guns come out, which is no way to calm any situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
running around the streets looting and setting fire to property is a great way to show we’re all equal.
I don’t believe for one single second that an employer in this country would actually say to a black person attending an interview ‘your not what we were expecting’.
I agree looting and setting fire to property is not going to do themselves any favours.

I'm only repeating what he said to me.
Maybe it was after they spoke to him on the phone, he's 6' 4" tall and well built, but his voice doesn't match his appearance!

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Generally speaking unless people look at racism on a whole as discrimination I doubt things will change for the better. Discrimination is discrimination whether it's against blacks, whites, gays or the disabled.
Obviously what has happened is wrong, it was a violent act against another human being, regardless of their colour.
Then you are going to see some people over react to the situation by causing criminal damage or looting from shops, again which is wrong.
Maybe a president that is prepared to reunite the country may help too.
Yes discrimination is a better word to use for it.
Yes is was very wrong, it seems pretty standard in America for the cops to be extra heavy handed with black people. I don't think this would have happened if the guy was white.

Yes violence in response to violence is never a good idea, it's not the best way to get "white" people on your side.

Well I think we can be pretty certain that Trump doesn't help the situation in America.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
I agree looting and setting fire to property is not going to do themselves any favours.

I'm only repeating what he said to me.
Maybe it was after they spoke to him on the phone, he's 6' 4" tall and well built, but his voice doesn't match his appearance!
but , initially , you blatantly inferred that the comment of ‘your not what we were expecting’ was due to the colour of his skin . thereby presuming that was how he passed it on to you.
maybe it would be pertinent to ask him, do you think they meant the sound of your voice or height or did you get the impression they were expecting a green person.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
but , initially , you blatantly inferred that the comment of ‘your not what we were expecting’ was due to the colour of his skin . thereby presuming that was how he passed it on to you.
maybe it would be pertinent to ask him, do you think they meant the sound of your voice or height or did you get the impression they were expecting a green person.
As I have already said I was just repeating what he said to me.
I don't know the exact reason why that was said to him.
I'll ask him his thoughts on it next time I see him.

I didn't blatantly infer anything, it's not down to me how you choose to interpret something!

Funny that you didn't comment on the names being vetted prior to interview part, I guess you know this sh1t happens and blatantly think it's acceptable!

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
As I have already said I was just repeating what he said to me.
I don't know the exact reason why that was said to him.
I'll ask him his thoughts on it next time I see him.

I didn't blatantly infer anything, it's not down to me how you choose to interpret something!

Funny that you didn't comment on the names being vetted prior to interview part, I guess you know this sh1t happens and blatantly think it's acceptable!
to be blatantly honest i didn’t believe a word of it, just picked out the silliest bits. while your on to your mate ask him if he could clarify what one person 3x better than the next person looks like .

1 - 20 of 707 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.