Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am 21 year old male with 1 year NCB soon 2 if get to 14 april without incident currently have a 1999 Honda Accord 2.0i ES saloon dont get me wrong reliable as hell and to drive a dream all my toys just needs bit more grunt

looked up reviews on the Omega 3.0i V6 Elite 98> and they have a good reputation for handling, power, toys and cheapness also looked on parkers at the spec list and its got just what im lookign for all same toys and leather + all seates heated and both front seats eletric not just driver's and with the extra grunt and CHEAP lot of car for money!
rang up my insurance and asked how much extra if anything a 1998 Omega 3.0i 24v Elite would be and they said 32 quid which is nothing bascially been lookign around and the manual one is hard as hell to find so found 1 possible but its auto

1998 S
63k miles
FSH
tax and MOT
£3000 ono

sound bout right?

also the Auto box any good? i looked on parkers and it states 0-60 of 9 secs!! but looked on here and did a rough maths calculaitons and i would have thought more like 8 ? anyone got thoughts ?

id prefer a manual really but thinking bout the auto
also anyone know any on know good place to sell your car apart from autotrader or anyone's relatives after a accord lol

cya

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
sounds a bit pricey to me. I reckon it should be around £2,300-ish with that mileage?

Auto is one of the more reliable units out there. It will add about 1s to the 0-60 time (in an old copy of what car magazine it reckons 9.5s 0-60 auto vs. 8.5s manual) - remember it's only a 4-speed auto and not a 5-speed, hence the ratios are longer. But with the Omega being a heavy car (approx. 1700kg) it takes a bit to get going, but once it's moving boy does it shift, especially if you use kickdown on the auto and/or sport mode :D

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
As Dan says, bit pricey, granted it is low mileage for a 98 £2500- £2650 tops. It is 8 years old now and they don't make em any more.

So should you buy one, all together now YES!! but be pre warned on the following;

Insurance = Group 15, at your age look at around £1500
Servicing = Check that all work has been done and stamped. Especially Timing belt and tensioners
Auto Box = Bullet proof, serviced regulary it should last longer than the car
0-60 depends on how you drive it. Nice and gently everywhere, makes a difference. Sports button on A/C off, firm grip, slap the pedal to the tarmac and hang on. You'll get about 7- 8 sec times. Like is said when she gets going make sure you have life insurance. As around 4,000rpm the Multi Ram intake, take over and you'll know about it.

All in all very sound cars, highly under estimated, great comfort, and an abundance of assistance on here should you need it.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Alan

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I forgot .... check the buyer's guide (sticky topic) for pointers, remember to check for rust and/or paint bubbles - especially on the backs of the rear doors (as they form part of the wheel arch) and along the bottom of the side windows - common fault due to Vx's brilliant corrosion proofing :rolleyes:

oh and V6's like to drink much more so than a 2 litre accord would do, make sure you take that into account!

·
VxON's only German Shepherd
6,939 Posts
manual elites do exist but are like rocking horse poop. You can go for a 2.5 cdx which is obviously slightly lower spec (but still pretty damned generous) but are a lot more available in manual guise, or there's the mv6 which would have the same 3.0 engine but be warned, pre 98 I think they're all ex police which are pretty pants spec, but after 98 they went on general release and had more generous spec (around cd/cdx spec).

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate. :)

Be warned, unlike the accord, this will require some maintenance, but is soooo much more rewarding to drive! :D

Simple equation is elite for tons of toys and comfort but with a very good autobox.
MV6 for less toys but manual, sports seats, firmer suspension and noticably quicker.

MV6 is less forgiving though, get it wrong, and you are in a world of trouble!

If I were you, I would go for an elite first, then if you love it, move on to an MV6.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi,

If you can afford the insurance at your age then so much the better!! HOWEVER, be prepared for big fuel bills over your accord. I recently purchased an Omega 2.5 CDX Auto. I got at best 20 MPG round town and I drive like a grandad! On a run it was much better at nearly 37 MPG but this, again, was like a grandad.

These cars are VERY comfortable with LOTS of toys. My CDX has Leather and the Electric Pack which gives you the heated seats front and rear, auto dipping mirror along with memory seats and mirrors. Also, as other have said, when in sports mode with the loud pedal pressed down hard, the performace is quite addicitive! I used to turn the radio down to hear that lovely V6 roar!

There was an excellent tread on here recently, http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80046 which one member did an excellent write up for another member in the same position as you. Give this a read along with the buying advice.

My Omega will shortly be up for sale - cannot really justify the fuel bills and was pining for my Cavalier CDX! Also, the fear of the dreaded rocker cover leaks and oil cooler failures kind of put me off to be honest. I always dreamed of owning an Omega and now I have.

Make sure what ever you get has a good history and look for evidence of good previous care - not just service history but also the general look and feel of the car. Are the door gaps clean?? What are the tyres like? Have the wheels been kerbed? Are the bumpers scratched? Do all panel gaps line up? Does everything work, including climate and sunroof?

Sorry about the lengthy post but hope that this helps and no, I am not trying to put you off.

**** EDIT ****

Sorry, forgot to mention above - make sure you get the two keys and also the passport for the car which gives all the security details. Also check that the CD Changer is a: present and b: has the disc magazine. Finally I think that 1998 was the year of the "mini facelift" with modified headlamps and wider tyres and other cosmetic changes. Others on here will be able to confirm I am sure.

·
Registered
173 Posts
the insurance shouldnt be to much.

i pay £491 tptf for a MV6 manual 1998 and im only 22 with 6 points and 2 years no claims.

just say mine had 67k when i bought mine and it cost me £1940. hpi clear etc.

they are great but you need a small petrol garage in your garden if you only do short trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi thanx four all you replies and advice

Hi

thanx for your comments and advice will look at that link and have a thinks

in regards to insurance mine at moment is £1200 fully comp under my name with 1 ncb (2 by arpil 14th touch wood) with norwich union
for the group 11 honda

Omega group 16 max 1200 + 32.92 on top

so for 4 groups up costed me just 32.92 was well surprised

hopefully if make it to 14 april then should be 532.92:rolleyes::lmao::rolleyes:
renewal comign through post

0-60 depends on how you drive it. Nice and gently everywhere, makes a difference. Sports button on A/C off, firm grip, slap the pedal to the tarmac and hang on. You'll get about 7- 8 sec times. Like is said when she gets going make sure you have life insurance. As around 4,000rpm the Multi Ram intake, take over and you'll know about it. Sounds good :rolleyes::lmao::rolleyes:Slac_Mac

Again thanx for all your advice will look around and try and hunt for a manual

cya
One last thing good working forumn

R

·
0 Posts
I may have a 2.5 V6 manual coming up soon. Just sorting some fine details at the moment. Now, this is not my Auto, it is another but manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi thanx for your quick response

the 2.5 v6 got a lot less, than the 3.0 was gona for one of them really but would be interested in peoples opinions

cant find manual 3.0 Elite for love nor money

could you post what detials mileage, etc is it thre Elite with the sat nav option fitted ?

best regards

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good luck with your 3.0 hunting.

I am in a replacement omega situation also, after wanting an elite some 4 months ago to replace a 2.0gls, ended up with a 2,5l cdx which was superb till the truck pushed me off the road... Spec of that car was fantastic, didn't really need anything more but that elusive elite badge was what I was after - ego boost possibly???

If only car insurance was that good when I was that age! Warrington area postcodes seem to attract a ridiculous premium.

I have seen a few half decent omegas on autotrader - one a 3.0 elite but auto which I may be looking at this weekend. Having had two manual omegas and an auto carlton cdi before that, i am of the opinion that the omega is better in large engine auto spec than manual, but that is probably me being lazy.

Others will have different opinions, but regardless of your preferences, when you find the car which is right for you, you won't be able to get it out of your mind, even after you have bought it in order to get the mileage up. They are brilliant cars and are safe - speaking from recent experience.

Maintenance is an issue, if you are handy with a spanner and not afraid to get your hands dirty then usually no problem. If you have problems, stick a message on here and someone will either answer it or arrive on your doorstep to help you with it!

Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I, like you, am 22 and I have a 3.0 V6 Elite Estate - Manual.

From my experience, my insurance hardly dropped when i got my second years no claims bonus :shame: so don’t expect your quote to go down to £500 from 1200.
How jaysmv6 got a quote for sub 500 with 6 points at only 21 is beyond me... lucky b*£&^@ ! haha
I currently pay about 900-1000 (can’t remember exact) for TPFT.

Petrol for the 3 litres is 20mpg around town and 35mpg on the motorway.
I have experimented with driving fast and slow but the figures never really change. It's always around 20 for town. I do roughly a 100miles a week so i fill up with £40 every 2 weeks. :eh

Insurance is a dodgy thing though. After trying multiple internet sites it was evident that they all use the same kind of system. You answer one way the quote goes up or down etc. I’ve tried inputting different yearly miles, places its parked, jobs, etc, nothing really changed.

From what i picked up these do seem to have an effect though:
· Manuals are MORE expensive than autos.
· NCB didn’t account for much of a bonus
· The stealability of the car is an interesting factor. From what i could figure, a 3L V6 omega is more secure and less likely to get stolen than a 1.8 diesel fiesta and therefore cheaper. Yes, my quote for a fiesta was more expensive than an omega!?!? who ever came up with that deserves a bonus :lmao:
· If you are willing to have a sex change and become a 'lady' your quote will be halved.
TheMOST important factor when coming to insurance i have learnt however:
· POSTCODE
If your postcode is considered to be a bad area, even if your road is a lovely little haven or has security guards with sniper rifles and guard dogs, your quote will still be much higher than a postcode in an area that the insurance company think is better.
If i moved literally down the road, my insurance would drop by several hundred pounds :rolleyes:

All of the above is my experience so far. yours may differ.

oh and the 4000rpm mark = heaven :cool:
the car basically transforms from a quiet refined cruiser into an animal. you will find your self doing close to 70mph in 2nd in no time at all, haha

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
one more thing to try on the insurance quote, I put my Mum on my policy as a named driver - even statinfg that the miggy would NOT be her main car - and it dropped my quote by £110. She had to validate this by driving it when I last visited though :rolleyes::lmao:

·
Registered
173 Posts
SH4RKY said:
Welcome to the forum!

I, like you, am 22 and I have a 3.0 V6 Elite Estate - Manual.

From my experience, my insurance hardly dropped when i got my second years no claims bonus :shame: so don’t expect your quote to go down to £500 from 1200.
How jaysmv6 got a quote for sub 500 with 6 points at only 21 is beyond me... lucky b*£&^@ ! haha

I dont really no why my policy is so cheap......

like i said im 22. 6 points and live near bristol(not a great place) but ok.

i am married and my wife is on the policy.

i went with www.admiral.com

i only cover 8k a year though.

with 1 year ncb it was £700ish. with 2 years its £491. paid monthly at £41.

f*&kin bargin i thought

for fully comp it would have been £670.

you really got to shop around. my requote from elephant was £589(i hunted around and got £491)

why dont you look into getting a MV6(thats wat i have done.) i now have elite leather £120/rear blind £45/cruise control £70 and dipping mirror £25.

the elite only has a few other bits.

oh and the MV6 comes with carbon fibre trim(not wood)

bit more sporty for a 22 year old

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im 20 and the insurance on my 2.0Gls is £750 which is cheaper than my astra 1.6 I had before, before my Audi 80 2.0 16v when I was 19 but it had a engine problem and I had to part ex it for the Omega lol!!! Much better car!!!!!! Omega that is

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
As above and got to say the auto box is without doubt, one of the best available (very nearly as good as the Jag XJ/K boxes) and really does make the big Omegas.
Reliability won't be as good as your Honda though.
More rewarding to drive? Not sure what that's about!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts