Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what gearbox I need to buy. There seems t be many variations.

My car is an Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi estate, 6 speed manual.

I have seen lots listed, under Astra, Vectra and Saab in the same advertisements. Also they have in brackets type 'F40'... Can anyone verify which one I need please.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, bit of a strange one. Went out the other day, and a noise developed while in 3rd gear. It was a scraping noise which was noticeable at low speeds, and got quicker as the car accelerated.

The sound was as if something was turning, but also oscillating, as if what was spinning, was also moving side to side , outside it's own axis maybe?

Anyway, I had no trouble changing gears, and the drive appear to be unaffected. That was until, I got back home and manoeuvred my car on my drive. Then as I was changing gear, it suddenly went stiff, and for a moment I couldn't get it into gear. Then it cleared and I was able to complete the parking. So next morning I tested the same thing, and again it was easy to change gear, until during the manoeuvring again something happened, and this time, as the car was moving, it was as if the brakes had been slammed on, or drive had been paused. I dipped the clutch, and took it out of gear, then struggled to get back into gear again. But this was only temporary, I tried again, and this time it went in and I got parked up ok.

I listened to the engine and changed all through the gears while stationary, and no noises straight away, but occasionally there is a low pitch whirling noise while in neutral.

So to conclude, I don't know what is going on here, but my thoughts are maybe there is a gear which instead of meshing, I am thinking maybe 2 teeth are coming together and jamming up intermittently......what do you think?

Chris

·
13,854 Posts
Usually it is only the synchromesh hubs that move to engage the drive, the gears themselves are always meshed. So when you change gear you don't actually change gear as such you lock one gear to the drive shaft via the moving synchro hubs.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Drop the gearbox oil and observe its state, looks for large metal filings/chunks of any description and go from there. Mine looked like metallic black paint before i rebuilt the box with all new bearings and endcase upgrade.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the car being picked up in the morning for a diagnosis. If it is a gearbox, what are my options? I don't think the age of the car warrants a brand new gearbox, so a rebuild or reconditioned units?

Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so anyway, a gearbox problem was diagnosed....
second hand gearbox £300....
while open, bought flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder....£300...
£400 labour to fit...8 hours apparently
ho hum....at least I have my car back

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everything of ebay I'm afraid....was quoted £690 for a reconditioned gearbox from my local garage, too steep for me, so I took a chance and got one from a salvage, in the thinking that a salvaged box is more likely to come from a less worn out car (maybe)...
The clutch, slave and flywheel were all new, and bought as a precaution, while all the engine was separated from the gearbox.
The labour was a little high, but I was told that the whole subframe and suspension wishbones, would have to be dropped. So I reluctantly paid out. It was either that or have the car outside in my front garden on stands for months, while I find time to do it myself.
Anyway we'll see if I made the right choice no doubt, but I did drive from Suffolk to Liverpool at the weekend, 544 miles round trip, and all good so far.
Thanks for all the advice, see you all on the next posts
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts