Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place!

I've just bought a used astra active 1.6 and all seemed ok when I first test drove it

However I noticed that even on long journeys doing 75-80mph the temp either sits around 70 or drops to 60.. outside temp here is about 6 degrees at the moment but any other petrol car I've driven, including a vauxhall in the past, have gotten up to 90 and stayed there even in the cold

My thoughts were the thermostat could be letting coolant through constantly, but Stoneacre do not agree and think it's running fine because it heats up to about 80 when sat still..

Who's wrong here?

Cheers!

·
15,367 Posts
They are.

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
You're right, Stoneacre are wrong

The stat has a standard wax pellet and is assisted by electric power in order to open the main valve earlier than original opening temperature.
It will start to open electrically at 90°C (194°F) under full load condition and will start to open mechanically at 105°C (221°F) under part load condition.
It will be fully opened at 120°C (248°F).

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
A failed stat is really common on these,sometimes it's the electric heater part that's the issue
as the heater comes as part of the stat usually a stat change sorts it out

Reactions: Adam Postgate

·
15,367 Posts
Your question was who was wrong, you or the garage.

My answer "They are" was I thought clear enough.

To make it really clear I believe the garage are mistaken and you have a faulty thermostat assembly. Your car should not be running that cold.
Valer has helpfully pointed you towards the part he believes is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your question was who was wrong, you or the garage.

My answer "They are" was I thought clear enough.

To make it really clear I believe the garage are mistaken and you have a faulty thermostat assembly. Your car should not be running that cold.
Valer has helpfully pointed you towards the part he believes is malfunctioning.
Ah OK great. Was just wondering if you were thinking the same thing, thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A failed stat is really common on these,sometimes it's the electric heater part that's the issue
as the heater comes as part of the stat usually a stat change sorts it out
So, a strange thing happened yesterday, I drove it for short journey, about half an hour and it actually got up to about 80° and then stayed around there, still not getting to 90 but is this more normal? And is there any reason it would have just randomly started getting up to temp?

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
I would expect to see greater temps than 80c, i reckon you should get running temps more like 95-105

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would expect to see greater temps than 80c, i reckon you should get running temps more like 95-105
How long do you reckon that should take?

It took me about 20 minutes to drive to work today, not driving economically and it only got to 75 towards the end of the journey and started cooling again..

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
I don't drive one myself but even my old clunker of a diesel was up to temperature (90c) in 10 mins this morning at -1 ambient

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't drive one myself but even my old clunker of a diesel was up to temperature (90c) in 10 mins this morning at -1 ambient
Yeah every car I've had would get to 90 in a matter of minutes, including the '07 agila 1.0l petrol I had a few years back.
Could do with finding someone else who drives with the same engine to find out how their's works.
It's also quite jerky in 3rd and 4th when accelerating from about 2,500 revs and they claim to have replaced the coil packs but that made no difference

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
Do you know the engine code ? if not,post the reg and i'll check

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
Got your pm Adam,it's an A16XER
just spoke to my son who's got the same car and engine
his warms up in 5mins but it does run fairly consistently at 90-95c,that's with a new stat we fitted a few months back

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got your pm Adam,it's an A16XER
just spoke to my son who's got the same car and engine
his warms up in 5mins but it does run fairly consistently at 90-95c,that's with a new stat we fitted a few months back
Oh nice, glad you got it working! Does he experience any jerkiness in 3rd/4th do you know? I'm guessing maybe the old bad coil packs damaged a plug

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
No,it's a smooth drive,gutless but smooth lol
have they code read it for any clues?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No,it's a smooth drive,gutless but smooth lol
have they code read it for any clues?
Haha I assumed that's how it should be!
I'm not sure, they have said they took it for a drive and found nothing wrong the first time but did the second time.
I'd hope they would have read codes to find the bad coil pack but again they just said they swapped a coil pack from another astra they had on the pitch
Going to take the mechanic for a drive in 10 minutes so will see what he says!
Thanks for all your help Valer, really really useful :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts