Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
13,725 Posts
We stayed on a farm in Devon and when we arrived the farmer gave us a jug and showed us the huge vat where the chilled milk was kept. He just said help yourself and let me know what you've had at the end of the week. We'll we would go in and just scoop the cream layer off the top. Absolutely delicious and can't really get much fresher.

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
We stayed on a farm in Devon and when we arrived the farmer gave us a jug and showed us the huge vat where the chilled milk was kept. He just said help yourself and let me know what you've had at the end of the week. We'll we would go in and just scoop the cream layer off the top. Absolutely delicious and can't really get much fresher.
My dad’s big toe hurts him occasionally , when he worked at the farm ( aged 16 ) he dropped a full milk churn on his foot.
I can just about remember my grandmas farm in North Devon & got used to seeing the milk churns going past the kitchen window on the trailer after milking.
Nice life being a farmer back in the 60’s.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The death knell for the milk man was not readily known even though the big supermarket started to appear sometime after the Second World War.
Tesco had a big store in London but decided after a while to branch out further north with their first supermarket outside of London , their chosen location was Leicester.
Not only did Tesco build the largest store in Europe ( back in 1961 ) the company also built a double helix shaped car park which could park 1050 cars.
It was called the Auto Magic Car Park due to it featuring coin operated barriers , the shoppers could take their fully laden Tesco trolleys to their cars after visiting the store , it was at the time a revolution & glimpse into a modern future.
It also had a filling station & a car wash out front , a big change from the old way of shopping for the people of Leicester.
Actor Sidney James opened the store & also helped pack your shopping at the till ! 😁
The filling station
The car park with Europe’s largest supermarket underneath.

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Leicester’s finest stand by their new fleet of Morris Minor police cars
Sometimes filling your car up was a pleasant start to your day
31CADAB5-7A48-402A-ABEB-D836F179ABB2.jpeg
They'd be uproar today if this was seen taking place , a pint of landlord slops ( Mild ) yuk ! but it was a cheap pint though

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,070 Posts
great thread and topic, albeit mildly depressing . good old days.
love looking back but always leaves a sense of sadness when you come back to the reality of the present
On Facebook, I've joined a couple of local history 'groups'. I don't have anything meaningful to contribute, but some of the old pictures that people dig out always fascinate me.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
On Facebook, I've joined a couple of local history 'groups'. I don't have anything meaningful to contribute, but some of the old pictures that people dig out always fascinate me.
likewise. i think the fascination comes from the huge changes between then and now. buildings and surroundings.
pictures of the past give a clear indication of a much humbler existence.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Likewise, I enjoy looking at pictures of our town as it used to be. I've also joined a couple of groups that cover the bus company where I worked as a fitter, back in the seventies. Some great pictures that bring back pleasant memories, but also, sadly, regular posts about people who have passed away.

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

A spot of exterior decorating on a Leicester Street.
The horse drawn milk float gets replaced by the new fleet of electric powered vehicles in the 1960’s , Leicester’s big dairy ( Kirby & West ) made the move over.
Left outside the pub whilst dad nips in to see a man about a dog , still at least you got a bottle of pop

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,070 Posts
I see that we're going backwards now in society. We have a milk man. He's generally around our area at 11.30pm and he uses an electric milk van.

But, it's now a plastic-free sustainable and reusable delivery model. So... a milk man with glass bottles.

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
We have had a milk man return to our close a few years back , he doesn’t have many homes to deliver to ( maybe 4 out of 22 )
We still have an ice cream van come around about 3ish in the afternoon , i had no idea of the cost of a new ice cream van till the other year when a maker of ice cream vans up Yorkshire had another company making cheap replica copies of their vans for a fraction of the price.
The real ice cream vans cost of £34,000 fully kitted & ready to go , the cheap copies cost much less but were also very dangerous as corners had been cut to save money.
The genuine firm wanted all the bogus vans found & destroyed as it had damaged their good reputation.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

A Leicester Street scene , some road works taking place , the pub in the background long since gone.
The earlier version of St Margaret’s bus station late 50’s
A photo showing industrial Leicester in the early 50’s , the canal ran at the back of a lot of factories ( ideal for moving goods ) Kirby & West dairies can be seen to the right & next to them is the goods offices of the LNER railway ( Leicester had 2 main line stations )
It was also a thriving hosiery & knitwear city right up until the late 90’s

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The Mods ride in to the city for a get together judging by the luggage on the back
Unadopted Road , ideal for kids & their 3 wheel cycles to ride on
Proof that flooding isn’t a new thing , looks like the river Severn burst it’s banks

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

When an old work mate started work in the 1950’s his first job was working at being an ice cream man , however he only had an ice box on a trailer & this was pulled along by a pony.
Enjoying the outdoor leisure facilities in a leicester park
The rag & bone man with a full cart , the children have come out to see the horse

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
These ladies are on a protest march through the city of Leicester to show their opposition to the closure of the Gateway school
A crafty fag being smoked , probably a Lambs Navy Cut
Most cities / towns / villages had one , cattle market. This is Leicester’s
The AA used Mini vans in the 60’s , this lady needs their help

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
1965 in Leicester , people were already complaining about the traffic , on the pedestrian crossing notice the female traffic warden directing the traffic
25958027-8982-4A2C-A404-CC01EA7C3C91.jpeg
A garage of the time , notice the 3 National fuel pumps on the frontage
The final few years of the once magnificent great central station in Leicester , trains to London had been stopped by 1966 & a local train service between Rugby & Nottingham started with 3 car DMU’s

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

And the race is on , luckily being downhill there’ll get some speed up & as for brakes there isn’t any
Deep in conversation , maybe talking about what their going to do later on
Supplies being obtained for the making of a good den

21 - 40 of 103 Posts