Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
I鈥檓 going to show some photographs of Leicester from a time not that long past.
Just a few each day , it may well evoke a few memories of times gone by for many of us 馃檪
Leicester Central station in the late 60鈥檚 .
A couple of Teddy Boys with their girls.
A Leicester car dealer.

Premium Member
Fred, I was born in 1952 and I loved every minute of it, what with the music and how people looked after each other as we were nearly always skint, loved the school holidays and in my memories it was always hot in the summer and bloody cold in the winter, nice photos too not sure if I have any lying around somewhere, will have to ask my sister if she has any - - - Dave

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #4

Dodgem cars were popular when the fair came to the city
once a popular sight , the local coal man delivering (My Dad had a coal business in the early 70鈥檚)
School dinners , the menu looks tasty not !!!

What's wrong with you, I love semolina!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
I remember getting the free milk at the morning break lol 馃槅
If the school lunch was nice we鈥檇 go back to see if we could get seconds before the canteen shut 馃榿

Worn Out Member
I liked school dinners too, although mine would have been 70's. More burger bun and chips, followed by ice-cream and fudge sauce:)
Neither can I really remember pre 70's cars. More early 70's on.
I'm keeping quiet,there's at least two types of the cars on Freds pics that i've owned 馃槺 馃ぃ

Premium Member
I'm keeping quiet,there's at least two types of the cars on Freds pics that i've owned 馃槺 馃ぃ
Did it have a crank start though? Then it's time to worry:ROFLMAO:
I can also remember petrol attendant service though, even I can go back that far. There was one garage where I used to live had this until the early 80's.

Worn Out Member
Fred was right with one of my cars,105e Anglia,i also had a 100e van,
first car was a 1953 Bedford dormobile that i bought for 拢10 at 16 and spent the year before i could take my test getting it fit for the road (it was used as a chicken shed until i bought it lol)
these youngsters just don't know what they're missing nowadays ;)

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #16

A 1950鈥檚 housing estate in the leicester suburbs , not a car to be seen
Early 1970鈥檚 & no recycling bins in sight , just the old metal refuse bin
224510F1-D391-4794-8920-36C6B0C6F6ED.jpeg
Remember when your pint of milk did this in winter ?

The cream is still there, just homogenised.

CavWeb Hooker
You can buy milk that hasn't been homogenised - look in the supermarkets for Graham's milk. I'm sure they do semi and full fat like that.

I keep meaning to go to a local farm that sells milk direct.

Premium Member
Oh yeah "homogenised" I think that can translate into s***e and as for the low fat and no fat stuff they sell. Might just as well . We used to live a few doors down from a farm that produced milk from Jersey cows. It was delivered in bottles straight from the farm and the cream was so thick it was difficult to get it out of the bottle when it was cold. Best milk we ever had. That was back in the seventies and eighties. I suppose we could find something similar where we are now but there isn't anything that stands out, but to be fair we haven't looked. I think up here in sunny Yorkshire most of the farming is arable and meat.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts