Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
N Power announce big job cuts in its call centre blaming fierce competition & the price cap on energy for their problems.
There is 64 suppliers of energy in the uk & it’s been revealed the average profit margin after costs is a mere 3%.
Customers want the cheapest price but at what cost to the industry & jobs ?
Many energy companies went bust recently & more could follow soon.
Now would nationalisation be worth the risk of tax payers money now we know the meagre profit margins ?

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
N Power announce big job cuts in its call centre blaming fierce competition & the price cap on energy for their problems.
There is 64 suppliers of energy in the uk & it’s been revealed the average profit margin after costs is a mere 3%.
Customers want the cheapest price but at what cost to the industry & jobs ?
Many energy companies went bust recently & more could follow soon.
Now would nationalisation be worth the risk of tax payers money now we know the meagre profit margins ?
Again its down to the Energy being privatised, which opens it up to anyone who can provide Electricity, Gas and so on, too many come to the market so they under cut each other, which in the end something has to give.

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
Not forgetting these companies have directors wages to pay & share holders dividends to pay out too, whilst still trying to become competitive within a very tight market.
We can thank the late Thatcher for starting that ball rolling, race to the bottom you may call it (I've started already).

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I don’t believe a word about the ‘meagre’ profit margins . they’re robbing [email protected]£&*€#s . no sympathy . tough.:mad:
UM Agreed wholeheartedly, although I also agree that it was Thatcher that started the rot of this country. Lots of businesses plead poverty whilst paying their executives stupid amounts of money and charging customers way over the odds for the products they sell. Top of the bunch, IMO, insurance companies. If any industry should be investigated it should be insurance companies.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in the day when my dad used cash & carry wholesalers for his grocery shop they were on 2% profit margins.
They relied desperately on a high turnover to make money.
I’d imagine at 3% profit margins , energy companies would be relying on big customer numbers to make money.
With fierce competition from smaller energy companies , the big 6 must be feeling the pinch.
It’s no different in the taxi trade messers Uber rock up with their cheap prices & every punter who uses taxis think it’s great , however it isn’t because that cheap ride means the driver can’t earn above £6 an hour after paying Uber & running a car.
Do the punters care ? No not one jot , because their getting something cheap at the expense of someone else’s living.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Back in the day when my dad used cash & carry wholesalers for his grocery shop they were on 2% profit margins.
They relied desperately on a high turnover to make money.
I’d imagine at 3% profit margins , energy companies would be relying on big customer numbers to make money.
With fierce competition from smaller energy companies , the big 6 must be feeling the pinch.
It’s no different in the taxi trade messers Uber rock up with their cheap prices & every punter who uses taxis think it’s great , however it isn’t because that cheap ride means the driver can’t earn above £6 an hour after paying Uber & running a car.
Do the punters care ? No not one jot , because their getting something cheap at the expense of someone else’s living.
Uber Executive at peak times is NOT cheap I'll have you know 😳😂

·
Likes this.
10,646 Posts
The leader of the Tooting Popular Front :)

I was a bit too young to understand it when it was on TV originally (born in 1971) but I did love it when I was a bit older, very funny.

Wolfie Smith, or Walter Henry Smith (yes, WH SMITH :ROFLMAO: )

Come the revolution my friend....... :)

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
The leader of the Tooting Popular Front :)

I was a bit too young to understand it when it was on TV originally (born in 1971) but I did love it when I was a bit older, very funny.

Wolfie Smith, or Walter Henry Smith (yes, WH SMITH :ROFLMAO: )

Come the revolution my friend....... :)
Yes Wolfie but it was his girlfriends mother used to call him Foxy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts