Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
Discussion Starter #22
Nope, genuinely didn't know haha.

Had it on an my M5 years ago, and it did my nut in. BONG..........BONG.........BONG, and messages on the dash saying, "WARNING - TYRE DEFECT!"

I'd pull over in a panic, check the tyre, and it would've dropped from something like 32 psi to 29 psi that month.

Premium Member
Nope, genuinely didn't know haha.

Had it on an my M5 years ago, and it did my nut in. BONG..........BONG.........BONG, and messages on the dash saying, "WARNING - TYRE DEFECT!"

I'd pull over in a panic, check the tyre, and it would've dropped from something like 32 psi to 29 psi that month.
The TPMS systems are no better on newer vaux's either, so you are not missing out. I know this from my K owning days. Fortunately my current J is on a 14 plate, last year without them. Just the traditional tyre valve to worry about, simples:)Although I'd take fob folding elec mirrors over my internal manual folding elec mirrors.

Registered
"tyre" pressure monitoring system works very well on my bmw .
If you can TELL just by looking the difference between 32 psi and 27 psi on a 275 35 19" rim ,then well done.
Even at the right pressure they look flat lol .
Tyres are the only things that keep you shiny side up ,and pressures really are crucial.
My bmw use a sensor on the abs ring I think.
My Laguna from years ago,used the tyre valve type .
It was one of the reasons the Laguna was awarded the First 5* ncap safety awards.
Nice car ,and would defo have another tomorrow

Discussion Starter #25
The TPMS systems are no better on newer vaux's either, so you are not missing out. I know this from my K owning days. Fortunately my current J is on a 14 plate, last year without them. Just the traditional tyre valve to worry about, simples:)Although I'd take fob folding elec mirrors over my internal manual folding elec mirrors.
Aye, come to think of it, my dad has the TPMS thing on his Mokka 1.4 Turbo.

Again, the M5 was the only car I had which came with folding mirrors, and the only benefit I saw was that they could be folded whilst entering my old single garage.

Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
"tyre" pressure monitoring system works very well on my bmw .
If you can TELL just by looking the difference between 32 psi and 27 psi on a 275 35 19" rim ,then well done.
Even at the right pressure they look flat lol .
Tyres are the only things that keep you shiny side up ,and pressures really are crucial.
My bmw use a sensor on the abs ring I think.
My Laguna from years ago,used the tyre valve type .
It was one of the reasons the Laguna was awarded the First 5* ncap safety awards.
Nice car ,and would defo have another tomorrow
I'm not remotely interested in having tyre pressure monitors,....not even 'given' ;) I've had circa 40 cars in my 30 years of driving. One car had it, and it got right on my Brads.

As for 275 35 19" tyres, I've never had them in my life.

Laguna,........OK :cool:

Premium Member
Aye, come to think of it, my dad has the TPMS thing on his Mokka 1.4 Turbo.

Again, the M5 was the only car I had which came with folding mirrors, and the only benefit I saw was that they could be folded whilst entering my old single garage.

View attachment 92168
I also prefer checking my pressures manually, no hardship. I used to have occasional false readings too with the tpms system on the Astra K, very annoying if you are on the motorway & instructed to stop ASAP, when you do so, all is fine. The most reliable tyre monitoring system I've used was on the previous Leon (VW tec), I think. Even then I'd prefer not to have it. I do like auto lights & wipers though. I think the wife's %(% has tpms sensors, self learns though (bonus), they've been 100% reliable over the last 2.5 years of ownership. Apart from once, when I had to manually self learn them using the cars relearn procedure. So maybe TPMs are a bit hit & miss, but an extra expense we don't really need. probably designed for people that never checked their tyre pressures. Maybe an auto tyre tread depth warning will be next, something else a driver doesn't really need if they're ontop of their maintenance.

Discussion Starter #28
I also prefer checking my pressures manually, no hardship. I used to have occasional false readings too with the tpms system on the Astra K, very annoying if you are on the motorway & instructed to stop ASAP, when you do so, all is fine. The most reliable tyre monitoring system I've used was on the previous Leon (VW tec), I think. Even then I'd prefer not to have it. I do like auto lights & wipers though. I think the wife's %(% has tpms sensors, self learns though (bonus), they've been 100% reliable over the last 2.5 years of ownership. Apart from once, when I had to manually self learn them using the cars relearn procedure. So maybe TPMs are a bit hit & miss, but an extra expense we don't really need. probably designed for people that never checked their tyre pressures. Maybe an auto tyre tread depth warning will be next, something else a driver doesn't really need if they're ontop of their maintenance.
Yeah same here, I run quality/branded tyres and do regular manual checks :)

Most cars don't have these monitors anyway.

I remember our MK5 Astra SRi having auto lights,.......not sure if this VXR has or not.

Super Moderator
Sadly many many owners of cars rarely lift their vehicles bonnets for those crucial weekly checks , as for tyre pressures well most owners don鈥檛 check unless someone tells them they鈥檝e got a flat tyre.
For the majority of motorists a car is an another extra expense that there鈥檇 rather not have , however they need a car to get to work & ferry the kids around & do the shopping so it鈥檚 a necessary evil.
As long as it starts starts then happy days.

Reactions: Boroboy

Premium Member
Sadly many many owners of cars rarely lift their vehicles bonnets for those crucial weekly checks , as for tyre pressures well most owners don鈥檛 check unless someone tells them they鈥檝e got a flat tyre.
For the majority of motorists a car is an another extra expense that there鈥檇 rather not have , however they need a car to get to work & ferry the kids around & do the shopping so it鈥檚 a necessary evil.
As long as it starts starts then happy days.
Yep, breakdown maintenance only:ROFLMAO:

Discussion Starter #32
All do I'm afraid now from 2014 on, tyre monitoring systems that is.
Do they really? Well I never knew that. I haven't owned cars as recent as 6 years old for a good while now :LOL: My fleet tends to be quite old.

That being said, I still reckon that the majority of cars on the road today, at this point in time, don't have the tyre monitoring system.

Premium Member
Do they really? Well I never knew that. I haven't owned cars as recent as 6 years old for a good while now :LOL: My fleet tends to be quite old.

That being said, I still reckon that the majority of cars on the road today, at this point in time, don't have the tyre monitoring system.
You'll have more tec goodies to look forward to, inc "emergency brake assist", another gizmo I could do well without. Although I did like the Android auto option with Google maps, via the usb port onto the cars screen/head unit. Don't have any of these with my J now, not even hands free.
You could take out the tpms sensors and replace them with standard valves, unfortunately you'd then get a warning dash light up, which I think would be a mot failure. With the K garages seem to charge around 拢150 (not dealers), to replace the full set of valves and sensors when they eventually fail. The sensors have batteries in them which sit on the inside of the car wheel (sealed unit). The valves can also be replaced seperatly, fortunately.

Discussion Starter #34
Makes me want to buy a Fiat 126 even more!!

Discussion Starter #35
6 months on,........

We've put about 2,500 miles on this car now (showing 89,500), with no major issues to report.

Still showing an amazing long term average of 30 mpg.

We took it down to Brighton in July (600+ mile round trip), and it was a joy on the motorways, cruising and blasting in 6th gear. Took four of us and our luggage comfortably too.

Only managed to get to one local car meet this year, with lockdowns and being in Brighton then France and what not.

MOT next month, so I'll have to get the full beam sorted (only sidelights and dipped beam work,....no flash either).

The driver's seat has decided to stop tilting forwards recently. A cable issue apparently.

Also, there is the odd puff of smoke occasionally, so the valve stem oil seals will need sorting at some point (Courtenay Sport noted this when they fitted the new turbo last year). Common thing on these engines, and not expensive to sort.

Discussion Starter #36
Oh, and I removed this tired old battery the other day........

And replaced it with this.......

Discussion Starter #38
Yep, I was a Bosch battery man for years. Sounds like they've really gone down hill though recently.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts